Sign in to follow this  
pcubine

PFD, ND, etc Freeze

Several days ago about 9 hours into a flight from KLAX to VHHH with no time compression the PFD, ND, clock, and the compact EICAS froze. I did not check the CDU’s so I don’t know what they did. The plane continued to fly. The clouds and sea rolled by, The plane banked, flew straight, and the engines sounded normal. After about an hour I decided I had better try and see if the problem could be fixed. Right then before I started in the blink of an eye everything started to work. The clock had the right time, the plane was following VNAV and LNAV and on course. N1 was fluctuating. Everything was okay. Interesting. Never had that happen before or since.

Michael Cubine

the PFD, ND, clock, and the compact EICAS froze.

I'm guessing that, at this point, you were out over a vast expanse of water...

If so, this is a normal FSX issue.  Basically, if you're using the S and A keys to cycle through your views, and happen to cycle through what should be tower view, the sim can't find a tower near you, freaks out, and locks some visuals up.  In order to solve the issue, I've found that cycling through the VC view set (using the A key) tends to free the displays back up.

In order to avoid this issue, use right clicks to change views, particularly out over the oceans or vast expanses without airports.  If you plan on doing this, also check to make sure you have the UIAutomationCore.dll fix, as the increased right clicks could also sink the sim.

Kyle Rodgers

Kyle

I use a button on the joystick to cycle thru views. I also use the keys or right clicks for specific views. I will need to remember to stick with the mouse/right clicks when over the oceans or Russia.

Thanks

Michael Cubine

I use a button on the joystick to cycle thru views.

Regardless:

If you're cycling views - through whatever method - and happen to cycle through the tower view, it'll cause the issue.

Like you said, though, make sure to just use the right click, or cycle through the VC views if you notice the issue pop up.

Kyle Rodgers

What you can do to likely get it working again is select the "2D" view (which will show nothing in the 777) and then go back to the VC - should be unfrozen.

You can cause this same freeze effect in the main view by bringing up a popup window of another view and changing the view there too.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Ryan Maziarz

Thank for the information.

Michael Cubune