Sign in to follow this  
abh_jc_03

quality loss

I tried LOD at 6.5 and MSE manual says try at least 7.5.  At 6.5 I get OOM error almost immediately so I went back to 4.5 with no OOM.  The problem is the textures looks HORRIBLE.  Super blurry and still take quite some time to load.  This is above 4000 feet as well.  I read that under that they won't be very sharp.  I tried lowering TML from 4096 to 2048 but then my PMDG textures don't load correctly because they use 4096.  I hope I didn't waste a bunch of money on this photoscenery because they pics looked great on the site but not in my FSX.

'

Josh Scholl

It is not the textures that are blurry, it is how your PC renders them. The texture files themselves do not change at all. Your video card is likely the weak point in your system. Have you tried these settings (or equivalent Radeon settings) on your video card?

2. If you have an Nvidia card, go into the nVidia control panel and set your Anisotropic Filtering to 8x. We found at 16x or above that this setting tends to smooth off the textures a little more, whereas 8x retains the full clarity. Might differ for your card but just tinker and see what works best.

3. Naturally, the higher your FSX screen resolution is, the better. Ideally you would run at 1920x1080x32 or higher if you card supports it. If not, choose the highest resolution available. Because MegaSceneryEarth doesn't use resource-consuming autogen, your video card should have no problems being set to its highest resolution level and running MSE scenery smoothly in any of the MSE states/regions.

4. The best zoom factor to use in the cockpit view is 0.40. Any higher tends to cause slight blurring of the textures.. The higher the zoom, the worse the blurring gets. 0.40 is the best compromise.

And lastly, here are our nvidia graphics cards settings, for your reference only. We dont guarantee these will give you the best results, but feel listing them might give you an option to see MegaSceneryEarth 2.0 sceneries how they are made to be best seen.

Ambient Occlusion: Performance
 Anisotropic Filtering: 8x
 Antialiasing - FXAA: Off
 Antialiasing - Gamma Correction: On
 Antialiasing - Mode: Override any application setting
 Antialiasing - Setting: 16x CSAA
 Antialiasing - Transparency: Off
 CUDA - GPUs: All
 Maximum pre-rendered frames: 3
 Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration: Compatibility performance mode
 Power management mode: Adaptive
 Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample optimization: Off
 Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias: Clamp
 Texture filtering - Quality: Quality
 Texture filtering - Trilinear optimization: Off
 Threaded optimization: Auto
 Triple buffering: Off
 Vertical sync: Use the 3D application setting

On a properly configured system, the scenery can appear at full resolution and sharp as low as 1200-1300 ft. If you are not seeing it sharp that low, then it is not the fault of the textures as such, but likely either video card settings need changing or your system or card on the whole may not be up to scratch to display the textures at their full res.

Re OOMs, I've never had one with MSE, even with LOD_RADIUS set to 9.0. Granted I have a faster video card (GTX670) but never had an issue. I know some people have had OOMs if they have a LOT of MSE states sitting active in the scenery library, but other than that, I'd look at what other add-ons you might be using that could be contributing to the OOM issues first. MSE is likely to be the least contributing to that issue.

Dean
Manager - PC Aviator Australia

Retailing Sim DVD Software, Downloads, Hardware and Accessories

I have a ATI Radeon 6800 series. I see a lot of 3rd party software giving detailed instruction for nvidea settings but not ATI. I run FSX on the 1920X1080X32 in the display settings within FSX. What should I do with the ATI settings.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Josh Scholl

I have Radeon 6850. It's ranked 68 on benchmark I paid 300 for it a year ago. The is a newer one for 300 and is ranked 11. I just don't want to spend 300 again and it not fix the problem. I have SLI, could I run the the card I have now with a newer card or only the same models together? Card I'm looking at is Radeon 7970/ R9 280X.

Josh Scholl

I'm not familiar with the Radeon cards graphics settings, or their names, but if you can post a screenshot of your Radeon control panel, we can probably assist further.

Dean

I'll See what I can get for you. One other question I noticed most screens are of like a Cessna 172. Does the scenery work Ok with like commercial jets?

Josh Scholl

Here are my settings for my AMD card.  I have in FSX anistropic with the anti aliasing box checked as well.

amd_settings.jpg

amd_settings_anti_aliasing.jpg

amd_filter.jpg

amd_anti_aliasing_method.jpg

amd_anisotropic.jpg

Josh Scholl

ere are my settings for my AMD card. I have in FSX anistropic with the anti aliasing box checked as well.

Many recommend Antialiasing and Anisotropic(AF) be turned OFF or AF set to Trilinear in FSX but I have found it better to leave these items check in the application.  Your video drivers will override.  Of course, if one does not believe me, they can untick these settings in the FSX settings page.  You can actually do that on the fly to see what is better for you.  While flying, simply click on Options then Display and then untick AA/AF and go fly.  It might be ugly....  Here are my recommended display driver settings:

Antialiasing Mode - Override any application setting (if you have Application Controlled, then any setting below this is worthless).

Antialiasing Samples - 4X

Filter =Standard Filter

Method=SuperSampling

AF Filtering Mode - Overide any application setting (if you have Application Controlled, then any setting below this is worthless)

AF Filtering Level - Standard

AF=16x

Quality - High Quality

Surface Format Optimization=Off (or you will get shimmering)

Wait for Vertical Refresh=Off

If I didn't mention a setting, it means it looks okay.  I do not own an AMD video card.

It is critical that once you start up FSX and load the scenery that you reduce the distance in the outside view and wing view (if you have a wing view) or any outside view to 50% by click on the minus(-) key.  If you don't do that, then you will see the blurries. 

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Try Jim's recommendations...

Also, set your FSX screen resolution to as high as possible within FSX, and its best to use a 0.30x or 0.40x zoom factor for clarity of most all in-game textures.

I'll See what I can get for you. One other question I noticed most screens are of like a Cessna 172. Does the scenery work Ok with like commercial jets?

The scenery works with ANY aircraft. The scenery and aircraft do not interact with each other as such, so it doesn't matter what aircraft you fly.

Dean