Sign in to follow this  
drego22

Can a saved FSX flight plan be loaded & how

Hello, I am still learning a lot about how to program the fmc on aircraft on fsx, I have the capt. Sim 777 and I can load the fmc from the flight plan that I create on the fsx flight plan sceen. I wanted to see if I can do this with the pmdg 777, if soe, how is this done? Please ms me. Thank you!

Andre Chambers

I wanted to see if I can do this with the pmdg 777, if soe, how is this done?

You can import a flight plan, but you cannot import the one created from the FSX planner (those are generally pretty poor anyway).  Most flight planning software will allow you to do this (PFPX), and if you have one of those, consult the manual (each one has a different process).

I'm guessing you don't have a flight planning software, however, so you can do one of two things:

1. Enter it by hand, and save the route for the next time you fly it (after hand entering the route on the RTE pages, use NEXT PAGE to go back to page 1 of the RTE pages and there's a SAVE prompt there)
  2. Use something like SimRoutes.com (after generating the route, the results page will offer a download button to download the route in PMDG format)

Kyle Rodgers

Welcome to AVSIM and to the PMDG forums in particular!!

If using the FSX flightplanner and entering by hand, consider a VOR-to-VOR flightplan with only a couple of waypoints included: They can be entered quickly and you can add (realworld!) SIDs and STARs from the PMDG navdatabase. In the FSX world the distance between two enroute waypoints doesn't really matter anyway.

The good thing about PMDG's rendition of the B777 is, you don't need any workarounds for the Top Of Descent to display. And if you add an ILS approach to your flightplan, the FMC will autotune the ILS frequency, just as the real plane would do.

The major disadvantage of the PMDG T7 over the CS version is, of course, the missing weather radar that PMDG blatantly refused to include ( :P). On the other hand PMDG offer fully functional autothrottles and a working VNAV, so they (kind of, at least) stand out against Captain Sim ( :lol:).

You see, you have to take the bad with the good ...     :ph34r:

Man, that seems like a lot of work! I just want to get my flight started quickly, I don't want to spend an hour or soe preparing for a flight, or have to install a bunch of new programs, is there an easy way to get and load a flight plan into the FMC?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Andre Chambers

Man, that seems like a lot of work! I just want to get my flight started quickly, I don't want to spend an hour or soe preparing for a flight, or have to install a bunch of new programs, is there an easy way to get and load a flight plan into the FMC?

If see you want to fire it up and fly already, it's fine! but you don't want to be a monkey in a plane so sooner or later you'll want to read the manuals and make the tutorial flight to get started.

It's not a lot of work at all. Maybe when you learn to use PFPX+TOPCAT it'll take you just a bit more time to get started with your flight but that's it. Also, remember it's planning the flight what makes it special.

Now, if you are in such a rush go can get your route from the FSX Flight Planner (default) or FlightAware.com for example. Then go to SimRoutes.com, paste it and download it in PMDG format.

Cut and paste the file in your PMDG 777 Flight Plan folder.

In the FMC copy the co. route code and activate. But there's so much more to do than load the flightplan that you should definitely start with the tutorial flight. I can see that having the CS 777 did not help much. Our friend scandinavian13 did the video for the written tutorial and it's pinned at the top of the 777 forum.

Welcome and don't be afraid of learning, it's well worth it and very rewarding. Good luck!

Such is the life with an in-depth study sim.  That's part of the reason people buy it: immersion and depth.  It's not really set up to cater to the casual sim crowd (though they can certainly use it, with concessions).

As I wrote earlier, you don't need all the extra software and manual planning.  All you need to do is go to SimRoutes (or similar) and grab a route file there.  Put it in your 777 flight plan folder (FS Directory > PMDG > 777 > Flight Plans...or something to that effect).

If you're departing from somewhere in the States, you can copy a route from FlightAware, put it into SimRoutes' tool, and download that.  It only takes a few minutes once you get the work flow down.

Our friend scandinavian13 did the video for the written tutorial and it's pinned at the top of the 777 forum.

Thanks! :wink:

Kyle Rodgers

Choosing an arrival runway with a STAR gives you enough waypoints for the FMC. Strictly speaking, from a purely technical point of view, you don't even have to add a single enroute waypoint before the STAR. It can hardly be less work, IMO.

I also just figured out that I can't talk to AFC via button on the keyboard, I guess this is designed for all of you expert FSX simmers, and pilot's! LOL

Never mind my last post, I just had a glitch, that's why the ACC window did not pop up!

Andre Chambers

I have tried to enter a route from route finder .com and the fmc keeps telling me invalid entry, I don't know how to, or what to do, an some one help a dummy out? Lol

Andre Chambers

Now, I am using the route finder. Com & the fmc does not have any of the sids that the route finder route has on it, now, can anyone tell me what to do now? Oh boy!

Andre Chambers

can anyone tell me what to do now?

Probably outdated data from RouteFinder, or your navdata is out of date in the plane.

As I mentioned earlier:

1. Get a current flight plan from FlightAware
  2. Put that into SimRoutes
  3. Export a PMDG file
  4. Use the Route Request feature in the FMC to import it
  5. Fly
  6. Profit

Kyle Rodgers

Flight aware will not let me get a flight plan from KIAH to PHNL, & I did sign up for a membership, this needs to be a lot simpler for a newbie like myself, anyone, any more suggestions?

Can anyone from Tech support tell me why you can't have the fmc load up a pre loaded flight plan from FSX flight plan menu? If not, can it be modified to do soe

Andre Chambers

Flight aware will not let me get a flight plan from KIAH to PHNL, & I did sign up for a membership, this needs to be a lot simpler for a newbie like myself, anyone, any more suggestions?

Flightaware is showing flight plans for UAL 201 for several different days.  Here is the current one en route:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL201/history/20131211/1520Z/KIAH/PHNL

You should be able to type this right into the route page of your FMC, except that JCT7 is a KIAH departure and Julle5 is an arrival for PHNL, so they  will need to be entered on the  DEP/ARR pages.  Also C1177 is not a waypoint so just skip it (I don't know what it is).

I don't see the point of buying a complex, quite realistic addon and then not wanting to learn to fly it.  The FSX flight plans are unrealistic, have very rudimentary departures and approaches, and use data that is very out of date.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

I appreciate your help, I understand what you are saying, but, if there was a way of updating this in FSX I would use it, I like using the routes provided by FSX to comply with IF plans from FSX. If there is a way to update this in FSX, please let me know

Andre Chambers

"Quick and dirty" (see post #3 above):

(...)

If using the FSX flightplanner and entering by hand, consider a VOR-to-VOR flightplan with only a couple of waypoints included: They can be entered quickly and you can add (realworld!) SIDs and STARs from the PMDG navdatabase. In the FSX world the distance between two enroute waypoints doesn't really matter anyway.

(...)