Sign in to follow this  
JaimeHorton

Milky White night water is back

hey again everyone 

looking for yet more guidance 

i installed the trial version of ASN and after doing so my perfect night water has turned milky white again 

i have steve's DX10 Fixer 

and i tried deleting the water shaders and don't really see a difference

i'm missing something here ?

like i said i noticed it after in installed the ASN 

anyone have any ideas

did i miss something in steves fix? should i run his water fix again or FSwater 

yes i take my night water very seriously 

thanks everyone 

JHo

ok everyone here are some photos 

the first one is of the great salt lake, this is how i think it should look. this is taken at the same time with the same settings as the second one of lake mead 

however lake mead has the ugly white wash over. 

my textures are working fine. and i know this has something to do with the moon. however how come the water in the great salt lake looks awesome with normal reflections and no white wash,  while lake mead looks like crap 

i've tried everything i can think of

i've deleted my shader folders

i've reinstalled the textures from Rex

i've set my water settings to low in FSX and this just blacks it out 

i've installed the fswater config lite dx10 shaders 

i know its working cause the water in utah looks awesome and prior to my installing ASN lake mead at the same appearance 

and it bums me out cause las vegas is one of my favorite places to fly 

thanks in advance for any ideas 

JHo

post-301024-0-74879300-1386831336.jpg

post-301024-0-67389400-1386831344.jpg

What are the altitudes that you're hovering at, JHo? Salt Lake looks as if taken from a couple of thousand feet perhaps, with Lake mead appearing to be taken for nine or ten thousand feet...

The only other reason (that I can think of) is that Google Earth shows Salt Lake as a greenish color, and Lake Mead as pretty much black. If the texture is based upon downloaded satellite images, and processed automatically - then something in that process could, I suppose - cause an issue like this, and deleting the Shaders will solve nothing - else how could either DX9 or 10 change it's water configuration on the fly? It doesn't happen. 

You said

water in utah looks awesome and prior to my installing ASN lake mead at had? the same appearance

This sounds like a pretty good reason to me - but - again, no expert here - I don't think ASN installs any new textures - it loads what's there. Have you tried returning the (REX) textures back to default and then testing it? Did you return the (REX) textures to default before you ran FSWCLite? Do you have a backup of the default FSX Texture folder?

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

It's most probably the effect of the Moon or cloud layers, or both, and it has been there since FSX...

You didn't have it before because there was no Moon in the skies or it's iluminated area was minimal, last week for instance...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

that's what i was thinking as well 

however 

when i load up Utah there is less reflection 

could it really be that different from one state to another ?

can someone post up a picture of lake Mead with yesterdays date so i can compare 

Thanks 

JHo

I have personally seen the real San Francisco bay illuminated by a full moon on a clear night and its entire surface appeared 'milky white' at the elevated aspect from which I was viewing.  I'm actually quite impressed now that FSX gets this right, for I thought  "something is messed up here" when I first saw this same phenomenon in FSX.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

really! 

that's kinda what i was thinking, and because ive seen the dreaded FSX show looking water. i know all my textures and whatnot are working cause the water looks good. it just has that covering glow. 

i just thought it weird that utah didnt have the same effect in the same amount

sucks being a perfectionist 

Thanks for the input 

JHo

There is nothing at all unusual about these images.  Moon, star, and cloud reflections on the water is a normal FSX effect.

-Pv-

yea that's what i'm starting to think, however the second photo doesn't seem odd to you with the light colored water body ?

that's what is tripping me out 

Thanks for the input 

JHo