Sign in to follow this  
aerhead1

What am I missiing?

The price ranges from $9.95/mo for a dev subscription to $2300 for a Professional Plus license.

You can find the prices here: http://www.prepar3d.com/prepar3d-store/

I imagine most of us here, being students of life, opted for the $59.95 Academic version.

Now the DX11 thing I said above came from word of mouth.  So it is valid that I may be talking *#@! on that.  I think I am confusing the 32bit vs. 64bit to come in P3D which WILL break most add-ons.   I saw that there was $59.95 version but is it true that version stamps LM on the screen while you are flying?   Because that is so irritating to me I would spend the extra 60 to get rid of it.. XD    Is that their game?   I wish there was a better matrix comparison sheet of features vs. price point than what they have listed.   Still...  not shelling out $199 if that's what it takes to strip logos out of my images and to get the highest fidelity simulation engine.    Do you know how many airports I could buy with $199.99!?    :lol:

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

$199?!!! Is that the basic package price? If so, this debate is over, lol. I love simming, but I do other stuff with my life. I'll stick with FSX. Thanks everyone.

The other upside for you is that you don't have to waste your time looking at this forum for a few months!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Now the DX11 thing I said above came from word of mouth.  So it is valid that I may be talking *#@! on that.  I think I am confusing the 32bit vs. 64bit to come in P3D which WILL break most add-ons.   I saw that there was $59.95 version but is it true that version stamps LM on the screen while you are flying?   Because that is so irritating to me I would spend the extra 60 to get rid of it.. XD    Is that their game?   I wish there was a better matrix comparison sheet of features vs. price point than what they have listed.   Still...  not shelling out $199 if that's what it takes to strip logos out of my images and to get the highest fidelity simulation engine.    Do you know how many airports I could buy with $199.99!?    :lol:

There is no difference in the sim between the Professional and Acedemic versions. And i believe the only addition to Professional Plus is weaponry.

The watermark in the academic version can be seen in the upper right hand corner of this image. In full disclosure, it is more visible with the top menu visible, which is the default: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-1npV6aFfCuQ/UgwnSSxXx3I/AAAAAAAAbxw/U2hQ8gvfpw8/s1600/Prepar3D+2013-08-14+17-32-06-02.bmp

I have not had any issues with the FSX addons I have installed.

The only thing that worries me about choice of version that one makes for P3D now, is if, when PMDG comes online in a few months, there will be some catch that limits one's choice of PMDG products to which P3D version you have, and if one unknowingly dials themself into a situtation that is cost-prohibitive.  Hope not.

I've been playing with P3D v2 and FSX tonight, P3D graphical is so much nicer no horrible glitches like I seem to get on FSX.  Looks lush with the new shadows.  Screenshots don't do it justice.  I bought a 1 month option just to try, waiting for ORBX to fix up their scenery before buying outright.

Indeed. If not personal, just who would it be for then? In any case, this should be the last word on this part of the discussion, as these speculations are simply not permitted here... ^_^

We can't talk about this so since you opened the door you tell us.....

eating-popcorn-smiley-emoticon.gif

The only thing that worries me about choice of version that one makes for P3D now, is if, when PMDG comes online in a few months, there will be some catch that limits one's choice of PMDG products to which P3D version you have, and if one unknowingly dials themself into a situtation that is cost-prohibitive. Hope not.

Now THAT is a very valid point !

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

I've been playing with P3D v2 and FSX tonight, P3D graphical is so much nicer no horrible glitches like I seem to get on FSX.  Looks lush with the new shadows.  Screenshots don't do it justice.  I bought a 1 month option just to try, waiting for ORBX to fix up their scenery before buying outright.

Guess I need to open a support ticket with LM. They must have given me the wrong one. Mine is just the opposite? Some one said on another blog "if you thought FSX graphics are bad and have bad performance, you will proabably like P3DV2 because it will be a little better. If your FSX graphics and performance was great, you probably will NOT like P3DV2 because it may much worst."

The only thing that worries me about choice of version that one makes for P3D now, is if, when PMDG comes online in a few months, there will be some catch that limits one's choice of PMDG products to which P3D version you have, and if one unknowingly dials themself into a situtation that is cost-prohibitive.  Hope not.

This has me waiting as well.    While people are gushing over P3D, I can't join them until I know the PMDG birds are going to be available and not ridiculously priced because this is no longer considered 'entertainment' software.   I mean the FSX version of the 737 was a costly chunk of change, now I get the pleasure of buying it again if I wish to make the switch to P3D later and I have a feeling it's price points are going to be on par with the price points from LM.   I hope I am proved wrong.   I cannot argue the benefits of what is going on under the hood of P3D but not at such a great cost that I fear may be coming.   Here's hoping!

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

if it all plays out this could be the birth of an awesome sim down the track, time will tell I am sitting out for a while only because I am time poor and just could not be bothered running FSX and P3d at once so I am starting to slowly buy the best stuff for P3D so that after a few service packs I will buy P3D and a new Video card

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

t's the same with videos of P3D - those with first hand experience, understand. Those without, don't get it. Of course
[/quote

Agree; videos just cannot capture the feel of smoothness P3D gives. As soon as I used FRAPS, there was stutter in the video that just was not there when I flew the recording; so looking at the videos and judging on that basis is not correct.

One just has to experience it first hand, and with a 60 day money-back policy why not try it!

Rob

Robin Harris

We can't talk about this so since you opened the door you tell us.....

Posted Image

t's the same with videos of P3D - those with first hand experience, understand. Those without, don't get it. Of course

[/quote

Agree; videos just cannot capture the feel of smoothness P3D gives. As soon as I used FRAPS, there was stutter in the video that just was not there when I flew the recording; so looking at the videos and judging on that basis is not correct.

One just has to experience it first hand, and with a 60 day money-back policy why not try it!

Rob

Me too. I'm currently getting visuals I never could have with FSX, and ATM I'm not even overclocking. Granted, I definitely need to upgrade to a GPU with more VRAM because my 680 w/ 2GB is choking in certain situations, but when I'm cruising in the clouds at altitude my FPS are phenomenal and my visuals are stunning.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I don't really get what the fuss is about.

If you can read between the lines here you will find people who don't have adequate hardware for V2 will tend to dis it to justify their decision to seek a refund, or just dis the current state of V2, or emphasize the similarities over the differences between FSX & V2.  This comment is a case in point:

Fog, that you cant use because it destroys performance, HDR lights, which is the same as bloom with the same performance issue and some shadows in the cockpit, which also come with a performance penalty.

I have the hardware, and I get ZERO performance penalty for fog, and that 'HDR lights and Bloom' are equivalent in quality & performance impact is completely inaccurate IMO.  There is no measured performance impact w/ HDR on or off for me in V2, whereas in FSX there is a solid ~40% impact for me when Bloom is enabled.  Quality wise, Bloom is over the top unnatural, whereas in V2 it's 'just right', i.e. meaning very realistic in appearance.  My experience is visuals in V2 are so far superior to what is possible w/ FSX that FSX now looks to me to be flatly dull, dead by comparison.  In fact, I have a very hard time completing started flights in FSX now.  Even so, I won't be removing FSX quite yet because as is well known V2 is not complete, and I do have some concerns about how well it will run the PMDG stuff UNLESS they discover the keys to optimizing for V2 so we'll see when that comes along.   Where I do agree is in the $199 price tag.  In some ways, despite a clearly superior rendering approach V2 does seem a bit like an alpha or beta product and it remains to be seen how aggressively LM will address the issues w/ timely patch releases.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

I have seen P3d 1.4 and a beta 2.0. The reason HDR, fog etc  does not have an impact [like Noel says] is because other then "X" it uses the Graphics card better.MUCH BETTER, It is as simple as that. There are many graphics tweaks possible in P3D, from within the program that aren't possible from within X. I can't run P3d v2.0 myself because I will need to upgrade my Graphics card frits [because of DX11] But a friend showed me v2.0

I'm convinced that P3D is the future for us simmers. Forget the Eula -bla bla stuff. I'm no lawyer.

We want to fly "as real as it gets" don't we? So just port over planes using that neat programm that is available and set up your 737 kite. 

The only thing I hate in P3D is the P3D logo in the "academic"version. They say it's small... small? My *! It's HUGE and it's awful, just like all those idiotic TV logo's, as iff I don't know what I'm wathching.

P3D plus a new videocard makes it about $350 - something. [Euro's: 310 aprox] Wich is a lot of money in my opinion. But it might be worth it just to keep flying in a Sim that wil be updated every once and a while [but $140 is a lot of money for a logo...]