Sign in to follow this  
Patrick1246

ASN dll affect other WX Addons

Today, I had my first testflight with ASN, on my second flight I used FSGRW, I had strange wind issues with FSGRW on my Approach, after reading this on the FSGRW Facebook Page, I know why...

Today we found out, that ASN is blocking FSGRW and possibly weather other add-ons. They install a dll, which is active even when ASN itself is not. This blocks correct access of FSUIPC for us. I have posted on their forum and hope for fast and final solution. We consider it a no-go that one developer blocks another one. What do you, the users, say?

Thanks very much Hifi, ASN uninstalled, and I never buy a Hifi Addon again...

Patrick Tinner

Excuse me, but this is the first we've heard of this complaint/issue, however it is fully documented that ASConnect overrides certain FSUIPC weather features.  On ASN uninstall, ASConnect is removed, and such FSUIPC functionality is restored.

We've requested the developer to contact us for resolution, and he has made the same claim that we have intentionally blocked other developers (on our own forums).  This of course is not true.  He hasn't contacted us directly as of yet.  We've been testing for over one year and not once has this issue come up.  If it had, we would have addressed this.

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

There are very few people who draw the same conclusions from the way FTX Global works ...

EDIT I:

FSX real weather is blocked; ASE can update the FSX wx, though.

EDIT II:

There are a couple of reports here on AVSIM from people using ASN and OPUS alternatively. They don't seem to have this kind of a problem.

Edited by olli4740

So, as a temporary workaround, one could

• set up a shortcut for the ASConnect on his desktop
  • right-click on the shortcut
  • select 'Open File Location' from the context menu
  • rename the ASConnect to *.OFF

and is good to go with any other weather (addon) he wants to?

The easiest way at the moment to disable ASN and ASConnect is to uninstall ASN.  An alternative method is to disable the as_connect entry in the dll.xml as desired (or just restore the ASN backed-up dll.xml file).

We are in contact with the developer and are working on a more elegant and permanent resolution.

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Today, I had my first testflight with ASN, on my second flight I used FSGRW, I had strange wind issues with FSGRW on my Approach, after reading this on the FSGRW Facebook Page, I know why...

Thanks very much Hifi, ASN uninstalled, and I never buy a Hifi Addon again...

Patrick, it's fixed now:

"Further, this update solves a compatibility issue when ASN is used along with other weather engine add-ons that use FSUIPC interfacing. FSUIPC v4.926 or later must be installed to activate this fix."

http://www.hifitechinc.com/forums/showthread.php?2130-ASN-for-FSX-Hotfix-121713-released

Guest Mik75

Very good!

I still love FSGRW for its local weather effects and it's always good to have two top notch products for one of the most important factors of flying! ;-)