Sign in to follow this  
Guest jlindbe

FPS Issue with Clouds

Ok, here's my current inspector settings. Note I've turned on SGSS x2, I'm currently testing this out with the latest fixer to test performance, it was off and I was getting good FPS and smoothness in pretty much every situation. My AA setting withing the DX10 fixer is 4x.

post-297531-0-65829300-1386991223.jpg

Jaime Boyle

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

pilotbanner.jpg

This is a good Inspector setup for DX10, Jaime, but (just one note!) when you set SGSS the amount of Texture Filtering - LOD Bias (DX) needs to be matched to the amount of SGSS set. This little chart below, will show you that amount, and in your case - just drop it back to -0.5.

2x MSAA + 2x SGSSAA: -0.500

4x MSAA + 4x SGSSAA: -1.000

8x MSAA + 8x SGSSAA: -1.500

All the Best,

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

@Paul J

the DX10 "How-To" guide is the most serious and well thought out FSX guide imo, and you've just proved it once again! :wink:

cheers!

p.s. I'm just noticeing how incredibly better the sim runs w/o 4096 textures and how next to insignificant the IQ loss actually is, at least on my system (but I'm absolutely positive this can be true for many configurations out there). Heck, even a well created 512x512 grass add-on .bmp texture looks and blends in perfectly fine.

@ jlindbe

Are those aircraft textures mipmapped? I would guess not. I am sure that if they had mipmaps then they would appear better than that.

Guest jlindbe

Thanks Steve didn't think of that. I'll give it a try when I get home.

Guest jlindbe

Hey dude what are your scenery settings ? Are you using any add ons ? I am asking as I have almost a similar laptop which is an i5 2430 1GB Nvidia 525m, I am using the laptop right now because my mobo has gone for replacement and expecting it back on Monday.

I am using only NL2000 and pull comfortable fps but with mid-sets. Not using DX10 as i do not want to keep spending on FSX anymore as I am going to XPX , but sometimes you feel like firing her up for a spin.  So just want to check if I can use the SGSS and stuff. of course i am on HDE v2 Clouds and there are amazing.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Thanks Paul! I didn't know that. I will adjust my inspector accordingly.

Jaime Boyle

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

pilotbanner.jpg

It doesnt make much noticeable difference, but every little counts...

Steve asked jlindbe if his textures were mipped.... here are some docs with info on mips, some tools , and what needs mipping, and some more how-to..  

These docs are a bit ragged, with pieces taken from various posts and notes from all kinds of sources, so apologies for not crediting any particular author if you recognize your work: Contact me if you wish, and we'll fix it up. I do intend to spend some time to make them "presentable" in the near future.

Regards,

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

@Paul J

the DX10 "How-To" guide is the most serious and well thought out FSX guide imo, 

p.s. I'm just noticeing how incredibly better the sim runs w/o 4096 textures and how next to insignificant the IQ loss actually is, at least on my system (but I'm absolutely positive this can be true for many configurations out there). Heck, even a well created 512x512 grass add-on .bmp texture looks and blends in perfectly fine.

Thanks, Lurk - the reward comes when I see folks like yourself being successful using DX10, and then jumping into the forums, helping others - as you have been, and displaying such obvious enthusiasm for this super hobby!

It makes this "job" (sic) so easy! 

All the Best,

pj

If you love flying machines, the sim can be truly great with a few good things thrown into it and w/o the need for excessively fancy stuff.

This community is incredibly alive, glad to bring what little my experience over the years has taught me (my first flight was on a SinclairZX81, and I thought it was marvelous!)

going from this

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u198/Lurk1968/flightsimulationzx81_zps33ac9949.png~original

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u198/Lurk1968/FlightSimulation_screen_zpsd110f112.gif~original

to this

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u198/Lurk1968/Screenshot47959_zps0cc3ddcc.jpg~original

makes me want to say: drop the fancy 4096's and enjoy flying! :biggrin:

(pic is WOAI traffic over Alps meshes from the middle ages, and of course the true revolution - DX10Fixer - above all)

Guest jlindbe

Hey dude what are your scenery settings ? Are you using any add ons ? I am asking as I have almost a similar laptop which is an i5 2430 1GB Nvidia 525m, I am using the laptop right now because my mobo has gone for replacement and expecting it back on Monday.

I am using only NL2000 and pull comfortable fps but with mid-sets. Not using DX10 as i do not want to keep spending on FSX anymore as I am going to XPX , but sometimes you feel like firing her up for a spin.  So just want to check if I can use the SGSS and stuff. of course i am on HDE v2 Clouds and there are amazing.

For add-ons I'm using HDE v2 clouds, OPUS or FSGRW for weather, ORBX PNW, CRM and NRM for scenery, and I use the Milviz C130R and B55 as well as the RealAir Piston Duke v2 and Turbine Duke.  In clear weather rarely go below 25fps and in heavy clouds usually not below 20fps.  

Scenery settings are as follows:

Level of Detail Radius = Large

Mesh Complexity = 100

Mesh Resolution = 10m

Texture Resolution = 7cm

Water = Low 2.x

Scenery Complexity = Extremely Dense

Autogen = Dense

Special Effects = High

Cloud Draw = 90mi

Detail Clouds = Maximum with Maximum Density Coverage

@ jlindbe

Are those aircraft textures mipmapped? I would guess not. I am sure that if they had mipmaps then they would appear better than that.

It doesnt make much noticeable difference, but every little counts...

Steve asked jlindbe if his textures were mipped.... here are some docs with info on mips, some tools , and what needs mipping, and some more how-to..  

These docs are a bit ragged, with pieces taken from various posts and notes from all kinds of sources, so apologies for not crediting any particular author if you recognize your work: Contact me if you wish, and we'll fix it up. I do intend to spend some time to make them "presentable" in the near future.

Regards,

pj

Thanks Steve and Paul.  Mip-mapping the aircraft textures did the trick.  The DX10 fixer was a life saver, allowing me to hold out or not switch to P3D until all my add-ons are compatible.

wow so many addons and nice in terms of FPS,

BTW what is this mipmapping thing ? Can I use it as my mobo is back and FSX runs smoothly with my FX 6300 (NO OC).

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus