Sign in to follow this  
Mephic

Top quality addons for PMDG 737 ngx

TrackIR - no go to me. Although I am a sim addict and I love to play ets 2 and train simulator 2014 which also can utilize it I think it makes no sense to get it until you have 3 screens. Did You use it on one monitor? Does it work good?

It isn't really connected to the amount of screens; it's about immersion in the VC and naturally "looking around" in order to look around in the cockpit.   I've never used it with 3 screens;   I use it with a pretty standard 26" TFT single monitor.

Here's another vote for TrackIR 5.  If you're flying primarily in the VC, it will increase your immersion level and improve your overall experience like no other addon can.  Particularly in that shiny new 737 you have there.   As far as the number of screens, it's actually of more use in a single screen environment.  No more panning the view with a button or view keys.  Just look around like you would in the real world.  Definitely worth the modest investment and the short term learning curve.  Take a chance and try it out.  If you thought the 737 NGX was the "best decision in my life", then buying the TrackIR 5 will blow you away.

Edit:  BTW, don't skimp.  Get the pro version with the TrackClip Pro.  It improves the tracking.

Get Track IR.

/Thread

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

I'm going to throw in a countervailing opinion on TrackIR.  I have one (a TIR III) and a friend bought a TIR 5 that I tried.  I found the interface to be pretty frustrating to use, and it is really flaky, often getting confused and doing things like slewing to straight up or straight down.  I also had to sit just so in the chair to make things work right, which made my neck sore.  Now I use a Logitech gaming mouse with 12 buttons on the side programmed with preset views in EZ DOC.  But the bottom line is I would recommend finding someone who has one and trying it out first...I know a number of people who, like me, find the interface pretty underwhelming once the novelty (quickly) wears off.

My recommendations...ActiveSky Next (weather), and if you do most of your flying in the US, Canada or Europe, then the appropriate version of Ultimate Terrain X.  And PFPX for flight planning.

Welcome to the bankrupting world of Sim madness!  :drinks:

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Due respect Colonel (former Air Force here too, so that comes from the heart :smile: ), I'm not sure you had a fair shot at the TrackIR 5.  From your post, my first thought would be that there was a light source behind you when you used it.  That would cause it to behave the way you mentioned, suddenly slewing straight up or down, as would something like smoking a cigarette in front of the camera for example.  It would also explain having to sit just so, causing the neck stiffness.  Properly calibrated, and with the right profile,assuming no light source behind you and using the TrackClip pro, those issues should become virtually non-existent.   The view can also be re-centered on the fly so you should be able to calibrate it to a comfortable seating position.  I know the 5 is vastly improved over the 3, particularly in regard to the 6 DOF the 5 has.  
Having said that, I agree that having a chance to try it out first is a great idea.  Additionally, I think you might try it out again in a different environment and check the calibration through the software as this might improve your experience.

Regards,

Jeff

I've had a TrackIR5 unit for two years, and it's probably the best addition to my sim I ever made. You can look around the yoke, lean in to take a better look at the instruments etc. It's really nice to have in the NGX aswell, because it eliminates the need to use the mouse or HAT switch to look around during one of the fast cockpit flows (e.g. after landing). Then again, FS2Crew takes care of that. Anyway, if you get it, you won't regret it. TIR also works on every other aircraft, from a Cessna to an A380. There's just a slight bit of personal customization required with the config tool.  

Thanks,

Kevin L

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

FS2Crew + NGX emergency to take it to the next level. EZCA camera addon so you can jump to panels quick, with or without TrackIR....I can't fly without it anymore. Maybe go  visit Angle of Attack and get some training or buy the manuals set from PMDG.

Others have made the obvious great sugguestions. Judging from your priorities, you'd probably enjoy FS2Crew. PFPX is the latest and greatest flight planner (I don't have it so I can't say much more. I use the older but still venerable FSBuild).

I would hold off on Track IR. While it's a great thing to have, it costs about $150, so you'd use almost your entire budget on that alone. Besides, I typically only use it for VFR/GA flying but that's just my preference.

I've decided to buy fs2crew, ezca and pfpx and also pfe or voxatc (not sure yet)

Thank You all

I'm going to throw in a countervailing opinion on TrackIR.  I have one (a TIR III) and a friend bought a TIR 5 that I tried.  I found the interface to be pretty frustrating to use, and it is really flaky, often getting confused and doing things like slewing to straight up or straight down.  I also had to sit just so in the chair to make things work right, which made my neck sore.  Now I use a Logitech gaming mouse with 12 buttons on the side programmed with preset views in EZ DOC.  But the bottom line is I would recommend finding someone who has one and trying it out first...I know a number of people who, like me, find the interface pretty underwhelming once the novelty (quickly) wears off.

My recommendations...ActiveSky Next (weather), and if you do most of your flying in the US, Canada or Europe, then the appropriate version of Ultimate Terrain X.  And PFPX for flight planning.

Welcome to the bankrupting world of Sim madness!  :drinks:

According to the OP, this thread has run its course already.

I'd still like to second your POV here: I got a 2nd monitor (less expensive than TIR) and place all my addon GUIs and cockpit 2D windows/popups on it.

That way I don't have to pan around in the VC, I'm free to move my head (grab that cup of coffee without my VC shifting and turning all over the place) ... and I have even saved a couple of bucks which I can invest into other areas of this "bankrupting world of Sim madness"!

But then again, to each their own ...   B)

You'll find FS2Crew is the game-changer in that selection, an excellent choice.

ngxu_banner.png

From what I understand - using voice Commands will actually make flying ngx much easier because co pilot will do load of the stuff related to his part of cockpit?

Easier in a way because you will have fewer buttons to press but harder in another because you will have to do everything according to the proper flows & checklists.  

I think it will suit you since at the start of this thread you were concerned that the NGX might be too complicated for you.  Now you won't meed to know every page of the manual but you will need to manage the flight to a high level of realism.  

There is a further extension to the NGX FS2Crew for Emergency Procedures, at extra cost, whereby you and the co-pilot can deal with engine fires etc.  I have it but don't use it - maybe the next step!

ngxu_banner.png

Due respect Colonel (former Air Force here too, so that comes from the heart :smile: ), I'm not sure you had a fair shot at the TrackIR 5.  

+1

I can't really understand how "interface" comes into it;   My use of TIR looks like this; launch TIR, launch FSX.   Once you have a good profile (which is everything, and I'd guess what caused Bob's bad experience), you do not touch the interface.   I honestly haven't touched the TIR interface in about 4 years. :smile:   It's just something I start up, then go fly. I use the F9 key to turn it on / off and that's it.     It's just about naturally looking around the VC;   far more realistic that pop-up panels of other monitors with flat displays on.     Olli, I'm amazed a serious simmer like you isn't using TrackIR!! :lol: ... honestly If I didn't have TIR I wouldn't sim any more;  No way I could sit in front of a limited, static view of a panel. It'd be like going back to 2D for me.    Short of a full home cockpit, TrackIR is everything for me, in terms of immersion.

But of course it's personal choice and yes, not everyone likes it.    But I don't think it reflects reality to suggest that one bad experience of TIR not working well for one person, suggests that it's going to be like that for others.   I'm sure that for most it's plug and play and once you have a good profile to use (always happy to share mine), you're set, you won't be using the interface;  ever.

From what I understand - using voice Commands will actually make flying ngx much easier because co pilot will do load of the stuff related to his part of cockpit?

The task-sharing aspect does not depend on either voice-control or button-control. Both ways of interfacing provide the same "split of duties".

With voice control you (the Captain, the pilot flying) basically receive multi-tasking capabilities as you can push buttons (your share of duties) and instruct your First Officer via voice at the same time.