Sign in to follow this  
autopilot

What's the difference b/w FSX and MS Flight? And Future of FSX?

I'd say that the common thing those two is that MS abandoned both. They main difference is, of course, that MS Flight is actually a game, which is available as a free downlaod, but contains in-game purchases, and it covers only a very limited part of the world (some Hawaiian Islands as well as the rest of Hawaii and Alaska as an optional purhcase), whereas FSX is simulator, and it covers the whole world by default.

Now, since both are "dead" for Microsoft, chances are practically zero, that there will be "official" MS addons (MS will not add any new airplanes to either product). However, there are some very much alive developers, particularly for FSX. You need to keep in mind, though that if you want a specific addon in a specific quality, you might be limited even within FSX - some types of planes simply aren't available for whatever reason, at elast ithin a certain price and quality range.

Since you mention the A330: Why don't you search the library for "Thomas Ruth A330"? This guy has some really great freeware model for the A330 (amongst a few other planes).

The "game"has better flight dynamics than the "simulator".

The default planes your probably right....But let me tell u...the popular payware addons.........Bang on ;)

Source - I'm a RW Pilot.

George Kyriazis | www.georgekonline.com

ELB729.png

Oh! Guys! Most of the guys are saying that FSX will not be finished. Even though they're also saying MS Flight has finished.

So tell me why Microsoft isn't supporting more about FSX? I chatted with MS help, they answered MS Flight and Simulator are same. Second I sent e-mail to MS, they didn't reply me. Third I tweet them, they said we don't know about this game`s future. So what's this? Now you guys tell me please?

Now, FSX is not being developed by MS either. You can still purchase and activate it just fine. But the development tools have always been available, therefore the community can continue to develop and support FSX.

So, if you say there are many free development tools then send me any Boeing 777's link which is working well in FSX? Remember, that should be free. I've not seen any freeware 777.

Because ACES is gone.  The code was "sold" to LM.  FSX is over 6 years old.  It is only being kept alive because it was the final verson, and only now computers can run it decently.  Many people will slowly switch to P3D and Xplane.  FSX is still good, but I can see it dying within a few years.   Heck, many people are still using FS9 from 2004.

Flight is gone, it was a game.

Microsoft don't see the profits in computer games any more.  It costs too much, and more people now have the consoles such as Xbox ect.

The flight sim community is small compared to Call Of Duty.

I think you are confused what a development tool is.  It is NOT a 777 LOL, it is something like GMAX or FS Design studio ect.  FSX also came with the SDK but I am not in development so I am not going to fully answer this.

Flight is a limited flight simulater due to lack of content.

Or is it that FSX is a more detailed game?

People can mix and match the words according to thier own preconceptions.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Right... here goes..

Flight a game... yes, has been discontinued!

Flight Simulation X a simulator?  .... Well, it came from Microsoft's GAMING Studios!!! for ENTERTAINMENT, so, call it what you will, it still a game!! & has been discontinued!

Microsoft had & did sell Flight Simulation X to the public as a 'game'.

It also sold 'ESP' which was a 'pro' version. THIS is what Lockheed Martin has the license for, has developed it (versions 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 & now version 2.0) as a training tool, not for entertainment. No debates here about the word 'entertainment' as it has been debated to death. BUT you CAN buy it as a 'training' tool & still have fun with it!

As far as developing the programs & add-on's such as scenery, planes, etc...

This has been done by a whole lot of both freeware & payware developers, so there is no lack of anything, except for add-ons for 'Flight"

As far as add-ons go... look at the various sites... www.avsim.com, www.flightsim.com, www.sim-outhouse.com.

You will find a huge amount of addons.

X-Plane, well, another simulation that you can look at.

Aerofly? dunno about this one, but certainly not a mainstream program.

Comparing 'Flight' with 'P3D'...

impossible, as they are so different & targeted as different users.

A question to ask yourself.. 

what is the way to go?

Flight - discontinued, NO support, No add-ons.

