Sign in to follow this  

My first OOM after installing FTX Ireland

I think the real danger here is that premature add-on releases make LM P3DV2 platform look bad ... I sure hope LM don't elect to move down the road of "Certified" add-ons in order to protect their product.

.... I sure hope LM don't elect to move down the road of "Certified" add-ons in order to protect their product.

Is that so bad? At the moment, P3Dv2 is being held back by fsx legacy. A lot of 3rd Party Developers would be quite happy to stay there because it is more cost effective to fleece a captive market rather than develop and support two platforms. Look at a certain recent product. They were so scared, they locked their it away from P3D.

Why? Because they want to maintain control of their major share position for as long as they can and in the most cost effective way. Simple business principles.

Send control back to the platform developer, LM, (remember Apple and Google have done this) and we can start to move forward again. If that does not happen, the likes of PMDG and Orbx will suck you for all you are worth.

Don't believe me? It's happening now. Just look at the many posts proclaiming this wont work, or that wont work or worse still, YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO.

Who is controlling who here? As long as LM can control this platform, (even if that requires certification to agreed standards), the progress of flight simulation has a better chance of evolution than it does the way things stand currently.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Sim720 have done some great work on their airports and surrounding areas.  If I understand you correctly Orbx EU Ireland was actually done by the Sim720 developer(s)?

(...)

On a side note, there was no MESH provided with EU Ireland (or the installer was missing it) and there were supposed to be some other files in my P3DV2 directories that didn't exist ... I ran the installer as "Admin" as I do all my FSX and P3DV2 products so pretty sure it's not an access rights issues.

(...)

As stated by Jeroen already all FTX EU regions were made by SIM720 (and their SCO is actually great!).

NIR was definitely rushed to the market; not sure about the IRL quality, though.

And neither of the two Ireland regions include custom mesh ...

Is that so bad?

Certification would require LM resources and will delay the release of 3rd party products and increase the cost of those products.  It also produces a conflict of interest if LM are working on a feature for the next version and a 3rd party vendor produces a similar feature -- LM may refuse certification for any number of reasons (BTW, Apple has done this many times for their market segment).  Also, certification does NOT mean "bug free", it just means it meets a pre-defined set of criteria.

Certification would probably reduce the size of the 3rd party content provider market (significantly).

It has positives and it has negatives, but I think the FS community is just too small for a certification process to have a positive affect.  I personally think we just need to give developers time and see what they come up with.

Rob

Is that so bad? At the moment, P3Dv2 is being held back by fsx legacy. A lot of 3rd Party Developers would be quite happy to stay there because it is more cost effective to fleece a captive market rather than develop and support two platforms. Look at a certain recent product. They were so scared, they locked their it away from P3D.

Why? Because they want to maintain control of their major share position for as long as they can and in the most cost effective way. Simple business principles.

Send control back to the platform developer, LM, (remember Apple and Google have done this) and we can start to move forward again. If that does not happen, the likes of PMDG and Orbx will suck you for all you are worth.

Don't believe me? It's happening now. Just look at the many posts proclaiming this wont work, or that wont work or worse still, YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO.

Who is controlling who here? As long as LM can control this platform, (even if that requires certification to agreed standards), the progress of flight simulation has a better chance of evolution than it does the way things stand currently.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

You may want to add a disclaimer. "IMO", "I believe", "I was thinking", "Could be" ," I reckon". Because all it is is an opinion and you really dont know for sure! Notice Rob states "I think"

Notice Rob states "I think"

Aah, but am I speaking as a Journalist, or as Developer, or as just another person ... hehe ... sorry Frooglesim reference, he cracks me up when he says "I'm speaking as a journalist" ... this is most definitely "my opinion" :)

Certification should be easy

"To the best of your knowledge did you follow the SDK / Yes or No.. If we determine you lied just to be certified your developer license will be revoked

x_______________"

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

I was surprised too at how blurry the add-on scenery is in P3Dv2, shame really. LM trying to flog a dead horse by 'enhancing' an outdated core in FSX, Devs trying to flog their products as 'P3Dv2 ready' which while technically they are, they dont work so well as we expect. Perhaps our expectations are too high with this old dog?  Perhaps in a few years when devs fully understand the parts they can optimize will we see (some high quality) add-ons shine. 

Not incredibly useful information, but thought I'd share.  I ran three 1-2 hrs flights using "Building Storm" weather in various aircraft starting at KMSP (Minnesota St.Paul) and ending at KDLH (Duluth) - taking various routes.

Some VAS observations:

1.  Carenado A36 (default P3DV2 aircraft) - starts at 2.7GB VAS on landing 3.6GB VAS

2.  Carenado B200 (3rd party) - starts at 2.9GB VAS on landing 3.7GB VAS

3.  Majestic Q-400 (3rd party) - starts at 3.4GB  flight OOM's about 30 mins into flight at 3.9GB VAS

4.  FTXG "Vector Road Lights" seems to impact VAS considerable even during day

5.  Disable FTXG and VAS never exceeded 3.2GB

6.  Change views consumes VAS (quickly changing views and returning to VC does not change VAS)

7.  VAS usage fluctuates throughout the flight and can go up and also down (didn't expect to see it go down)

8.  View zoom 0.30 seems to have a higher VAS usage than View zoom 0.40 in VC

9.  Pending OOM warnings come when I start getting black frames (entire VC flashes black)

FPS was always good, staying around 30 fps most of the flight.  Not making any conclusions, just a list of my observations.  

My conclusion after watching it all from a distance is that even if I was Inclined to try P3Dv2 (which i'm not, particularly) it would probably be better to wait a while.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5