Sign in to follow this  
Paul12

Add-drag messages in FMC

The message in the real aircraft is "DRAG REQUIRED". I can't recall exactly what it is in NGX.

It's that

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Maybe I'm just a mean old cuss because my parents always just told me to go look things up in our set of encyclopedias.  I was brutally forced to go learn things on my own, and ended up learning about more things in the process.

Repressed childhood memories eventually made me into the RTFM guy.

As an observer who purposefully didn't invest anything into this forum, I think "The RTFM guy" is a much too kind description for what you are.  You should be kind.

The message in the real aircraft is "DRAG REQUIRED". I can't recall exactly what it is in NGX.

Nothing in our FMC is worded differently from the real thing. There is a big list of the possible messages in the FCOM 2.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Wow ! All that poncing on by somebody who obviously loves the sound of his own voice, just to answer a simple question.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

As an observer who purposefully didn't invest anything into this forum, I think "The RTFM guy" is a much too kind description for what you are.  You should be kind.

I didn't realize asking people to invest in their own knowledge was unkind.  Silly me.

All that poncing on by somebody who obviously loves the sound of his own voice, just to answer a simple question.

If you're referring to me, you'll note my original response both answered the question, and was brief (therefore wouldn't really indicate I enjoy hearing my own voice...which, in fact, I rather hate).

Kyle Rodgers

As an observer who purposefully didn't invest anything into this forum, I think "The RTFM guy" is a much too kind description for what you are. You should be kind.

I would say he should be funnier and more sarcastic...

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

If you're referring to me, you'll note my original response both answered the question, and was brief (therefore wouldn't really indicate I enjoy hearing my own voice...which, in fact, I rather hate).

I make a comment .... "All that poncing on by somebody " .... and yes, you reply, because you are the only one in this thread that realised it was you that had decided to ponce on the OP and you know it.

And yes, I noticed your "original" (btw should read "initial" ) response both answered the question and as you say, in a brief manner. But have you considered that the answer had already been answered, almost two days earlier? Factually? And in a manner that suggested "here to help", rather than "read the manual"? There was absolutely no need for you to intervene and in the process make the OP feel uncomfortable, which he obviously did. If you don't want to help, it may have been better in this case to just keep fingers away from keyboard before engaging brain.

Secondly, (and seeing that you mention it), you state ..... ("therefore wouldn't really indicate I enjoy hearing my own voice"). So now you jump in with a whole pile of rubbish that is totally irrelevant to the OP's original question - just to enable you to feel that you have scored some more points !?! Mate, get a life and start to treat people with some respect.

And finally, your parting comment ("..... which in fact I rather hate"). That does not surprise me in the least. Maybe, if you showed some good manners rather than jumping on people before engaging brain, you may start to like the sound of your own voice just a little more.

Sorry to be so honest with my comments, it's just that a certain thread within Avsim about the attitude of some members within the PMDG forum made you spring to mind. That in itself is a shame, because I know you have a lot of knowledge. Share it nicely.

Dave B

Is there a forum rule where your not allowed to ask a question if that answer can be found somewhere in the documentation provided by PMDG?

Or is the answer to that in the manuals?

Get a grip it's a forum!!!

And yes, I noticed your "original" (btw should read "initial" ) response both answered the question and as you say, in a brief manner. But have you considered that the answer had already been answered, almost two days earlier? Factually? And in a manner that suggested "here to help", rather than "read the manual"? There was absolutely no need for you to intervene and in the process make the OP feel uncomfortable, which he obviously did. If you don't want to help, it may have been better in this case to just keep fingers away from keyboard before engaging brain.

First, orginial and initial are synonyms, so I'm not sure what you're getting at.  My original post and the original post are two separate concepts, if your point was to try and get on my case about forum slang.

I did see that someone had answered the question, but as the manual also answers these questions, I thought I'd add it in.  Why?  Because some people don't know that the manuals are there and that they're actually worth something.  Why?  Because answering people's questions here in the forum is nice and helpful, and pointing out that the manuals exist is apparently mean and evil (despite the manual generally containing the more accurate, and more detailed answer).

Why is this the case?  I have no idea.  Perhaps because people read all kinds of extra things into answers of "read the manual."  It's seen as dismissive for whatever reasons I still don't understand, particularly because I normally also provide the answer when I say that it's contained in the manual (but didn't in this case for the exact reason you pointed out - the answer was already given).