FSX -  discontinued, NO support, plenty of add-ons both freeware & payware.

Prepar3d -  very current, Plenty support, plenty of add-ons both freeware & payware.

Also:

FS2004/FS9 - discontinued, NO support, plenty of add-ons both freeware & payware

X-Plane - current, supported, plenty of add-ons (I think)

Me? well, I still use FS9 - 2x versions & Prepar3dv1.4. I dumped FSX in favour of this.

Flight? I had as well, but dumped. I'm using an i5 laptop, Windows7 64bit with 4GB RAM.

If your computer is not up to scratch, you WILL have problems.

FLog wrote::

'I'd say that the common thing those two is that MS abandoned both. They main difference is, of course, that MS Flight is actually a game, which is available as a free downlaod, but contains in-game purchases, and it covers only a very limited part of the world (some Hawaiian Islands as well as the rest of Hawaii and Alaska as an optional purhcase), whereas FSX is simulator, and it covers the whole world by default. - STILL A GAME!

Now, since both are "dead" for Microsoft, chances are practically zero, that there will be "official" MS addons (MS will not add any new airplanes to either product). However, there are some very much alive developers, particularly for FSX. You need to keep in mind, though that if you want a specific addon in a specific quality, you might be limited even within FSX - some types of planes simply aren't available for whatever reason, at elast ithin a certain price and quality range.'- Microsoft had never added any planes or add-ons for their products! Offical or otherwise!

Hope this helps :-)

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

I don't know why you all keep amusing the OP, but he is an obvious troll. Just look at all his posts.

Excuse me for disagreeing here, but he is seeking information. Most of us who visit these forums regularly do of course know that FSX has been dropped, and that Flight not considered a serious simulator (ignoring the fact that it's been stopped as well), but if you aren't a regular follower of the developments in the flight sim business you might as well not notice theses developments as fast as others do.

Now, if one doesn't know something, it is not a sign of weakness to ask, but it is a weakness not to ask (unless of course you have to fear that others will do nothing but call you a troll - not very encouraging, is it?)! Of course, some of the questions the OP has asked in the past may seem pretty trivial to you, but think back to the time when you got into flight simming: Did you know and understand anything immediately? Doubtfully, unless you have learned the basics of all those things during your professional carreer. If you don't think it is worth to answer, just don't do it, but please don't call others trolls, just because they ask questions you don't care to answer.

To AP:

1) FSX is no longer supported by MS, because it is an old piece of software - it has been released in 2006! The development team has since been dismissed, hence support in terms of fixing bugs is no long possible anyway. The only possible thing are workarounds, and this is what the community is good at: Writing code, building models etc to improve your experience, be if for free or as payware, to push this old piece of code to its limits (sometimes even beyond that, it seems).

So if you need technical documentation, MS still provides some info, if you have issues to be resolved, you need to look for some options in the community. MS will not help you here anymore, because obviously they can't. This has been made clear by what you wrote: They told you that FSX and Flight are the same, which simply is not the truth!

2) It is unlikely that MS will ever continue the Flight Simulator series, since the market seems to be rather small, but it would require quite some expenses to adapt to the newest technology. Hence this kind of entertainment software does not really look like a commercially successful way, no matter what we simmers would like to see!

3) As for the 777: There are some T7s available for free, but it's hard to tell which ones will work in FSX as they are supposed to - all I am aware of are FS9 native, which can cause some trouble, especially when the gauges rely on the default FS9 777's gauges. But you won't lose a lot if you download one of those available at simviation.com after the other and see if one of those work as you expect it.

MS FLIGHT was once the hope of many of us to get an FS 11 or FS Next, or whatever.

We learned latter that it's roots, the work and projects internally started long before it was even announced, had the power to make it become probably the best civil flight simulation platform after fsx.

