Sign in to follow this  
Mithras

REX - Using it Right?

Am I using REX right, do you think?

I open up REX first, click the 'do it for me button', then activate FSX. I have REX ticked in my FSX weather menu. I see nice textures, but I'm not sure I get different weather if I end a flight in the UK and start one in Australia. Does REX create appropriate local live weather for me on the fly? 

Q 1: Should I wait for REX to boot up FSX (ie. tick that option?)

Q 2: Should I be doing anything manually before I activate REX?? 

I've gone through the help PDF, but I can't see an 'idiot's guide to start up ...'

If You would actually read the manual You would know the answers :) in Rex You need to separate textures from weather engine. Weather engine You can configure in options (for example use real weather data) in config manager. Textures You can set in texture tab (choose them and than load the whole pack). If You want Rex to choose textures appropriate to weather than go to Rex flight planner, load up plan from fsx, choose ex avoidance, check the route, switch it off and choose wx textures than load game. No need to change ingame weather setting to "Rex" it should switch itself to "user defined" when You will load up Your flight plan. If I may assist further please let me know.

Thanks Mephic ... I've gone though the manual again, I think I'm doing it right. Select a theme, download the textures etc.

One thing bothers me, wonder if you know the answer to this .... in FSX clicking on Real Weather gives you a current weather state for the flight you are about to fly. Can you retrieve the same data in REX before you fly? Or do you have to input a flight plan into REX first and do that via REX?

if You use Rex weather engine You switch off real weather in fsx and You don't have to put the flight plan in Rex to make wx recognize real weather.

Im not sure if I get what You mean actually - in Rex You load the flight plan created in fsx and it shows You winds aloft, temperatures and weather for your route.

You can also go to weather tab and in the low left corner choose "search for weather type" or sth like that (my pc is off now) and find where is for example thunderstorm right now in real world so You can fly it with real weather.

I'm not sure if this helps (English is not my native so maybe I misunderstood something.

Am I using REX right, do you think?

I open up REX first, click the 'do it for me button', then activate FSX. I have REX ticked in my FSX weather menu. I see nice textures, but I'm not sure I get different weather if I end a flight in the UK and start one in Australia. Does REX create appropriate local live weather for me on the fly? 

Q 1: Should I wait for REX to boot up FSX (ie. tick that option?)

Q 2: Should I be doing anything manually before I activate REX?? 

I've gone through the help PDF, but I can't see an 'idiot's guide to start up ...'

Q1   Its up to you if you want rexe to start fsx when you click the fly option, I got it unchecked since I start rexe and fsx at the same time than I enter my departure airport    and  go to the airport once loaded in the sim, I  than press  the fly option in rexe,  than it loads  the weather  in while  I do  the pre flight  etc

Q2  No there nothing  manually  you need  to do other  than in fsx weather  settings make sure  you got  the rate of  change  to none( this is important) and run rexe  as admin rights  as well.  

There is no need  to tick rex  in the fsx weather  section( if  you are using the rexe weather  engine) since  once you start  rexe it will load  the weather  to the airport your situated  at. 

If you move  to another  airport  on the fly  rexe will load  the airport  weather  to your location

hope this helps you

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

OK, REX is working fine, running in the background ... BUT, I'm still struggling to find out what the weather will be like, cloud base, visibility, wind speed, wind direction, temperature, etc.... using REX. Where do you go for that data before your flight starts? Would you simply click on Real Weather in FSX to get the weather briefing page? 

Make sure "Enable weather data download" is checked in the "configuration manager." Click "weather" tab at top. Select "Use real-weather data" then ok. Enter the airport code or use the search function and you will find what you are looking for. There is no need for a flight plan and you should not change any weather themes in FSX, just leave it default.

OK, REX is working fine, running in the background ... BUT, I'm still struggling to find out what the weather will be like, cloud base, visibility, wind speed, wind direction, temperature, etc.... using REX. Where do you go for that data before your flight starts? Would you simply click on Real Weather in FSX to get the weather briefing page?

All this is explained in the rexe manual

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

All this is explained in the rexe manual

Thanks, I'll check again.