Sign in to follow this  
LinuxFlightSimmer

JARD A320 v2 is working in Linux !

Hi, I've found someone on Facebook who said that the JARD A320 v2 was working in Linux and he posted some screenshots, so I decided to try by myself and see if it's running. Even if on the X-Plane.org Store they say the plane is not compatible, my test revealed that the plane is really working in Linux, since have realised a couple of flight with no problem.

1386720095.png

• Upvote 2

Great, so go spread the news to the author and xorg! That's the Neo? Are they using SASL? Probably Nicolas simply didn't update the description for version 2?

I have to have a closer look at this. I spend nearly all my time with GA but have been thinking for a while on getting some experience with the heavier stuff. This one might just fit the bill nicely.

Seeing how it's unsported, there is that risk of it not working down the road. But if it works enjoy it for now I guess.

Great, so go spread the news to the author and xorg! That's the Neo? Are they using SASL? Probably Nicolas simply didn't update the description for version 2?

Yes, It's the JARD A320neo and it use SASL, in the plugin folder there the lin.xpl

I can confirm that it does work in linux.  I'm currently using X-Plane 10.45 in Mint Linux Cinnamon version 17.3.  I had a full installation in Windows 10 and then installed X-Plane in linux.  I then copied the Aircraft, Custom Scenery and Resources folders from Windows to linux.  I have a mix of JARDesign and FlightFactor airliners and I just had to activate them all first time.  Do NOT forget to reload the plane after activation!

Once all this is done, everything works.  So the only thing JARDesign haven't done is write an install routine for linux!

Maybe the developers didn't intentionally make it work or test it on Linux, but the plane works anyway because of how X-Plane is designed? Anyway, if they say it won't work on Linux and there's a problem eventually, I wouldn't expect them to offer support.

Now that we're at it, is it a good idea to run X-Plane 10 on Linux? Are there big incompatibilities with some 3rd party add-ons, plugins, planes etc? Does the FF 767 work on Linux? Is migrating from Win7 to Linux (Ubuntu) as easy as dragging the X-Plane folder?

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

Hi Jaime,

Now that we're at it, is it a good idea to run X-Plane 10 on Linux?

I know that testing a particular application on another operating system is often an incentive to try a Linux OS. The Gimp software was what brought me in GNU/Linux years ago. And it's adoption by X-Plane definitely allowed me to clean my Windows partition.

But ultimately, you don't boot a new OS just for one piece of software. each OS is a whole world in itself, worth discovering. And maybe you find one that really suits your needs in many aspects.
Just try it.

One thing to be aware, though: if you have a Nvidia GPU, go ahead. If that's an ATI card, I'd advise you to read a bit on the subject, your experience might be a bit rough. (but I think Geforce are better for X-Plane anyway).

That said, graphically intensive apps/games on Linux provide a great experience.

Is migrating from Win7 to Linux (Ubuntu) as easy as dragging the X-Plane folder?

Do you mean migrating X-Plane itself ? Yes, everything is there in it's folder for every OS (except the installer/updater, download the right one on Laminar's website). Maybe run the Linux updater once, so that you're sure everything is in there.

Does the FF 767 work on Linux?

Yes, all Flight Factor planes do.

Are there big incompatibilities with some 3rd party add-ons, plugins, planes etc?

It really depends on what you use.
For some people, the big ones would be Skymax Pro, and the upcoming IXEG B737 classic.

The list of things that work is a very long one, but here are a few highlights:

World Traffic was made compatible a few monthes ago.
Javier's X737 FMC will be compatible again soon.
SSG B747 is now compatible as well.
All SASL based planes should work. (That means all Carenado's, FF, FJS, Airfoillabs, Rotate, QPAC, Peter's Aircrafts, VFlyte, REP, Dreamfoil, ........ )
JarDesign is an exception here: as the thread'title says, it works, but it is not supported.
In the myriad of existing plugins, I'd estimate a good 70-80% do work. (my guess)

You probably have a few must-have plugins. Check on their download page what OS they support.

Cheers,
Pascal

• Upvote 1

Pascal, thanks very much for your elaborate comment!

I have both Ubuntu and Win7 in my system, and an Nvidia GTX770, and have been hearing that XP10 runs better on Linux. So I will surely give it a try and see how it performs when I find the time. (I just don't like Windows as an OS, I think it has pretty flagrant flaws, just as with FSX; I use Windows because that's what everybody uses)

Thanks!

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

You're welcome !

Ah, I didn't get that you already have Ubuntu Linux installed. So, you're set !

For the sake of coherence, I would copy the X-Plane folder on the Linux file system. I'm sure it would work on NTSF, but mabe not optimally.

You can share the Custom Scenery folder, it makes sense because it's usually the biggest disk eater.

It's easy: just create a linked folder pointing to the Windows one, rename or erase the original on Ubuntu, and rename the link as "Custom Scenery".

(disclaimer : I just don't know if the right-click>create a shortcut works on an Windows partition, but there are many ways to do it)

I can't say if raw performance is still much better on Linux. It was the case some years ago, but I don't bother booting on Windows anymore to compare. Some active dualbooter might chime in.

Pascal