The product that ended up being released as MS FLIGHT was far from the initial objectives of the team working on it, but revealed most of the excellent aspects of that project. Updated graphics at a level that, IMO, is ahead of what we can get with FSX DX10 or P3Dv2, or X-.Plane 10 ( and I use them all ), and with many other features that were rather promissing, such as redesigned flight dynamics ( allowing for some aspects of flight physics to be simulated like never before in MSFS... ), a weather model that with the release of the Alaska Wilderness pack revealed also part of what might have been a trully remarkable weather system for a flight simulator, etc...

Just like with others here at AVSIM, MS FLIGHT was the reason I returned to flight simulation, after 4 yrs away from it. If not for other reasons, this was in itself a very good aspect, at least for me, of having been able to enjoy what I trully enjoyed in that great FLIGHT SIMULATOR, setting the bar high, and making me remember, and missing some of it's great potential when I decided to re-install fsx, then x-plane, dcs, aerofly fs, etc...

We were very close, IMO, to the PERFECT civil flight simulator. Maybe one day we can get back  and start from where it was left... one never knows...

As a private pilot, at more than 32 yrs , I was never able to feel so, "like being there" as I felt "flying" some of the best aircraft in MS FLIGHT, in the Hawaiian and Alaska sceneries.

Edit: in agreement with Steve's post bellow, I do keep a very open eye on the evolution of Aerofly FS too ;-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I don't know why you all keep amusing the OP, but he is an obvious troll. Just look at all his posts.

I did wonder......... but actually, I don't think he is trolling.

I think he's just someone casually into FS and who just maybe comes here every 6-12 months, and instead of reading and catching up, just asks pretty basic questions.     But it is a discussion forum and it's snobbish of us to look down on those not yet as absorbed into the hobby, and asking basic questions.

I do agree that the thread has gotten far too repetitive and self indulgent though.    It was probably sufficient to say to him, yep, MS has abandoned them both, so neither will have new content, but FSX has a huge 3rd party development aspect.

MS FLIGHT was once the hope of many of us to get an FS 11 or FS Next, or whatever.

We learned latter that it's roots, the work and projects internally started long before it was even announced, had the power to make it become probably the best civil flight simulation platform after fsx.

The product that ended up being released as MS FLIGHT was far from the initial objectives of the team working on it, but revealed most of the excellent aspects of that platform. Updated graphics at a level that, IMO, is ahead of what we can get with FSX DX10 or P3Dv2, or X-.Plane 10 ( and I use them all ), and with many other features that were rather promissing, such as redesigned flight dynamics ( allowing for some aspects of flight physics to be simulated like never before in MSFS... ), a weather model that with the release of the Alaska Wilderness pack revealed also part of what was might have been a trully remarkable weather system for a flight simulator, etc...

Just like with others, MS FLIGHT was the reason I returned to flight simulation, after 4 yrs away from it. If not for other reasons, this was in itself a very good aspect, at least for me, of having been able to enjoy what I trully enjoyed in that great FLIGHT SIMULATOR, setting the bar high, and making me remember, and missing some of it's great potential when I decided to re-install fsx, then x-plane, dcs, etc...

We were very close, IMO, to the PERFECT civil flight simulator. Maybe one day we can get back  and start from where it was left... one never knows...

As a private pilot, at more than 32 yrs , I was never able to feel so, "like being there" as I felt "flying" some of the best aircraft in MS FLIGHT, in the Hawaiian and Alaska sceneries.

Good post Jcomm, that covers it rather well. Except AeroflyFS is still learking in the background, but you know that.

Steve

MS Flight is a free game and FSX is a flight simulator 

Hypothetical situation.

I grab my football and invite my friends to go outside to:

1 Play a Game of Soccer

2 Play a Simulation of Soccer

Please explain to me what the difference is ?

Hello, Guys!

Have you played MS flight? If YES then please tell me "What's the difference b/w FSX and MS Flight?"

Also what do you think will Microsoft add new Aircrafts like B777, A330, A380 etc in next versions? Some people say that Microsoft will finish the FSX in future. So how much is it right?

Best Regards,

AP,

are you from the past, welcome to AVSIM time traveler :lol:  :P