Sign in to follow this  
tazz

REX4 Direct Announced

Ever since P3D came out people have been shouting that the end is near for FSX.   Hogwash.    Maybe if the price tag wasn't ridiculous compared to FSX's tag of $19.99 then yes, or we weren't being choked by a military developer because we are casual fliers and not real pilots in training (most of us).   Let the competition soar among the devs I say.   It gives you better products when competing teams try to one up each other, pure and simple.    You get the best when they are put to the test.   Bring on the REX4!   I am eager to see it!   Love REX-E.   ASN is a superior weather engine though.   Hopefully REX is eyeballing ASN's epic levels and trying to one up it.    If devs are whining about how competition isn't good for FSX then that is because they lack confidence in the quality of their product.  If the product is good, it's going to sell, regardless of competition.   If it sucks, then tough nails.  It deserves to fall.   Welcome to capitalism where the buyer controls your company's future.   Make it solid.  Make it useful.   Make it affordable.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

I think in a niche market like this, an excess of competition is both a a good thing and a bad thing.  It is great for us in the short term: more choices, more incentive amongst developers to make innovative, exciting products, more aggressive pricing to help convince the impulsive amongst us (myself included) to empty their wallets. 

However, for the long term I'm of the opinion that as the bar continues to be raised, and the costs to develop a top-tier add-on increase, the competition becomes more and more intense until it reaches the point where some developers pull out of the race, so to speak.  At which point, we'll end up with less choice, not more.

It's not all win/win.

It is interesting that there are four (that I'm familiar with) different payware products that do the same thing.  Weather generation has to be the most competitive area of FSX development, bar none.  Or else it highlights how much the average, willing, sim pilot will spend to enhance the immersion factor in their sim.  It's probably telling that you could probably divide simmers into two camps: those that have never purchased a weather addon at all, and those that have purchased more than one.  I bet there's not many that have only purchased and used just one.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

It's always good to have choices, we are lucky that a lof of fellow simmers are contributing to this wonderful hobby :-)

Maybe if the price tag wasn't ridiculous compared to FSX's tag of $19.99 then yes

Funny comment that wasn't the price of FSX during it's release which a lot of old timers payed for it.

Which developers? And why?

I didn't talked to Ryan lol...

But in general this is small nice market compared to the game industrie ;-)

André

It's always good to have choices, we are lucky that a lof of fellow simmers are contributing to this wonderful hobby :-)

Funny comment that wasn't the price of FSX during it's release which a lot of old timers payed for it.

Truth.  It was 59.99 on release in 2006.    But when a new simmer, like me, comes into the market in THIS time period and MY choices are $19.99, $59.99 or $199.99 if I want the entire simulation logo free, my bank account is very happy with $19.99 and 3rd party add-ons being bought with the money I saved.  :)        And as I re-read through this thread, we are all acting like there are 50 weather engine programs to choose from?  XD   Aren't there like 3 payware;  Opus, REX and AS?   XD    I would hardly call that competition saturation.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Aren't there like 3 payware; Opus, REX and AS?

There are 4. There is also FS Global Real Weather.(FSGRW)

Bill

Not buying in until real time wx is accurate, especially winds aloft.  When default FSX weather is working it is spot on.  I have never had winds aloft that were spot on with REX.  I love the textures, but I want wx and winds aloft to match metars and pireps, or at least come reasonably close, like within 4 to 6 hours of actual.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I like how they are splitting up the services, so if you just want textures, you can get just textures.  Same for the weather.

First of all, I have been using rex since they started, so I am kind of used to their ways, and the interface.  Currently I am using Rex Essential Plus, and I know there has been lots of talk about ASN, but I will wait and see what Rex 4 is all about.

Price will be important for me this time, something Like $30.00 or maybe a special discount to current Rex users, will do the trick.

I like rex textures, and yes like so many others I have had some problems,, but their forum offers excellent support, in a timely manner.

REX 4 has the ball in their court now, just have to wait and see....

I wish they would  finish their Simair project, that's something rather new and interesting I think. 

After AS Next I don't think I will be buying another weather product any time soon and I'm perfectly happy with my old REX textures. 

Hi Guys, Is there a big difference between Rex 3 & 4? I'm new to FSX/PrePar3d and thinking of buying Rex and not sure which I should get.

For some reason Rex 3 is more expensive than Rex 4.

Hi Guys, Is there a big difference between Rex 3 & 4? I'm new to FSX/PrePar3d and thinking of buying Rex and not sure which I should get.

Rex 3 is a complete package with textures and a weather engine .Rex4 is textures plus wind and thunder sounds.it runs well with Rex 3.

you could buy REX 4 and use it with REX 3's weather engine.that's what i do.

steve

Buy REX4 and save up for ASN.

You will have the latest and greatest.

Jose

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.