Sign in to follow this  
Milviz

P3D V2

Alright. A word on P3D V2 compatibility and our EULA.

As of this moment, if you wish to use any of our existing products in P32D v2, that's ok. (if you already own them). However, from this point onwards, as we make new installers for our products, that EULA will change.

P3D V1.4 and FSX will be considered one platform and P3D V2 and onwards will be considered a separate platform and therefore, product line from FSX.

This is due to the fact that work is ongoing in the P3D SKU but not so in the FSX SKU. This will allow us to add further functionality to our products (a good thing) but also means that we now have to supply two product streams and support both... (a bad thing... maybe?)

Yes, this means that you will have to pay twice for the "same" aircraft on two different platforms.

I am still looking at pricing concerns if you want both...

Just as an FYI, other major devs are going to be doing the same thing and it's no surprise.

As time passes, we will be upgrading each of our products to be P3D V2 native. When that happens, the product page for each will change as will the EULA for it.

We will be implementing the changes necessary to prevent anyone from using P3D V2 with a P3D V1.4/FSX product in P3D V2.

I know some of you will be upset and though you might consider your "anger/frustration/rage" justified, this is not the place to vent. Any and all "venting" will be deleted and banned.

That said, constructive criticisms or comments are welcome.

Colin Pearson.

Creative Director
Military Visualizations

Please contact oisin at milviz dot com for forum registration information.  Please provide proof of purchase if you want support.  Also, include the username you wish to have.

Thank you Colin. Totally fair, logical and straight forward IMO! Oh, and congratulations on being the first one to explain in detail ! Now, wheres that King Air? :)

Coming... but it's not even on the radar yet...

Please contact oisin at milviz dot com for forum registration information.  Please provide proof of purchase if you want support.  Also, include the username you wish to have.

Will you offer "upgrade" pricing for owners of existing FSX/P3D 1.4 licensed products that wish to now use them in P3D 2?

Yes but pricing on that has not yet been resolved.  It won't, however, be expensive, especially for older products.

Excellent news, very reasonable policy in that case.  I look forward to seeing what you can do with P3D 2!

Will you offer "upgrade" pricing for owners of existing FSX/P3D 1.4 licensed products that wish to now use them in P3D 2?

Yes but pricing on that has not yet been resolved.  It won't, however, be expensive, especially for older products.

While debating to myself on the pre-order for the Bell 407, I was going to ask this very question. 

I do appreciate the clear nature of your stated policy.  I do sincerely hope there will be a price break / discount / incentive on yet-to-be-released products for people who wish to have the same add-on functional for both platforms.  I have decided that P3Dv2 doesn't have a stable enough add-on base for me to completely switch over; therefore for the next while I'll be purchasing add-ons with the intent on using within FSX.

Any add-ons which require me to purchase a second time, at full price, for P3Dv2, will mean that those add-ons will not get purchased at all until such time as I'm comfortable making the decision on which platform to support 100%.

However, if I can take comfort in the knowledge that I can buy now for use in FSX, and be able to then buy the P3Dv2 version down the road for a reduced price / upgrade fee, then I'll be more than willing to purchase as usual.

(i.e. In the first scenario, a developer will make nothing off me in the short term, and since my buying habits tend to trend towards the latest releases, there is a chance they may never see the sale from me.  In the second scenario, they may eventually see 150% of my purchase!)

It's a difficult thing from a consumers point of view, and more so I would imagine, from a developers point of view.  Although I'm more than accepting of the fact that the newer features that P3Dv2 will offer going forward requires a separate product, I do worry that it will splinter the customer base if the sales of the separate products are not handled in a manner that doesn't force the consumer to make difficult choices.

I for one, do not like hard choices!  A good portion of my add-on purchases are semi-impulsive, meaning I don't plan them out a long time in advance - but I do (perhaps sometimes too quickly) rationalize their purchase.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

If you wish to buy for both, we will offer that and it will not be, for the moment, an expensive upgrade.

However, as the differences between p3d and fsx become greater, that will change until, yes, one day, the price will be for two different products.

Heck, we may even stop producing for fsx. Much like we do not do fs9 products.

If you wish to buy for both, we will offer that and it will not be, for the moment, an expensive upgrade.

Thanks for the confirmation of this.

I fully understand that as the difference between the platforms increases, the item itself becomes different as well - I wouldn't expect a developer to offer a FSX and a X-Plane addon together, for example.  I would suspect that when / if the day approaches that P3D makes the move to 64bit, that will end any attempt at cross-compatibility.

Heck, we may even stop producing for fsx. Much like we do not do fs9 products.

I do hope that day is far, far away.  At least, when it does come, perhaps that means that P3D will be a viable, stable platform for all!

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.