Sign in to follow this  

FTX Global 1.2 is out but...

And I got thumbs down and disagrees for refunding in the first week and saying the first thing they should do is get rid of every beta tester..  

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

I posted heavily a few weeks ago in regards to the 'white boxes' issue, so I'll chime in here.  It's interesting that back when I was posting about, it no-one seemed to have either noticed or card much about the issue...

Enabling volumetric fog is not a fix. All it does is shift the range of whatever causes the boxes (I've guessed that it's the haze/visibility layer).  In some areas, this is enough to prevent the boxes from showing, but it's not 100% effective in all areas.  The same 'fix' can be had by enabling the 'clear all' weather theme, without enabling volumetric fog.

I have offered my opinion on the matter of Orbx vs. LM responsibility, only in that a lack of response from either side leads me to believe that each is unconcerned with the issue.  Thus, my assumption is that neither is taking steps to fix it.

This is only one of several issues that I have with the current state of P3Dv2, none of which have been addressed with a working resolution or fix by LM.  Don't misunderstand me:  I'm not upset at this, I fully understand the scope of issues that require immediate fixing, and they only have a finite amount of resources at their disposal.  But what it means for me is that P3Dv2, as nice and smooth as it is, is not yet ready to be my primary simulation platform.

I will watch with interest, and I may keep my dev subscription to co-develop Simconnect applications for both platforms, but when it comes to actually getting in a plane and flying, it will be with FSX for the time being.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

LOL, sorry to hear some are having issues, but I think it is the best thing since version 1.4. I too do not understand why so many are having issues.

Bob

And I got thumbs down and disagrees for refunding in the first week and saying the first thing they should do is get rid of every beta tester..  

It isn't always the beta testers fault.  I was a beta tester on MS Flight and many of us reported a bunch of issues/bugs that never were fixed before that sim/game was released, and then MS released a version that we never even tested.

Personally I'm having very few issues with P3D2 . . . but I've only added FTXG and A2A's Piper Cub.  AND I'm no longer messing with the settings, but just flying [i'm convinced that a great deal of the problems that users are having is that they keep adjusting the settings .. . which P3D doesn't really like having done to it on the fly.]

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

MS Flight had no deal breaking bugs at launch. v2 is full of them..  I have zero tolerance for the current trend of "Fork over your money, hit a wall of bugs and wait for a patch" software distribution.  Gaming companies are notorious for it and sadly it seems LM is no different. 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Interesting ... I'll have to try and test volumetric fog On/Off again -- I tested this early on (day 1 of release) and didn't notice a difference with Volumetric fog on or off ...

That's probably because you have a Titan and I have a GTX580. Alan has a GTX680. Seems like only the GTX780 and Titan are strong enough to cope with the volumetric fog?

Well...:

I'm itching to repurchase it just to tinker but... Resisting....Spending...Money....

That's why I told you not to ask for a refund LOL But you were right concerning the beta testers. Wisdowm comes with age and we're all a few weeks older now... ^_^

AND I'm no longer messing with the settings, but just flying [i'm convinced that a great deal of the problems that users are having is that they keep adjusting the settings .. . which P3D doesn't really like having done to it on the fly.]

Well, that's true on one hand: my biggest problems stopped when I settled for a certain setup. But on the other hand, it's not the setup I want to keep on using and there simply are quite a few big bugs that spoil it right now for me.

I had a 570 1.2gig and I did not have an issue with volumetric fog. I now have a 760 4gig and still have no issues with volumetric fog. So, I would say dr. watson that the issue with volumetric fog lies somewhere else than where some seem to be pointing.

Bob

That's why I told you not to ask for a refund LOL But you were right concerning the beta testers. Wisdowm comes with age and we're all a few weeks older now... ^_^

It's all good. :)

I beta tested for two years for this company before quitting a year ago: http://store.steampowered.com/app/24010/  (don't buy this product BTW)

Yes.. They really have over $3,000 worth of DLC.. After two years of looking at beta product you tend to get a very good read on what's polished software and what isn't.. Also the habit of looking for problems never leaves your blood.. :) That's why after four days with P3Dv2 my spidey senses were off the charts that I was beta testing.  :lol:

As far as bugs go - if I stick with the default planes and the default scenery, there's very few show stopping bugs for me.  A few things regarding HDR and black screens required workarounds, but the platform is mostly useable.

