Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Anyone having strong performance in complex add-on airports?

P3D V2 is an odd duck.  In some situations it performs fabulously, in others it just, relatively, tanks--and the odd part is lowering sliders doesn't help much at all in some of these situations.  Have you noticed this?  I was parked at the gate at default KDEN in the CS Super MD-80 Pro, notoriously easy on frames.  If you've flown out of there in FSX you know it's a ways out from downtown and there isn't a whole lot of autogen around the terminal either.  Parked there near a jetway I'm see a very paltry 25 frames per second looking at nothing special--just the side of the terminal building at the gate w/ not much else visible.  If I panned to the left window, frames went up to 40.  The really weird part is GPU use is only around 33% or so--and V2 was 'in focus'.   Some something was taxing frame rate performance terribly and the GPU wasn't helping.   Moving on to KPHX from FlightBeam, coming in on final, this time w/ full open view forward, i.e. no VC, just front outside view, frames are right around 24 if I recall.  I'm not in a PMDG T7 mind you--the MD80 is about like any lightweight default bird, surprisingly.   I only had vehicle shadows on, and ticking more shadow boxes really had no effect whatsoever, and autogen density made very little difference between NORMAL and VERY DENSE either, which was odd to me.  There are some unpredicted behaviors I am finding and it has not thing to do 'losing focus' as I got on to that issue right away.   Now go over to KSBA, lots of ocean water there, and GPU is now up to 80%, frames ~50 on the active runway heading west.  And doing the VRAM test around the SF Bay Area in the Duke I got quite reasonable performance w/ up to 5.9Gb of VRAM in use and moderately high GPU use w/ very complex settings.    What I'm also seeing is that stronger GPU, as in SLI'd Titan, will not add anything meaningful to the types of poor performing areas I'm seeing happen where frames are fairly low yet GPU use in my Titan isn't anywhere near maxed, so I"m not seeing how adding a 2nd Titan will help when I'm currently only seeing 45-50% GPU utilization in those types of areas.   Some types of sceneries just don't seem to exploit the GPU, whereas others do.  FB's KPHX doesn't seem to use the GPU as much as it needs to.  

Currently, I do not see being able to run PMDG stuff in very big cities and especially at add-on airports big enough to accommodate T7 or even NGX.  Or there may be very specific areas where they do OK and other areas they don't, and may be hard to predict which is which w/o the testing.  The argument could be made that maybe these areas are just terribly poorly optimized for V2's rendering engine, but I'm thinking that may not be possible or will be very unlikely to happen on a wide scale.  Again, why I saw 25 fps at point blank range from the gate at KDEN is beyond me--there was nothing there to process, or so it seemed.  And truly, in other areas performance is very good.  Right now I feel V2, despite the strong rig I'm running it on, is going to be confined to smaller and/or lighter aircraft in small to moderate size airports, so in general not good for my previously preferred way to spend time flying  which was in tube liners.  Not bad to have two different sims for two different types of use for sure, and graphically, there's some very cool stuff in V2 for sure, certainly enough to keep it around for more intimate lower/slower flying.  But I'm having trouble seeing it as a one-size fits all simulator as FSX really became for me.  It's early maybe something will change.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

The argument could be made that maybe these areas are just terribly poorly optimized for V2's rendering engine

You got it.

You got it.

Well, maybe.   I hope so, but do we have even one example of what 'optimized for V2' is, i.e., how much optimization can be done, and how this compares w/ product that is not optimized?  I think the jury is completely out on this question still!

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

KDFW and KLAX run fine for me. Comparable to FSX and smooth.

KPHX is a dog. Normally, KPHX runs the best in FSX.