Sign in to follow this  
Brian Riggs

AA workaround for NVidia cards

Great find Flying01!!!

It worked really well for me. Try it for yourself and see...

Agreed about the lousy remark... arrogance with ignorance is a bad combination.

I was wrong.. Thanks Jean-Paul for stirring my brain looking for Waldo. :)  I'm currently soaking my foot in a fine dark gravy and will be eating it shortly..    :lol:  My apologies Flying01.. Hence I highlighted "In my opinion"..  Always a good day for humble pie and I am not shy to eating it. 

What I completely successfully ignored (and maybe others?) in OPs post is his AA compatibility which he didn't really highlight at all.  AA Compatibility codes never came into play with FSX/P3D 1.4.. So it's an easy over sight to not even pay attention up there.. I only paid attention to his highlighting of the AA_Mode_Method...

Feldman.. Try it.. 

Here is the oversight I and probably others missed.

QpHpuOa.jpg

My results  and I angled it that normally shows every ugly line and FXAA is off

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Brian, you are my man. This is truly an excellent find. P3dv2 now looks super without jaggies. I have however just toned down the SGSS to 2X.

Made a few flights, no collateral effects, still smooth but without jaggies.

Pierre

Pierre

Placebo eh ? Then zoom in

I must be blind, or else I'm not noticing the right pixel...

I see absolutely no difference whatsoever in those two shots...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I must be blind, or else I'm not noticing the right pixel...

I see absolutely no difference whatsoever in those two shots...

The left image is much smoother... look at the numbers on the runway

Look at the < in the #3

I'm playing with this setting.. It seems there is a trade off here.. While runways are sharp as an arrow now, Plane AA dropped off and shimmery in the cockpit and pin striping is easily  jaggy now if you zoom out... It's like the opposite of the previous settings. Or maybe I'm just placeoing now. Gonna play around and see if I can't deal with that with some negative LOD bias... If not I'll just stick with the previous settings.. Runways go away, cockpits are always in my face. 

Either way.. It's an improvement and appreciated. 

Edit: Cockpit shimmering is just Carenados G1000 and nothing that can be done about it..  Fine on other planes

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

The left image is much smoother... look at the numbers on the runway

Okay, I had to go to 400% zoom to notice the slightly smoother edges of the diagonals on 3 and 2. At normal screen resolution though I would not have noticed.

Maybe I'm just not that fussy, or perhaps my eyesight isn't up to snuff... :)

Fr. Bill    

Fr. Bill, download the BMP, it will be more obvious.

Bill, the trade-off I see is that the scenery looks slightly blurrier. But as for in the cockpit, 4xsgss keeps everything sharp.

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

I7 8700K / Fractal Design Celsius S24 watercooling / ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard / Corsair 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 / INNO3D iChiLL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 / Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB / Seasonic-SSR-850FX power supply / Fractal Design Define R5 Black case / AOC Q3279VWF 32″ 2560x1440 monitor / Benq GL2450 24″ 1920x1080 monitor / Track-IR 4

Jean-Paul.. I agree. I just edited my post.. It was Carenados G1000 (I switched planes while playing)...  Nothing stops the LCD's of that from shimmer.. Otherwise things look fine everywhere else..

Sticking with Flying01's settings.. Definitely the better of the two and the slight trade off isn't bad unless you go looking for it. 

Thanks, Jean-Paul. I did look (again) at the BMP image and now that I know what to look for it is indeed a distinct improvement.

Since I normally am pretty busy either testing or just flying for fun, my eyes simply don't register stuff like that. I'm more concerned with the virtual cockpit being crisp and clear.

When I was barely into my tweens (12 or so) my parents finally noticed that my eyesight was off. I'd focus the movie or slide projector to where it was clear for me, and they'd complain that it was fuzzy and out of focus. A few days later I got my first set of glasses. Even today at almost 65, the world is still just very slightly blurry within a few days after getting new glasses. :Nerd:

Fr. Bill    

What I'm a bit lost about is what is being used as the "base" for the changes? Is this a new entry and tweak in NI or are the FSX settings being used to tweak from?

Got rid of my shimmering.. Dropped in game MSAA to 4X instead to match the SSAA ratio.. All the shimmering on the LCD, and even small text on the panel is gone..  This is now 100% perfect and as good as FSX

I missed the bio Shock thing also. My apologizes. Only thing Ive seen that does make a difference. Bio shock.

I missed the bio Shock thing also. My apologizes. Only thing Ive seen that does make a difference. Bio shock.

The bioshock tweak comes from the FSX DX10 NI settings. I should've noted that in the original post.

Just happy to contribute and glad that others are finding success with these settings.

Brian Riggs

PPL 2001

Not To Hi-jack the Thread but does anyone know why for Some the second slider on the scenery page Shows  "Mesh Complexity" and for others it  says " Tessellation Factor"

Seems Funny to have one or the other, I'm sure it does the same thing so i was wondering if it's the type of card installed.   Beats me.