Sign in to follow this  
Howiefly13

Realistic Zoom Setting?

Yeah, this is why I say that not everyone will like the effect of a high zoom.  There's really no one correct answer, and the Math involved is just a way to get to the wrong answers with confidence and accuracy. 

In the end, the correct zoom is the one you like the best, and it may not be the same for all aircraft.

Hook

Like I wrote before, I like the outside view appearance when the mathematically "correct" zoom is used, and it does seem like a more realistic representation of real life vision.  But the virtual cockpits don't seem to be made correctly to use this zoom setting. Why is that, if this is the most accurate zoom setting?

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

But the virtual cockpits don't seem to be made correctly to use this zoom setting. Why is that, if this is the most accurate zoom setting?

Think of it as looking through a window the size of your computer monitor.  That's all you're going to see.  I wore out the trig buttons on my calculator trying to figure out the correct zoom.  For me, a zoom of 1.5 makes the instruments and seat (for example) look life size on the monitor.  Heidi's head in the A2A Cub is too big, but that's because she's actually closer than my screen is.

When I was flying the Stearman in Microsoft Flight, I had to use a lower zoom because the panel appeared way too close.  All other aircraft used a higher zoom and looked fine to me.

Oddly enough, a 1.5 zoom doesn't seem to be enough in the C172 compared to the real thing, but I'm not willing to go any higher.

Keep in mind that in the real aircraft the seats are adjustable.  If you can't see enough of the panel, move back a bit.

Basically, don't worry about "correct."  Just use what looks best to you, and works best.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

The biggest problem with 1.00, and I think why default is pulled back to .70 and the VC's designed the way they are is because at 1.00+ you greatly notice distant terrain textures not loaded yet because of the LOD. So you see more blurry terrain and it almost wants to force your hand to increase LOD to 5.5/6.5 to compensate for it. Pulled back to .7 or .6 it's zoomed back enough to fall into the category of "fooling your eye" into believing it's "sharp" out in the distance even though it isn't.

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

The biggest problem with 1.00, and I think why default is pulled back to .70 and the VC's designed the way they are is because at 1.00+ you greatly notice distant terrain textures not loaded yet because of the LOD.

I don't think I've ever seen this effect at 1.5 zoom.  I do occasionally see the mesh go to higher resolution.  I'm not doing anything special with my settings. 

Some people may notice this more than others.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

The farther the zoom the more of a feeling of speed us IFR/Bush flyers get.
Terrain zooms past you faster.

Far zoom+accufeel= 300s high speed immersion

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

When I use wide aspect = true, with a 1.0 zoom the outside view looks fine, but now I feel like I'm leaning forward, with my face practically against the windshield. 

This is how it actually is in real life though - you don't see the entire cockpit *and* the outside view the way a lot of simmers set it up. You have to move your head and eyes and develop a scan pattern to keep track of both the instruments and what's going on outside.

• Upvote 1

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

This is with Wide Aspect View at Zoom 1.0:

http://arwenevecom.ipage.com/Flight/Images/Prepar3d/WideAspectZoom1-Bonanza.jpg

I don't think think this is how it actually looks in real life.

This is what I get after moving my eyepoint back where I think it should be, and looking down a bit:

http://arwenevecom.ipage.com/Flight/Images/Prepar3d/WideAspectZ1-Bonanza_MoveBack.jpg

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

I'm sticking with Hooks complicated philosophy on this matter.. ^_^  Skip all the hub-bub and just use what is comfortable for you..  :lol:

• Upvote 1

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

With tripple-screen (eyefinity 2920x1050) its 0.8-1.0 for me. With 0.6 I miss the runaway almost every time :( . With 1.0 never :rolleyes: . And with helos I tend not to overcorrect. As mentioned above, it depends very much on the type of cockpit. The carenado skymaster is a good example that works fine with 1.0 IMHO. I also use TIR and on occasion I use a set of default gauges on my ipad as an additional help. Just my two cents.....

This is with Wide Aspect View at Zoom 1.0:

http://arwenevecom.ipage.com/Flight/Images/Prepar3d/WideAspectZoom1-Bonanza.jpg

I don't think think this is how it actually looks in real life.

This is what I get after moving my eyepoint back where I think it should be, and looking down a bit:

http://arwenevecom.ipage.com/Flight/Images/Prepar3d/WideAspectZ1-Bonanza_MoveBack.jpg

Your first image is more reflective of the real world. Because...

Please try this simple experiment. Get an old cardboard toilet roll and cut two 2cm long pieces off. Now place them in front of your eyes. This will remove your peripheral vision. I know it's not accurate, but it makes the point. It also simulates what you see at around zoom 1.00 in your first image.

Because we have swivelling eye sockets and a swivelling head, (stating the obvious) that is simulated by your second image. I don't think either of your images are right or wrong.

On a three monitor setup, horizontal vision is greater, the image has to be stretched and offset with a higher zoom. In the meantime, we need more monitors, an IMAX type set up or a fully functional Oculus Rift. Now wouldn't that be cool? (Yes, the list could go on...)

Hope all my ramblings make sense. :)

I'm sticking with Hooks complicated philosophy on this matter.. ^_^  Skip all the hub-bub and just use what is comfortable for you..  :lol:

+1

I use wide aspect = true and a zoom of 0.70. Gives me the best view on the panel (still have to look around with TrackIR though) and on the outside world. Zoom below 0.70 starts to make the fish eye lens effect (too) obvious and zoom above 0.70 starts to make the scenery look less sharp and things in the distance become more pixelated and obviously fake. You also notice the loading of textures more. Treu and 0.70 is the perfect compromise for me personally.

1.0 here with WideAspect=True.  It is the only zoom that will give you the ability to judge speed and distance realistically.  Zoomed out makes it appear that you are travelling much faster than you really are and things appear farther away than they really are.  Zoomed in and the opposite occurs.  I prefer realistic.

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

1.0 here with WideAspect=True.  It is the only zoom that will give you the ability to judge speed and distance realistically.  Zoomed out makes it appear that you are travelling much faster than you really are and things appear farther away than they really are.  Zoomed in and the opposite occurs.  I prefer realistic.

Same as you Martin (and others that have said this).  Regardless of all the preferences found here and elsewhere, this is the simply the only "correct" setting.  Of course, users can set the zoom any way they like, but it will be because they prefer it, not because that's how it should look.

Cheers

Paul Golding

Well, I like the extra sensation of speed (some planes are slow enough already  ^_^ ) and I also like the added fake peripheral view. About the setting being correct and realistic: which real life pilot watches his world looking through a box…?  :rolleyes: Flying on a pc will never look realistic, well, maybe until Oculus Rift becomes available. I rather have a view I like than a correct one.  ^_^

Never been sure what I'm doing wrong but with the VC, if I zoom in more than 80% then move the seat back to where most of the gauges are visible. I loose the click spots. So I always ran at 60 to 70% zoom factor in the VC.