Sign in to follow this  
Michael Cependa

Anyone running FTX Global on P3DV2 without white boxes?

Here's some additional detail about the white boxes - the most informative posts are toward the bottom of the page.  In spite of the thread title, there's no real workaround yet, since re-enabling volumetric fog reduces the white box problem at the cost of killing frame rates with any significant cloud cover.  At the risk of repeating - I hope LM or Orbx or somebody can come up with a solution for this.  

EDIT: Sorry, hadn't realized that the thread I linked to runs to three pages - had only read the first page.  There are some other suggestions in later posts, for example changing texture resolution, then changing it back.  But nothing seems to be a completely reliable solution.  The problem seems to be worst when FTX Global autogen is used with volumetric fog de-selected, but there are also people seeing the issue with default scenery.  It seems to be related to the interaction between the haze layer and certain lit autogen textures.  Seems like a fix is going to take a while, but maybe we'll all be pleasantly surprised and something will come along faster than expected.  

Well I had first the issue too but after a reinstall of first the ORBX regions and airports and as latest FTX global solved the issue.

But I always disable the lights via Central during day despited the claim of auto switching lol

So I don't have the issue...

André

But I always disable the lights via Central during day

I also do that with FTXG but that only removes specific lights along specific roads: I still have those white boxes near houses.

I can honestly say that I have seen none of those white boxes you speak of.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

I also do that with FTXG but that only removes specific lights along specific roads: I still have those white boxes near houses.

Well Jeroen I know what happens in the background lol but as stated I don't have the issue :-)

André

Well I had first the issue too but after a reinstall of first the ORBX regions and airports and as latest FTX global solved the issue.

But I always disable the lights via Central during day despited the claim of auto switching lol

The regions (except maybe the one released today) have a different type of lighting that as far as know doesn't exhibit the problem.  Are you using FTX Gobal outside an FTX region with volumetric fog off without seeing white boxes? 

Michael Cependa

Developer Aerosoft DC-8

The regions (except maybe the one released today) have a different type of lighting that as far as know doesn't exhibit the problem.  Are you using FTX Gobal outside an FTX region with volumetric fog off without seeing white boxes? 

Michael tested with 1.1 and that is correct normally using volumetric fog will do a check now again above AMS with 1.2 update.

Apology gentlemen have them now too since update 1.2 checked with 1.1 before didn't saw them at the same location....

Ok back to volumetric fog don't fly without and no FPS loss :-) hence currently locked at 33 fps :-)

André

Here's a new wrinkle.  Based on something Rob Ainscough posted in another thread, I uninstalled FTX Global to see if, without it, volumetric fog still killed framerates.  It didn't.  On my system at least, FTX Global plus volumetric fog in heavy weather cuts frames by half, sometimes by two thirds.  With FTX Global uninstalled and default scenery restored, volumetric fog has barely any effect on frames.  More details in my post here.  Could be this is something unique to my rig, but if not, it might indicate that there's something very complicated going on between FTX Global (either the lights or some other factor) and the volumetric fog setting.  I hope others can check this out and confirm or deny.  

I have not those white things in the spotlight but if at times over the lights of the planes that are not originals of p3d

What if you temporary remove the 2 bgl for the 3d lights and see what will happen? (Like the temporary fix we used when testing the FTXG 3d lights in FSX DX10 (before Steve fix)

Removing the files sounds like a good idea, and I tried it, but it caused p3d to crash every time I attempted to leave the default flight..

Michael Cependa

Developer Aerosoft DC-8

That is strange. Removing the two files never cause any trouble in FSX, it just makes the 3d lights disappear. Looks like something changed in P3Dv2 then.

I have found that if I set the startup to the scenario set up screen I can get away with a single flight anywhere with the 3D light files deleted. However, the sim will CTD on exit, so you can't change any settings in this mode and expect them to stick.  I seem to get a CTD if I rotate an external view a lot, but I don't know if this is related.  

The sim looks amazing with FTX Gobal and no white boxes. 

Michael Cependa

Developer Aerosoft DC-8