Sign in to follow this  
Soulflight

OOM's after long range flights......

Hello everyone,

there is a memory problem which is giving me a headache sometimes while flying long routes or just switching from one airport to another one in heavy scenery. I start hearing the windows-chime frequently and sometimes single textures do not get loaded and just show a black area where they are supposed to be.

Changing views very often then or switching between windowed and full screen mode is very likely to crash FSX with the typical OOM message. I have no issues with FPS then, not more than you would expect in very dense areas.

Currently I had this issue on two flights:

1. PMDG MD-11 flying from brazil to EDDF, I landed, heard the chimes and managed to get to the gate. Then I quit FSX normally.

2. Captain Sim 767 vom EDDF to KJFK. Chimes start to sound on landing, CTD with OOM message while taxiing to the gate.

To reproduce the problem, I just load up the MD-11 somewhere and then switch to KJFK in the ariport menu. its certain that after I start to move the aircraft around the taxiways, the chimes start ringing.

So it appears to be a general problem independent of airport scenery. And yes, I use a lot of addons and lots of AI traffic. (world of AI, Ultimate terrain USA and Europe, REX and GEX), but this problem is new and I didn't have it in the past. I have 8 Gigs of RAM and applied the uiautomationcore.dll and Highmemfix.

any Ideas about that? Need any more information, please tell me.

This is explained in the AVSIM CTD Guide (pinned topic).  You ran out of Virtual Address Space (VAS).  Only solution is to disable any scenery you will not be using during the flight plan and reduce your fsx/display driver settings.

You should also download and run the AppCrashView as recommended in the AVSIM CTD Guide (links to the programs and instructions are in the guide).

You're another one who wasn't saved by the uiautomationcore.dll.  I would throw that into a temporary folder as it did not prevent you from having this crash.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hello everyone,

there is a memory problem which is giving me a headache sometimes while flying long routes or just switching from one airport to another one in heavy scenery. I start hearing the windows-chime frequently and sometimes single textures do not get loaded and just show a black area where they are supposed to be.

Changing views very often then or switching between windowed and full screen mode is very likely to crash FSX with the typical OOM message. I have no issues with FPS then, not more than you would expect in very dense areas.

Currently I had this issue on two flights:

1. PMDG MD-11 flying from brazil to EDDF, I landed, heard the chimes and managed to get to the gate. Then I quit FSX normally.

2. Captain Sim 767 vom EDDF to KJFK. Chimes start to sound on landing, CTD with OOM message while taxiing to the gate.

To reproduce the problem, I just load up the MD-11 somewhere and then switch to KJFK in the ariport menu. its certain that after I start to move the aircraft around the taxiways, the chimes start ringing.

So it appears to be a general problem independent of airport scenery. And yes, I use a lot of addons and lots of AI traffic. (world of AI, Ultimate terrain USA and Europe, REX and GEX), but this problem is new and I didn't have it in the past. I have 8 Gigs of RAM and applied the uiautomationcore.dll and Highmemfix.

any Ideas about that? Need any more information, please tell me.

I never used to have the problem either until the release of the pmdg 777 (the problem was that i was close to the line and never knew it until the 777 pushed me over). The first thing you should do is download the tool to monitor vas usage. You need to test and see which airports and Addons are using up your vas. I tend to do most my flying online now so I do not use ai traffic, but ai traffic can be a real killer. I only enable pay ware scenery for where I am actually flying. the 777 uses more vas than the 737. I don't have the md11 but I thought I heard that has an even lower vas requirement. Flying through heavy weather can burn vas as well. You may have to dial back your settings and I would avoid using hd features of airports unless your going to disable other Addons.

Well for now I lowered the LOD_radius from 5.5 to 4.5 in the FSX.cfg. The change isnt so big and the chimes went away. It appears my RAM cannot handle all the high-res stuff in long distances. Thats what you get with DDR2 ;)

It's detail overload.    I am now experiencing OOM chimes of death on short hour to two hour flights.      I am discovering the downfall of beautiful photo real scenery.   I don't really understand myself why it's happening now.   I've done flights from Denver to San Fran with 4/5 states of MegaScenery loaded with Flightbeam airports loaded and made it fine.   Now I try a shorter hop just today from Kansas to Dallas with 4 states loaded and no payware airports loaded and I get OOM ding 300 feet from final.... -_-   I nearly died of an aneurysm I was so mad.    The manual for MegaScenery recommends LOD of 6.5 but what I think they are not telling you is that that is only for a state or two.   If you are trying longer flights with photoreal prepare to be disappointed with the 4.5 setting unfortunately.    I hate 4gig limits!   RAAARRR!     32 gigs of RAM and get to use 4...

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy