Sign in to follow this  
klamal

Xplane like water in FSX?

I have been enjoying a lot of the pics from X-Plane that have been posted lately.  One of, if not the biggest thing that I notice in all the pics that I see is the water in X-Plane.  In my opinion, X-Plane has the best looking water in any flight sim.  Is it possible at all to come anywhere close to this in FSX?  FSX water(at any setting) is horrible.  Can FSWC get close to or equal that of X-Plane?  Is there some other payware/freeware option out there?

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Are we trolling? You don't like REX, AS2012 or DX10 water? Those programs are worse than X-Plane? Even the FSX default water textures look great with DX10! It's all in the eye of the beholder. A lot of people would disagree with you and many would agree with you. I really do not know where this is going but anytime someone who has been around these forums and FSX for any length of time would know that there are payware/freeware options out there. Do not know where you are going with this...

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Post a shot X-Plane showing Sydney Harbour Australia scene!

Peter  Sydney  Australia

To each his own.  I prefer FSX water to XP's.  XP's seem plasticky....  I use FEX textures fwiw.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I like both :ph34r: ... both simulate the reality of the environment slightly differently, and up till the point I installed SkyMaxx Pro, I would find X-Plane scenery very dark (and water was inky as another poster mentions above).

Now I play roughly equal time on both sims!

Are we trolling? You don't like REX, AS2012 or DX10 water? Those programs are worse than X-Plane? Even the FSX default water textures look great with DX10! It's all in the eye of the beholder. A lot of people would disagree with you and many would agree with you. I really do not know where this is going but anytime someone who has been around these forums and FSX for any length of time would know that there are payware/freeware options out there. Do not know where you are going with this...

Best regards,

Trolling??? What the??? I'm simply asking. I know about the payware and freeware products out there. But I'm not going to install every single one to find out if any come close to XPlane water. So, I'm just simply asking a question. FSX water is horrible. P3Dv2 water doesn't look good either. At least this is based off photos here in avsim. When I see some of the shots of X-Plane water though, that looks real. Of course, this is all subjective and in the eye of the beholder. Anyway, I was just asking is there anything that gets close to that in FSX. No trolling or any other agendas. Thank you very much!

ryanbatcund, on 13 Dec 2013 - 9:00 PM, said:

To each his own. I prefer FSX water to XP's. XP's seem plasticky.... I use FEX textures fwiw.

Exactly. To each his own. To me, FSX water sticks out and is so obvious where it is. That's not what real water should look like. It should blend more and not have such big waves and be so overly reflective all the time. That's the best I can describe it. So, do any products out there allow someone to tweak the FSX water enough to get it to look close to X-Plane?

Or, to put this another way, I like photo real water that hasn't been masked much better than I like the default water in FSX. Photo real water that has been masked is ok too and would be my second choice. Does that sway this more to make it not look like I'm trolling?

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

FSX water(at any setting) is horrible.

lolwut?

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Agree. FSX water is terrible. Proof.....go to any fsx screenshot with water. Completely ruined by the water!

I prefer fs9 water over fsx anyday.

Trouble with FSX water is that it gives the impression of being far closer to the water then you really are.

I agree with this.  To me the waves look simply too big.  When I see these large waves on a river or a lake, the level of realism drops quite makes is seem like I am closer to the water than I actually am.  I do like the water in P3D a lot better, but it still has room for improvement.  Fortunately, LM have stated that the water in v2 is a work in progress, so I am looking forward to forthcoming updates.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Anyway, I was just asking is there anything that gets close to that in FSX. No trolling or any other agendas. Thank you very much!

I did a search for fsx water textures and there are literally thousands of images. I also did a search for x-plane water textures and there aren't as many but it does give you a very good comparison.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10