Secondly, (and seeing that you mention it), you state ..... ("therefore wouldn't really indicate I enjoy hearing my own voice"). So now you jump in with a whole pile of rubbish that is totally irrelevant to the OP's original question - just to enable you to feel that you have scored some more points !?! Mate, get a life and start to treat people with some respect.

If the forum game were all about points, I'd be pretty far in the red, but I'd be okay with that.  Sadly, there are those here who would vote posts down simply because they don't like the answer, no matter how factual it is.  Further, I was only responding to someone questioning my points.  There would be no reason for me to have said anything if people just let the initial comment go.

The information is actually in the manuals, too.

Fact.

Done.

Any time I bring up the manuals, it's simply to point out that they are actually useful and contain a lot of the information that people post about.

Searching the manual is quicker and generally more accurate.

...but my attempts to save people time and frustration (and the work of typing and posting) are apparently evil for some reason.  Shame on me.

"Mate, get a life and start to treat people with some respect."

^ Most ironic statement of the year.  Last I checked, I didn't attack anyone personally like you just did, so where my lack of respect exists, I'm genuinely curious.

And finally, your parting comment ("..... which in fact I rather hate"). That does not surprise me in the least. Maybe, if you showed some good manners rather than jumping on people before engaging brain, you may start to like the sound of your own voice just a little more.

Again, I find your assertions ironic based on the way in which I'm being told that I'm apparently pretty mean...in a manner that's more personally inflammatory than any of my posts here.

In any case, I was referring to the tonal quality of my voice, and not the content of the message.

Sorry to be so honest with my comments, it's just that a certain thread within Avsim about the attitude of some members within the PMDG forum made you spring to mind. That in itself is a shame, because I know you have a lot of knowledge. Share it nicely.

I'm still at a loss to where I was mean to anyone.

In any case, there's no need to apologize, really.  People don't like my matter-of-fact posting.  I can't blame them for that.  I'll try to say over and over that it's the fact that this is text, and you can't hear my intonation, but the end story is that it puts people off.  While I can control what I say, I can't control how people react to it.

Is there a forum rule where your not allowed to ask a question if that answer can be found somewhere in the documentation provided by PMDG?

I don't recall ever claiming that there was one.  I simply stated that it's better for the community in general if people actually tried reading the manual for the basic stuff.

Or is the answer to that in the manuals?

Nope.  That is not in the manuals.

Get a grip it's a forum!!!

Correct.

Last I checked, a forum is for discussion in general, and not necessarily a help desk.  Could it be used as one?  Certainly.  Does that mean that pointing out that there's a search function, or the answer is in the manuals is unhelpful?  No.

Kyle Rodgers

Scenario:

I'm on Vatsim flying with ATC and lots of traffic around. Suddenly, some message appears on the CDU scratchpad.

It contains the words:

Unable Descent Path.

Option 1: Expected Timeframe 15 minutes

• Open the FCOM which is provided by PMDG in pdf format.
  • Press Ctrl+F
  • Type in the words "Unable Descent Path" in the search window
  • Hit enter (or "Next") a few times to find the article about "Unable Descent Path" messages
  • Read what "Unable Descent Path" means and take action to correct it (ie go into FLCH and learn about radar vectors, How to close Discontinuities, and/or how to insert user waypoints to 'draw a circuit' using the FMS/Nav display, DME arcs, bearings and distances).

Option 2: Expected Timeframe 2 weeks

• Ask on the forum
  • Wait till after your flight is finished or log out of Vatsim and run away from the scary controllers and new term you don't know
  • winge that nobody answered your question yet.
  • winge more when Kyle tells you to do Option 1
  • Get told incorrect information by someone who doesn't really know.
  • Get told by someone else that it's not even a real thing in the Boeing FMS (even though it is)
  • See a huge thread of people telling the previous person they are very very wrong and should apologize to PMDG
  • See someone else say the PMDG Boeing product is fake
  • Watch an arguement unfold about how Kyle shouldn't tell people to do option 1
  • Watch a Mod lock the thread and ban some people

(note that option 2 contains more steps, but none of those steps even at this point contain "Obtain the right answer".)

Watch a Mod lock the thread and ban some people

I think some people in this discussion are about to be put in timeout...

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg