Sign in to follow this  
PIC007

Lost in Instant Scenery 3

I posted this on their official forum but no help so I thought I would try it here, for anyone using Instant Scenery 3.....

I have gone through the manual a few times and looked through the forums but I am stumped at Step #1......

The manual says ......

"Adding objects

To start adding new scenery objects, click on the

Add objects tab in the Instant Scenery window."

I have looked everywhere and darned if I can find that tab! Any help appreciated!

Jay

Looks like an error in the documentation. I've been using IS2 and now IS3 for years, and there's no "Add Objects" tab, or any other tabs for that matter. IS3 has two modes, place and edit. When you first open IS3 you will be in place mode. Just select a library and object and start placing and saving your objects. To make changes to an object that has been placed and saved, hit the Tab key, which toggles between place and edit modes.

Make sure that when you first save an object at an airport to start a new file for that airport. I usually call mine something like Sacramento_KSMF_IS.bgl. The first time you save an object IS3 will ask you to create a new file. Every time after that, it will suggest whatever the last file was that you saved an object to. It's important to remember when starting a new airport to not keep saving objects to the file you created for your previous airport. Start a new file each time you start a new airport.

Thanks!!! This has been driving me crazy for 2 days!

One more question...... when you make a new file, do you find it better to create it in the Addon Scenery folder or do you make it seperate so it can be enabled/disabled  alone?

Jay

I have one scenery folder that holds all the object libraries I use. Then I have each airport in it's own folder. Both these folders are in the Addon Scenery folder. When I start an airport I'm careful to make sure I start a new IS3 scenery bgl and put it in that airport's scenery folder. I also include the name of the airport and "IS" in the name of the bgl, for example portland_kpdx_IS. Scenery files multiply like rabbits and it really helps to have some system that makes it easy to find things down the road.

Ya I did the same thing as far as labeling them, but Im not sure its correct. I made a folder with the airport name then inside that I made a 'Scenery' folder inside the 'Addon Scenery', is that where I point IS to or is the scenery folder not needed?

Jay

Sounds like you're doing it right. Here's a typical scenery folder structure....

Addon Scenery folder

| 

Portland KPDX folder

|

Scenery folder

Texture folder

The Texture folder is optional, but the Scenery folder is required. You can't add a scenery to your FS Scenery Library unless the Scenery folder is present and contains a valid scenery bgl. At least that's that way it works in FS9.

One more thing. Scenery folders can actually be located anywhere on your drive. They don't have to be in Addon Scenery, or even in your FS folder. That said, I can't think of any useful reason not to keep your scenery folders in Addon Scenery.

Thanks again for the info. After poking around a bit it seems like maybe this program wont do all I want it to, like add pavement for ramps, signage, use my added planes as static display, etc

Jay

IS3 does one thing really well...adding scenery objects from standard object libraries. For the other stuff you'll need other programs. For airport ground elements (ramps, taxiways, runways, etc.) you need an afcad program like ADE9 (freeware) or AFX (payware). Creating static aircraft requires either 1) converting flyable planes into scenery objects (I use SAMM for this), or 2) creating flight plans that leave the planes parked on the ramp almost all the time. Then there's creating your own scenery objects, a considerable study in itself. I'd love to be able to say that making scenery is easy, but it's not. You need to be motivated to put in the time it takes to learn how all this stuff works and fits together.

IS3 does one thing really well...adding scenery objects from standard object libraries. For the other stuff you'll need other programs. For airport ground elements (ramps, taxiways, runways, etc.) you need an afcad program like ADE9 (freeware) or AFX (payware). Creating static aircraft requires either 1) converting flyable planes into scenery objects (I use SAMM for this), or 2) creating flight plans that leave the planes parked on the ramp almost all the time. Then there's creating your own scenery objects, a considerable study in itself. I'd love to be able to say that making scenery is easy, but it's not. You need to be motivated to put in the time it takes to learn how all this stuff works and fits together.

What is SAAM?

-- tazz

tks Sidney, I was afraid of that! I tried ADE a while back and it was so frustrating I havent been back.

Do you have any knowledge about "Instant Objects" from Flight 1?  Primarily I was to be able to add/remove/,modify pavement and signs, would that program do that?

Update,.... just discovered AFX, this looks like what I need! Any opinions on this?

Jay

I use both Flight1's Instant Object Studio and AFX. I'm an admirer of ADE and all of Jon's other great programs, but for me these are the tools that I'm used to and work best for me. 

You should know before you jump in that scenery design is not simple. I don't mean to discourage you...quite the opposite. If you know that it's going to take time and patience to learn all this stuff, hopefully you'll be more likely to stick with it.

You should know before you jump in that scenery design is not simple. I don't mean to discourage you...quite the opposite. If you know that it's going to take time and patience to learn all this stuff, hopefully you'll be more likely to stick with it.

Yup, Im aware its going to be a learning curve, no issue with that. I just want to find a program that does what I want, I thought IS 3 was it but looks like its not. Appreciate the insights and help

Jay

Another question I have, can IS be used to add stuff to photoreal scenery?

Sure. Think of photoscenery as a layer of paint. You're just placing your scenery on top of it. Kind of like placing furniture on a painted floor.