Sign in to follow this  
DarkstarF16

Lucky to be alive!

I never imagined I would experience one of those “I’m lucky to be alive” moments in a flight simulator!

I live about 30 miles from Heathrow and today the weather was overcast with heavy cloud. With the advent of Active Sky Next, my plan was to first get my AS2012 working with P3D so that when ASN is optimised for it, I have something to compare with. That’s why I made the video.

After a little bit of fiddling, I set up P3D with Maximum cloud cover and switched on volumetric fog. Started the flight and let the weather inject. Quite impressive I thought (never seen this much overcast in FSX, although I’ve heard it does now with ASN,) so time to do a quick circuit of EGLL as a test.

SETTINGS:

Scenery Complexity = MAX

Autogen = Both one notch from MAX

Cloud Coverage = MAX

Draw Distance = 80 miles

Volumetric Fog = ON

AI = 30%

Vehicles 30%

EGLL Heathrow Extreme

FPS - around 23 at the start of the flight EGLL is such a hog.) I had no idea how the PC would cope with such adverse conditions.

The real flight was not as jerky as the video, the video capturing software was taking its toll. The weather and settings, were going to push my PC to its limits anyway. I never expected what happened towards the conclusion of the test flight though, but just shows, you have to be Prepar3d!

I simply call the video - …Help!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f3nhzfc6yt1442e/VFR.avi

Thanks for sharing...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I didn't realise it's not the full version, it's what happens at the end that's really interesting... Just trying to upload it somewhere else.

Because I went and added music to it... BUT the penny has just dropped that because I've put music on it, I should go and try and remove the sound. As a link to it on Dropbox would be just as bad!

Link to soundless video. It's a shame because it's only the first third. I would have liked to discuss what happened at the end as I've never experienced it before.

It's only taken a few hours but if anyone is interested here is the full video. I know its 10 min long but it was done purely as a reference video.

If anyone bothers to watch till the end it why I said it was nice to survive...

COMPLETE

LOL thanks... I'm glad that you think the same as me.

Was SO Unexpected, at first I thought the PC was having a glitch. I have to say it has been my most memorable flight EVER.

P3D is full of surprises. :)

Heh!!  I knew what was coming the moment I saw the other aircraft.  Next time ATC tells you to go around, I'll bet you do it. :D

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Well I've never had that happen EVER. Didn't even know it did that. Your damn right I will. Simmers take note :)

Just wondering why were you flying the approach so low? If you want to avoid wake turbulence in the real thing fly above the flight path and land past the touch down point of the other aircraft.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I hit wake turbulence once in AS2012.  I think I turned it off after that, mostly for performance reasons when I turned off some other generated effects.  Dunno if wake turbulence caused any performance problems.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

My first attempt with AS2012 was not very successful, so I made it my mission to make it work. I was simply testing the how the weather affected the sim. I do that short flight to see how things perform after a fine tune of the sliders.

Was just messing around and never even expected to see another aircraft.