Sign in to follow this  
PingPong

Looking to learn the principles of racing

Hi all, as my title says, I recently invested in a racing wheel and pedal set, I would like to use my PC to do sim-racing as well as flight sim.

I was wondering if there is a place to go and learn the principle of competative track racing, like a program with a tutorial etc.

I have seen things like iRacing.com but that seems a little to serious for the beginner.

I have the F1 program and I am doing the tutorial races, but I am looking for a bit more of the theory etc...

even a youtube class or dvd would be welcome

Thanks

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi there,

I used to be quite engrossed in racing games. I am a bit of an F1 nut, but I have not raced on my PC in years. I used Geoff Crammond’s Grand Prix series, EA’s F1 Titles and a couple from UbiSoft. However there was one that I always went back to, Grand Prix Legends by published by Sierra Entertainment. It was released in 1998 so the graphics are a bit dated, however the physics and AI are sound.

If you are not aware, Grand Prix Legends is based on the 1967 F1 season. There were no wings or winglets hanging off the cars and it was mostly mechanical grip vs. aero grip. The AI was brutal and relentless and the physics were mighty intimidating. It took me close to a year to master this and finish races in the top three. The only thing not simulated was rain and tire wear.

This was a true racing simulation, as I said, the graphics are a bit dated however, if you look around the internet, you may find remnants of a community that existed. There used to be numerous websites dedicated to this simulation. On today’s computers, there is a GHz patch that you would need because this was made back in the day of MHz processors. There were also graphics updates that one could download to enhance the simulation without any FPS hits. There were updated car models and numerous tracks that you could download.

If you can find an old boxed version with all the manuals you would be off to a good start. The manuals are extensive. But, there were no tutorials. The only theory to racing is “drive it like you stole it”. That is the first line from the manual if I remember correctly. There are in depth instructions for car set ups. Things like camber, toe-in, clutches, gear ratio, steering angle, etc. Most of your cornering will be drifting and the slip stream is simulated very well.

With all that being said, years ago there were numerous websites that were dedicated to this simulation. There was one specifically, I think by a woman named Alison or Allison and her American Eagle website. She went into in depth descriptions of car set ups and the reasons why you set up your cars a certain way. Her first line was “set up your car to do what you want it to do when you want it to do it” or something to that effect.

iRacing is fantastic. It's real racing with virtual cars, so no crash'n'bash etc. Which is nice. Basically, if you want a 'sim' and safe-ish racing, iRacing is the only option outside of private leagues.

Here's all their 'Racing School' videos which are typically applicable to all racing sims:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5eueqw24co&list=PLqZLBOpI5JFKebBA_i-SCkGRRypXovWv6

They cover topics such as proper braking, cornering and general racecraft.

iRacing is fantastic. It's real racing with virtual cars, so no crash'n'bash etc. Which is nice. Basically, if you want a 'sim' and safe-ish racing, iRacing is the only option outside of private leagues.

Hummm... you must have the best luck out there. Most races I was in at iRacing were still "crash'n'bash.'

• Upvote 1

I've been racing on Gran Turismo 5 and invested in a Playseat and Logitech G27 wheel but now I'm moving to PC platform. I have F1 2013. Today as a gift I received Assetto Corsa which is in development and I think I'm going to try rFactor2.

Lots of practice...

I love motorsports and only Formula 1, GTseries and DTM. 

Hummm... you must have the best luck out there. Most races I was in at iRacing were still "crash'n'bash.'

Certainly, you are right! The goal of the rookie series is to get out of being a rookie. Unfortunately that means clean racing rather than going for position. So it's often better to start from the pit-lane and avoid the first turn/lap carnage.

I've been racing on Gran Turismo 5 and invested in a Playseat and Logitech G27 wheel but now I'm moving to PC platform. I have F1 2013. Today as a gift I received Assetto Corsa which is in development and I think I'm going to try rFactor2.

Lots of practice...

I love motorsports and only Formula 1, GTseries and DTM. 

If you go through this, you get 3 months free iRacing + 2 extra tracks: https://cadillaccupracing.com/ - it's the best value way to start out with it.

AC is really looking good but still feels 'arcade' when it comes to the tyres on track surface and the amount of grip available.

Certainly, you are right! The goal of the rookie series is to get out of being a rookie. Unfortunately that means clean racing rather than going for position. So it's often better to start from the pit-lane and avoid the first turn/lap carnage.

Oh trust me I know that. I was an A license in both oval and road before hanging up iRacing for good. Just too many crashing crybaby's there unless you are in a league. I realized i can league race in rFactor 2 though without paying for every track and a monthly fee.

The only think I miss from iRacing is league oval racing. There is no racing sim out there that gets close to that.

So very true! I have my A (road) and B (oval) and stick mostly to the open wheelers. Too invested to look elsewhere yet!

Speaking of which, tomorrow I'll explore outside of this forum thread and start working out 'where to start' in the flight sim world. FSX, P3D, mesh and vector packs... Oh my!  :blink:

I watched those vids carefully taking notes, and setting up practice tests for myself.  They are very informative and really demystify some of the jargon. 

Highly recommended.

I watched those vids carefully taking notes, and setting up practice tests for myself.  They are very informative and really demystify some of the jargon. 

Highly recommended.

Glad they helped. Here's one more I just re-discovered and thought I'd share:

From the Skip Barber Racing School. A bit old and 'cheesy' but still relevant (with the exception of the wet weather techniques near the end of the clip). I got a lot from this one.