Sign in to follow this  
Fede.

Active Sky Next: Frames Drop When Looking at Clouds

Hi
I have this problem i can't manage to solve. The other day I upgraded to Active Sky NEXT from AS2012 which didn't give me any problem.

When I'm flying over a Thunderstorm or a big amount of clouds and I look at the horizon, the frames suddenly drop from 30 to 6 - 10. This is happening with any aircraft and with any REX cloud resolution.

I noticed that at the moment the frames drop the PC fans start to run soo fast. Also, When I switch the antialiasing supersampling from 2 x sparse grid to OFF I don't have the problem anymore.

I reinstalled the drivers in the correct way but nothing changed.
I tried to use REX for live weather update and the frames drop is still present but not so drastically.

Do you have any idea of the possible solution?
Could active sky be using currupt files from REX? Or graphic card issue? 

Thanks

Federico

@Federico

Is this in DirectX 9 or DirectX 10 mode in fsx.

Using the latest DX10 fixer, clouds alone cause me a huge frame drop in DX10 regardless of the weather engine i.e. It happens with the ASN trial, Opus, or even just using the no weather engine and using a standard FSX weather theme!!

The same settings in DX9 do not give me any frame drop regardless of weather engine which leads me to believe that its more related to the effect the DX10 Fixer has on clouds than the weather engine!!

Regards

Steve

It has nothing do do with ASN. It's either because your have a high anti aliasing setting, which is not good for thick overcast/large thunderstorms. or you're on Dx10

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

I use DX9.
In nvidia inspector i set 8xS and 2x Sparse Grid Supersampling. That's a normal setting for Anti aliasing.

However i didn't have this problem with AS2012. ASN is using much more detail clouds than the previous version.

Will a new GPU like the 780TI performe better with AA?

You might have to adjust your cloud draw distance back a bit, default I'm sure is 90miles. If you have changed this I would revert back back to default.

The 2xSGSS is the killer! I've had to switch down to having it off completely in all situations because the frames hit was too much.

Jaime Boyle

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

pilotbanner.jpg

The settings in ASN and AS2012 are different. 5 cloud layers in AS2012 and 5 cloud layers in ASN will have a different impact on the sim. ASN draws thicker clouds therefore putting more strain on your system. Those fans you hear are from your video card trying to pump out the visuals. Adjust your settings. A new bigger video card is always nice too! :)

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Why would that be the problem?

In my experience using super sampling(which I do with dx9) is a stutterfest when it comes to flying through clouds/ looking at clouds. Dx10 couldn't handle sgss like dx9. But that's just me. Take a look at my specs.

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png