Sign in to follow this  

FTX Global 1.2 is out but...

Well, after having various problems with OOMs I reinstalled P3D, no OOMs and then installed FTXG and got OOMs. Without FTXG I could not force an OOM if I wanted too (no matter how hard I tried) and with FTXG I had an OOM within two minutes. Now I am not saying that FTXG should be fixed but there clearly is a problem with P3D 2.0 and add ons so SOMETHING needs fixing badly. I never ever had an OOM with FSX.

Take note though that I do have FTXG still installed but I am using medium settings all over to keep VAS as low as possible to avoid OOMs. It's my theory that something is causing memory spikes that overload the VAS but if you keep VAS low to start with that overload will stay within limits. (I have no degree in VAS theoretics though LOL) I am really looking forward to LM's update, I have to say.

BTW I think that FTXG on its own raises VAS by around 500 MB or something like that. I remember P3D 2.0 default gave me VAS of around 1.7 after startup and with FTXG in that same situation it was around 2.1 or so. Of course this does depend on the location.

Seems that I'll be waiting a bit longer though, as unless I am reading this wrong, it still isn't completely fixed.

The only thing that has been fixed is the installer (causing some default textures to not be overwritten). As far as bugs and P3D compatibility goes NOTHING has been fixed yet…

Yes, the old proverbial finger pointing exercise, but.... how do you know that this is the case OP?

Regards

Bob

Is it?  Is there a link to where this was studied and demonstrated? 

I run FTX Global and haven't had an OOM since about two days after P3Dv2 came out and I pulled the LoD and mesh settings back to mid-range.  I only got OOMs when I had them maxed.

Same here, I run FTXG and default LOD and texture res and have not gotten an OOM since.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Well, after having various problems with OOMs I reinstalled P3D, no OOMs and then installed FTXG and got OOMs. 

In your case, after all you have been through, I'd be willing to take your word for it at this stage. Far too often though, you don't find out until 27 posts later that "oh well of course I also had !widget installed, I couldn't be without it"  :lol:

Even you held on to the A2A for quite some time  :P

Regards,

Brian Doney

Are there actual quotes from Orbx and Lockheed telling each other to fix the same problem? If not, it's just conjecture.. 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

…it only solves the missing textures problem (where the previous installer failed to overwrite some default ones). Pity. No fix for the white lights problem yet: Orbx wants LM to fix it and LM seems to want Orbx to fix it...

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/69629-ftx-global-120-patch/

"Orbx wants LM to fix it and LM seems to want Orbx to fix it..."

I read thru the release announcement and see nothing about the above quote. What exactly are you basing this bit of wisdom on?

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Are there actual quotes from Orbx and Lockheed telling each other to fix the same problem? If not, it's just conjecture..

I read thru the release announcement and see nothing about the above quote. What exactly are you basing this bit of wisdom on?

Good call. ;) I searched the various forums to see where I got that from but:

1. I seem to be mistaken with those lights:

Quote from Orbx:

"Vector road lights do not work. Cause: terrain.cfg not being updated correctly. Status: this is a bug in P3D2 (power tower pylons also don't show) and we will advise LM of this. This won't be fixed in the v1.2 patch as it depends on LM to fix P3D2."

I was mistakenly thinking this was about those lights but it's clearly not.

2. And so my personal wisdom was mainly based on the fact that Orbx completely seems to ignore all posts about this problem (I couldn't find a single reply on this from Orbx on their forum in the various topics about it and it's also not listed in their to do list) and LM only posted a temporary workaround that doesn't work and they also seem to ignore the problem as it isn't mentioned in their own to do list, leading me to the conclusion neither seems willing to look into this. But I have to stand corrected: this is indeed my own personal conclusion which was born out of reading this and that here and there etc. etc. etc. So my apologies for making that bold statement. ^_^

I do wonder though why they don't reply to the various questions about this.

Pity. No fix for the white lights problem yet:

What white lights problem?  Do you have picture of it?  I haven't noticed any issues other than the texture priority and/or elevation issues.

Quote from Orbx:

"Vector road lights do not work. Cause: terrain.cfg not being updated correctly. Status: this is a bug in P3D2 (power tower pylons also don't show) and we will advise LM of this. This won't be fixed in the v1.2 patch as it depends on LM to fix P3D2."

2. And so my personal wisdom was mainly based on the fact that Orbx completely seems to ignore all posts about this problem (I couldn't find a single reply on this from Orbx on their forum in the various topics about it and it's also not listed in their to do list) and LM only posted a temporary workaround that doesn't work and they also seem to ignore the problem as it isn't mentioned in their own to do list, leading me to the conclusion neither seems willing to look into this. But I have to stand corrected: this is indeed my own personal conclusion which was born out of reading this and that here and there etc. etc. etc. So my apologies for making that bold statement. ^_^

Well, this would be classified by any business owner(s) as a responsibility and incredibly common customer service. ORBX must know (or maybe not), that not answering does, in many eyes, make them look arrogant. To me, this is a no brainer. If ORBX is correct and it is LM that has the issue, then there should be a private discussion with the 2 parties to come to an agreement as to how this should be addressed to the public(us). Makes no sense to me why this has not yet taken place.

Bob

I'm pretty happy to see some progress already, as some of the areas that I fly most were previously missing the correct textures  . . . and my initial flights after updating to v.1.2 now seems to have the correct textures.  And my FPS did not suffer at all . . .  if anything they actually improved in the areas where the wrong textures were formerly being applied.  SO I'm happy that this issue has been fixed already.

Clearly LM and the 3rd party developers are going to have to work together to clean up all the bugs, and this is not going to happen overnight,

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

What white lights problem?  Do you have picture of it?  I haven't noticed any issues other than the texture priority and/or elevation issues.

Maybe that's because you have Volumetric fog enabled? Anyway, here are some pictures of it. They aren't mine but copied from a topic on the LM forum.

Whiteboxes_zpsa4c66519.jpg

p3d-white-ag.jpg

whiteartefacts_zpsd3b07a1f.png

Quote from Orbx:

LOL Yep I was kind of yanking your chain a bit. LOL all in good fun but I do think it is important for us all to kind of police our expectations and questions. As we move to the new P3D world and the new way of doing business we have to realize that we now in some cases can not expect as many over night fixes like that Carenado bunch does. Now we have to allow Dev's, ORBX, LM, and sometimes even Nvidia to get things in sync. It is going to become a whole new world played with "big boy rules" :lol:

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Maybe that's because you have Volumetric fog enabled?

I do, I'll have to try it without and see if I get anything like that.  But given that these are FTX objects/textures I don't see how this is an LM issue?  Just as with DX10 under FSX (even with Steve's DX10 Controller) there are still issues with various objects/textures from 3rd party vendors that can only be resolved by the 3rd party vendor (or one can edit the offending file if one is comfortable doing so).

So the temporary fix until Orbx address the issue is to enable Volumetric fog?

Guess I'm confused on the subject. If it suspected to be FTX, why not get rid of it and have a more stable usable platform until the point whoever figures it out?

I do, I'll have to try it without and see if I get anything like that.  But given that these are FTX objects/textures I don't see how this is an LM issue?  Just as with DX10 under FSX (even with Steve's DX10 Controller) there are still issues with various objects/textures from 3rd party vendors that can only be resolved by the 3rd party vendor (or one can edit the offending file if one is comfortable doing so).

So the temporary fix until Orbx address the issue is to enable Volumetric fog?

Yep. At least that worked for me...