However, once you start introducing 3rd party add-ons, the problems mount.  It's not helped by developers rushing to release an updated installer, either - it's being proven over and over that almost every complex add-on has issues of some sort, whether it's outright bugs, or simply performance that isn't where it should be.

I think it's going to take some time before the add-on developers start to release products that are natively compatible with P3Dv2.  This isn't really anyone's fault; it should almost be expected given the changes that have taken place.

However, with the number of devs that had beta access and were then claiming how great the product was once the NDA was lifted, I think we all expected a greater degree of compatibility than what is evident.  I really don't think that the beta testing window was long enough for the devs (especially those that were being promoted by LM) to be able to provide full compatibility.  In fact, this should be evident in that the devs that have released P3Dv2 compatible installers did so after the P3Dv2 launch.

Kudos to the devs who have done so, but repeating myself, a compatible installer doesn't mean a fully compatible product.  I mean, look at FSDT for example:  Great service to quickly provide P3Dv2 installers, but I can select CYVR as being an addon that obviously can use optimization for P3Dv2, if only to provide an option to not have the built in shadows show.  Yes the add-on works, but it's likely using resources that it doesn't need to use.

In regards to FTX Global, it's great that they're working on updating it for P3Dv2 compatibility, but there are still unresolved issues. Some of which I'm sure might of been caught had the beta testing window been longer or more intensive.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Is it?  Is there a link to where this was studied and demonstrated? 

I think J van E made some tests without and with FTX Global and concluded that this is the cause of OOMs, though that could be the A2A Cessna 172. I'm not sure.

As far as bugs go.

*snipped the rest for screen space* 

You summarized it perfectly.. 

But Howard. its the greatest thing since flowing water. :) According to some.

Really? I haven't seen that/those threads. Maybe you can post a link to it/them?

Or is it that P3D2 doesn't meet your hardcore simmer needs, so you must go out and attack it at every opportunity? :ph34r:

Because right now, from the standpoint of performance, that's like tying an anchor around your neck and then jumping off the boat and trying to swim.  Totally kills performance in cloudy or overcast conditions.  It's possible that ATI cards do better with this, and I'm thinking about a switch, but for the moment, for NVidia users, volumetric fog is one of the surest ways to cut your framerates in half or worse.  Sad but true.  

EDIT: Rob, I recall (and see from your profile) that you're a Titan user.  It's likely your Titan is handling volumetric fog better than my 680.  Cvearl is among the most convincing advocates for the superiority of ATI performance in P3D V2.  I'm listening.  

This comes with a grain of salt. 

No matter what setting I use, I cannot match nVidia DX9 FSX 8xS+4xSGSS for sharpness and shimmer elimination. Closest I can get with ATI is 8xSSAA and that is only usable in DX9 for me. In P3Dv2, 8xAA set in game combined with forced SSAA in the driver results in low to mid 20 fps range and not as smooth as going 4xAA in the game setting.

Charles.

I think J van E made some tests without and with FTX Global and concluded that this is the cause of OOMs, though that could be the A2A Cessna 172. I'm not sure.

That is just wonderful...You trashed two different Dev's in one sentence and you sir are just guessing...You don't have a clue.

Edit...just looked at you equipment...man you really don't get it!!

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

That is far from conclusive.  I'm running FTXG  without getting any OOM errors. And I'm also running A2A's Piper Cub with no issues at all.  I had my first OOM with default P3D (without a single addon), and I figured out that the cause of my OOMs were from setting cloud density and/or tree autogen too high (even though my FPS remained in the 50s).  Backing off the graphic settings a couple of notches eliminated the OOMs for me.

What doesn't work for me correctly in FTXG are the Orbx weather themes.  They result in the barometric pressure constantly changing, with temperatures often being way off for the season. So I'm just going to stick with the default weather themes for now (until Active Sky Next is released for P3D).

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE