Sign in to follow this  
MarkSC

First OOM--at 3 GB VAS

I had my first OOM ever today (never had one in FSX).  I'm running Win 8.1 (64 bit), so there should be 4 GB available VAS. After the OOM, I recreated the flight and set up FSUIPC to log the available VAS.  It showed 1.1 GB free VAS when the OOM occurred.  Task manager showed the same.  

So, the question is, why I am I getting an OOM with less than 3 GB VAS usage?  I was flying the Real Air Duke around Edinburgh with FTX Global.  I have a GTX 780 (3 GB), and VRAM usage was under 2 GB.  

Has anyone else seen this or know a solution?  Is it just a rogue OOM from FTX or the Real Air?  My P3D settings are reasonable (4.5 LOD, 1024x1024 textures, etc.).

Have you tried using a plane that is actually compatible with P3Dv2?  Rob will be the first to tell you his planes aren't P3D 1.4 compatible, let alone P3Dv2 compatible. 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

I would agree that it may be the plane. It could be so many things really. Possibly an unstable OC?

Bob

I had my first OOM ever today (never had one in FSX).  I'm running Win 8.1 (64 bit), so there should be 4 GB available VAS. After the OOM, I recreated the flight and set up FSUIPC to log the available VAS.  It showed 1.1 GB free VAS when the OOM occurred.  Task manager showed the same.  

So, the question is, why I am I getting an OOM with less than 3 GB VAS usage?  I was flying the Real Air Duke around Edinburgh with FTX Global.  I have a GTX 780 (3 GB), and VRAM usage was under 2 GB.  

Has anyone else seen this or know a solution?  Is it just a rogue OOM from FTX or the Real Air?  My P3D settings are reasonable (4.5 LOD, 1024x1024 textures, etc.).

Running out of VAS isn't the only way you can OOM. In addition to space that space must also be contiguous, so if the app is calling for say space for 50MB but the largest contiguous space available is only 48MB you will OOM, even if you actually had an overall  total of 400MB available. I can't imagine with 1.1GB space available this would be the case here, but it is possible. Are you checking the space with the task manager, or Process Explorer? If the former you should use PE to get a more accurate figure. 

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

So, the question is, why I am I getting an OOM with less than 3 GB VAS usage?

Please post your system specs in the My PC part of your profile. It will help people in addressing your issue.

Also, certain versions of Windows have an OOM issue that has nothing to do with addressable RAM limit of 4 GB:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947246

The problem has been fixed by default in both Win 7 x64 and Win 8.

I'm using RA Turbine Duke w/ FTXG and ok so far w/ regard to OOMs.  This link is a thread related to performance in a high-complexity airport add-on:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/428783-do-you-think-v2-can-get-anywhere-near-this-performance-in-similar-scenarios/#entry2876579

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X