Hi Guys,

After reading so many positive reviews I thought about trying ASN myself. I have downloaded the free trial version but unfortunately for some unknown reason it doesn't seem to be working on my computer. I keep getting the following error message "ASN cannot control ambient weather parameters correctly. thus it cannot function properly at this point and will shut down"….Sometimes FSX itself displays a message saying it can't run a third party add on i.e. ASN

Once I had a huge error message that I haveforwarded to the developers. I am really disappointed as it seems I am the only only one having such problems….

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ronnie

Hi Brian,

Thanks but I can't access the thread as I am not registered within them. I tried to register but they are asking for a order or licence key number?!

Ronnie

I see, well that would make it difficult then  :blush:

I don't think Damian will mind me posting this here:

Please try the following to solve problems with "cannot control ambient weather" message:

1) Ensure that the folder (FSX folder)\as_srv is excluded from virus scanning.
2) Make sure ASNext (asnext.exe) and the ASConnect modules (as_btstrp.dll and as_connect.dll in same folder as above) are excluded from scanning in your firewall/security software, as some security software over-aggressively blocks or scans these components.
3) Please ensure that you have selected YES when FSX asked to run as_btstrp.dll. If you said no, you will have to either clear the [Trusted] entry in fsx.cfg for as_btstrp.dll (as_connect) and restart FSX, or change the value at the end of that entry to 1
4) This may be related to rights access of the Program Files (x86) folder. This seems to affect some users but not all. If you've tried everything else, you can try to isolate this to access issues by doing one or more of the following:
a) Assign ownership of the Program Files (x86) folder to your user account (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/m.../ff404240.aspx) and assign read + write permissions to your user account for the FSX folder
B) Run FSX "as administrator" (Right click the FSX icon, choose "Run as administrator")
c) Disable UAC (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...#1TC=windows-7)

If you continue having this problem, please open a support ticket at support.hifitechinc.com with a full log export (tools, export logs) as well as your dll.xml and fsx.cfg, and please also list which AV/firewall/security software you are using. Thank you!

Regards,

Brian Doney

use the license key you got with the Trial.  The problem is that your permissions are not set correctly and are blocking ASN from connecting with FSX.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I have been seeing this error message quite frequently.  It really is frustrating especially when two-thirds into your flight and fsx freezes and you get a StackHash error and the error report in OP.

Before I even saw this post, I had already taken ownership of the main fsx folder and everything ASN.  Well, let's go through the checklist (my responses in bloody red):

1) Ensure that the folder (FSX folder)\as_srv is excluded from virus scanning.

No virus scanner installed.
2) Make sure ASNext (asnext.exe) and the ASConnect modules (as_btstrp.dll and as_connect.dll in same folder as above) are excluded from scanning in your firewall/security software, as some security software over-aggressively blocks or scans these components.

Windows Defender is disabled.  Nothing in Windows Firewall indicating these modules are being excluded from scanning.
3) Please ensure that you have selected YES when FSX asked to run as_btstrp.dll. If you said no, you will have to either clear the [Trusted] entry in fsx.cfg for as_btstrp.dll (as_connect) and restart FSX, or change the value at the end of that entry to 1

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\as_srv\as_btstrp.dll.zariouwnzrkorrkqhoohowlqrhbinhrcuaaunacu=1

4) This may be related to rights access of the Program Files (x86) folder. This seems to affect some users but not all. If you've tried everything else, you can try to isolate this to access issues by doing one or more of the following:
a) Assign ownership of the Program Files (x86) folder to your user account (http://technet.micro..../ff404240.aspx) and assign read + write permissions to your user account for the FSX folder

I installed the program "Take Ownership" and made sure I own the FSX folder and any folder located on another HDD that FSX might access.  That has stopped a lot of errors/problems but not this one.
B) Run FSX "as administrator" (Right click the FSX icon, choose "Run as administrator")

I'm the only Administrator.  There is no one else on my computer.  When I right click any and all of the folders, it says I'm the owner.
c) Disable UAC (http://windows.micro....#1TC=windows-7)

This was done on Day 1 when Windows was first installed.

I don't expect a solution here.  Just posting what I have done and it did not fix my problem.  I do think it is wrong that anyone who installs an addon has to make sure all of the above has happened.  I would not recommend anyone to mess around with their system firewall.   It is simply poor programming that should have been caught by the beta team or the developers.

Best regards,

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

The fix for this issue is to uncheck wind smoothing in the FSUIPC - http://forum.avsim.net/topic/430425-asn-ctd-cannot-control-ambient-weather-parameters/.  Thanks to Jess B for this solution.

Best regards,

• Upvote 1

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi all,

As indicated in our support forum threads there are a few users experiencing this and we have found several potential causes and solutions.  Note that this is not a wide-spread issue and we are doing our best to identify the reasons that this happens and avoid a complicated configuration process to get things to work, but at this stage we are still identifying the details.

Thank you for your assessment of our poor programming and beta testing.  It is deeply appreciated.  However, after 1 year of testing by approximately 30 testers with various configurations, this issue did not come up and as mentioned it is only a small percentage of users facing this.  And we're doing our best to identify and resolve this more elegantly for everyone.  The recommended steps are intended as an interim identification and resolution of the issue to get users up and running.

As you also note, this issue in your case (Jim) was related to FSUIPC compatibility issues which only just occurred post ASN-release.  We could not have predicted this.  We're also actively working with Peter Dowson to try and identify this new issue and resolve it.

Thanks for your understanding everyone.  If you are having any issues you are recommended to open a support ticket at support.hifitechinc.com for direct support from HiFi staff.

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

I apologize for my blunt and probably rude comments regarding ASN.  I like Active Sky software.  I own every version.  I got great support from Dave Opper who went beyond the call of duty digging through the HiFi files to find my previous registrations for ASA/ASE (for installation of AS2012).  However, it gets extremely frustrating when you are trying out a new version of the program and it freezes halfway to two-thirds of the way through the flight.  Beta testing is suppose to iron out these small bugs.  So far Hi Fi has had to release one hotfix dealing with the FSUIPC.  This latest issue is caused by the FSUIPC utility as disabling wind smoothing definitely eliminates the crashes (plus maybe taking ownership of the main FSX folder - a sharing/security issue?).  I can replicate the crash 100% of the time by enabling wind smoothing in the FSUIPC.  Is this the fault of HiFi?  Technically no but HiFi must know almost everyone has the registered or unregistered version of FSUIPC installed.  Beta testers most likely had the utility installed too.  I assume from Damian's comments above that wind smoothing was not enabled in previous versions of FSUIPC or the issue would have been discovered and fixed before release.  I always thought there was an option for wind smoothing in FSUIPC but I might be wrong.  I know HiFi will get it figured out soon.

Now that I have it running successfully though, I can positively state it is another great program from HiFi. I just completed another flight from KIAD to KCLT in extremely heavy real world weather here in the Northeast. I'm now a happy camper!

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

Hi!

I have the same problem. FSX freezes after 2/3 of the flight. I'm running ASN as an administrator and have done all of the tips above. Now I'm thinking of going back to AS 2012, because it's too anoying to have the simulator freeze after several hours of flight. I don't have FSUIPC. May that be an issue?

Tankfull for help.

Best regards/Laban4

thought that everyone  had at least the free version of  fsuipc, some addons   even require you to have it installed

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

So if I get FSUIPC and don't enable wind smoothing, FSX will not freeze? Where can I download FSUIPC, and is it enough with a free version?

Best regards!

http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html

It does solve a lot of  ctds  and freezes in some cases

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Hi all,

As indicated in our support forum threads there are a few users experiencing this and we have found several potential causes and solutions.  Note that this is not a wide-spread issue and we are doing our best to identify the reasons that this happens and avoid a complicated configuration process to get things to work, but at this stage we are still identifying the details.

Thank you for your assessment of our poor programming and beta testing.  It is deeply appreciated.  However, after 1 year of testing by approximately 30 testers with various configurations, this issue did not come up and as mentioned it is only a small percentage of users facing this.  And we're doing our best to identify and resolve this more elegantly for everyone.  The recommended steps are intended as an interim identification and resolution of the issue to get users up and running.

As you also note, this issue in your case (Jim) was related to FSUIPC compatibility issues which only just occurred post ASN-release.  We could not have predicted this.  We're also actively working with Peter Dowson to try and identify this new issue and resolve it.

Thanks for your understanding everyone.  If you are having any issues you are recommended to open a support ticket at support.hifitechinc.com for direct support from HiFi staff.

I am having the issue, add me to the list. I will try and register on your help forum but it find it ridiculous the amount of hoops you have to jump to do so. 

I have also tried the fixes listed here.. In the mean time I am using the older active sky as its crash free for me.

http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html

It does solve a lot of  ctds  and freezes in some cases

I just did a fresh install of the OS, I installed this also as one of my FSX reinstall must haves.. It still crashed. I am using the old active sky and it works fine until they get an update out.