Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Well...I liked the electric razor so much, I purchased the company!

Does anybody remember (I am dating myself, lol!) that commercial of a guy (the C.E.O) running an electric razor up and down upon his cheek, and stating to the camera; "I like the shave of this (I think it was a Remington electric micro-screen) razor so much, that I purchased the company!"...

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I treated myself to the Carenado C90B XPX.x version of this turbo-prop, and liked it so much, that I purchased the FSX/P3D version as well.  Happy Holidays to myself!  Happy Holidays to you all as well!

Ho, ho, hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

"Jingle bells, jingle bells, spinning the turbo's as I hum,....(hum, hum)  oh the stereo sound of the 3D props biting into air, is such a glorious round, OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, Jingle Bells, jingle bells...."........

Post Edit (in flight...)  "Wow factor 100 on both platforms!"  This sled has the Sesquashtoo Seal of Approval for both XPX and FSX!"

Ses

Well, let me start by thanking you for your, always, extremely positive posts! You can't go wrong that way, in simming  and in life ;-) !!!!

I have a similar experience of acquisitions about to happen, but I was even afraid to post it here... anyway, as you know, I am now also in FSX DX10 + ASN and my preferred addons  too, sharing my sim time between FSX and X_plane 10 like never before :-)

I was long tempted to buy the Majestic Q-400 for FSX because I have only heard the best about it. I wondered how it behaved, specially on the details of modelling the turbines, and also, of course, regarding prop effects :-)

Many users commented it really required rudder on takeoff and initial climb, sometimes a LOT of rudder. A friend Q-400 pilot in RL ( SATA Air Azores Q-400 captain ) also reported exactly the same, but added that once airborne the yaw damper is switched on, and most of the effects are taken care by that system...

Well, in my mind a virtual image of how the Majestic Q-400 would perform in FSX started to build, and I couldn't resist a recent bargain and bought it...

Took me 6 days to take my first flight because I have been rather busy at work and arrive home going directly to bed... but this morning I managed to get the engines working, taxied to the rw, started the takeoff run, as soon as the steering tiller became innefective and the rudder alive I did have to use right rudder, BUT!!!!, as soon as I took off... guess what?  Do I even have o mention it?  Ok, I do... LOT's of  RIGHT AILERON REQUIRED TOO, with my left wing going down due to the huge torque effects...

Somehow I was convinced that that would be the necessary outcome, because I know the aircraft uses an external FDE, based on one I know more or less - JSBsim - also used in Flight Gear, and also known by the "torque bug"....

So... the best addons for FSX fly like in X-plane 10 :-) The same happens with the A2A C172...

What will follow?  I will buy FlyJsim's Q-400... It can't be that much different from what I found, flightmodel wise, in the Majestic model. Of course the Majestic Q-400 is a very very complex aircraft, with all, or almost all of the systems modeled, double FMCs, etc... (can even be used by two sim pilots...) but when it comes to flight characteristics, I guess both will probably behave similarly... 

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

What will follow?  I will buy FlyJsim's Q-400...

-----------------------------------------------------

Hey Jcomm, congrat's on your becoming a Mod. It can be very rewarding in keeping AVSIM a great site!

I am presently stumbling around the C90 on both platforms, and then will later on today, prowl the flight manuals to fully realize this bird.  I am very impressed with everything so far. Great visuals, adjusting to flight dynamics, great sound from those bad boys spinning out there...having a really good time on the 'learn curve'. I'm going to park the wallet for a while and enjoy the C90 and get the most out of this gorgeous bird in both platforms!  Man oh, man...but if I only had the real-life sheckles to actually write the cheque, and take off from the point-of-purchase....oh well...that is exactly why flight simulation exists... LOL!  Here...I can.....

Salute!

Well...both renditions of this plane, for XPX.x and FSX/P3D are very nice.

Having said that though, it is quite obvious that planes created for XPX (I guess what can be done, and not done, rendered, and not rendered...) are far superior to that offered on the FSX/P3D platform. It is...what it is...the XPlane version is drop-dead gorgeous, and the rain and icing effects on the cockpit windows is A1!   The most realistic in action that I have seen.  I think that I might just keep any further future plane purchases, now reserved for the  XPlane platform.  I could do a true aircraft A/B Microsoft based/ Xplane based compare...and Xplane gets the Blue Ribbon, hand's down!

Carenado...for your Xplane C90B version....WAY TO GO!  Thumb's UP!

Post Edit:  Just wanted to mention, that if you have headphones on...the sound package is so fantastic, you will FEEL the rumblings from the headphone drivers as you head down the runway on your roll-out.  FSX did not produce this at all with the same headphones.  Sounds within the cockpit are amazing...and the outside spill sonic effect is truly there and not just hype from off of the order page.  I am blown away, and I highly agree with all others that purchased this sled before I did today.  THEY WERE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!  This one should be on everybody's XPX.x holiday list...

Post Edit:  Snow accumulates upon the windshield, with wiper smear forming....OMG!  Dynamic and not static....real life action!

Ses

post-125297-0-88777300-1387026880.jpg

post-125297-0-36154400-1387028406.jpg

I was long tempted to buy the Majestic Q-400 for FSX because I have only heard the best about it. I wondered how it behaved, specially on the details of modelling the turbines, and also, of course, regarding prop effects :-)

Many users commented it really required rudder on takeoff and initial climb, sometimes a LOT of rudder. A friend Q-400 pilot in RL ( SATA Air Azores Q-400 captain ) also reported exactly the same, but added that once airborne the yaw damper is switched on, and most of the effects are taken care by that system...

Well, in my mind a virtual image of how the Majestic Q-400 would perform in FSX started to build, and I couldn't resist a recent bargain and bought it...

Took me 6 days to take my first flight because I have been rather busy at work and arrive home going directly to bed... but this morning I managed to get the engines working, taxied to the rw, started the takeoff run, as soon as the steering tiller became innefective and the rudder alive I did have to use right rudder, BUT!!!!, as soon as I took off... guess what? Do I even have o mention it? Ok, I do... LOT's of RIGHT AILERON REQUIRED TOO, with my left wing going down due to the huge torque effects...

Somehow I was convinced that that would be the necessary outcome, because I know the aircraft uses an external FDE, based on one I know more or less - JSBsim - also used in Flight Gear, and also known by the "torque bug"....

So... the best addons for FSX fly like in X-plane 10 :-) The same happens with the A2A C172...

I'm like JComm in a way. He "was" just deleting various sims, when the urge kicks up. I get ticked, and sign off forums. And since I never get around to changing the password they send me, to something simple, I have to go back in emails to look it up. But.......I'm always drawn to the "torque issue", which I saw on my I-phone this morning, which isn't logged on.

The Magestic 400 for FSX. It's known that the torque effects are highly overdone. It's been talked about a lot. They are incorrect. It should be rudder on the climb, and just a tad of aileron trim for pure hands off flight, without auto-pilot. And that's if it needs any aileron trim, as much of the time it's set and forget between flights. There is even a video on the net from someone who's father flies the Q400 to show that the simulated torque effects are bogus. I collected a lot of information on these effects during the summer. Many include the Q400.

The A2A Cessna for FSX is also wrong. For these specific short comings, I just can't judge them as best for FSX. They'll always be wrong in the flight dynamics department, when exhibiting over done "torqe". The roll should be a secondary effect of yaw..........which should be countered with rudder in the first place

On this subject, once again, I bought it up last evening at a airport Christmas dinner. Two good friends, a husband and wife, both do a lot flying. She was able to get some hands on experience in the B-17 recently. They made a comparison to the Bonanza they own. I asked about "torque", seeing how a B-17 pilot had already told me that there was none. The husband, quickly said, it's nothing like the P-51 (since he's flown them too). So naturally, we discussed P-51 "torque" and the fact, I have a interest due to flight simulation flight dynamics. He doesn't fly desktop simulations. It's right rudder on takeoff. You'll feel the torque on the roll. If any aileron is needed to keep the wing level as you leave the ground then do it. It will be mainly "rudder". I then asked about torque and roll in cruise. He said there isn't any. That's the same thing another friend who flew that 2600 HP

single piston engine Skyraider in Vietnam....said. He said......"no,no.....it's not aileron you use on takeoff, it's RUDDER!"

As long as JComm knows it's wrong to start with, I'll feel better. :smile:

Of course they're both plain wrong, I know, and that was, in fact, one of the purposes of my post...

This problem is not unique to X-plane 10, although in X-Plane 10 it exists by default, just as in JSBsim (FG) in a certain way... Of course it can be tuned down in FSX and JSBSim, and also in X-plane by using tweaks as well.

What I would love to have is a 10.30 where prop effects were modelled exactly ( at least ) as I have them in ELITE!!!

I still have to record that video in ELITE and show you what I mean ;-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

What I would love to have is a 10.30 where prop effects were modelled exactly ( at least ) as I have them in ELITE!!!

I still have to record that video in ELITE and show you what I mean ;-)

In the ELITE demo I have, the effect seems to be, on the contrary, very underdone. I mean, if I try to fly without using rudder at all, uncoordinated, there is barely a roll tendency, very very very small. In the RL Columbia video shown by Austin instead, the roll tendency when flying uncoordinated was very quick and evident.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

In the ELITE demo I have, the effect seems to be, on the contrary, very underdone. I mean, if I try to fly without using rudder at all, uncoordinated, there is barely a roll tendency, very very very small. In the RL Columbia video shown by Austin instead, the roll tendency when flying uncoordinated was very quick and evident.

Depends on the model... If you pick the Mooney, or the Arrow IV, you'll see the yaw-induced roll building :-)

post-257741-0-89138900-1387048743.jpg

Main Simulation Rig:

For the first month, while putting required test hours on my RV6, I sometimes just let it fly uncoordinated on cross countries. I did not yet have a fixed rudder trim tab, and it really does take a lot of foot force in cruise to keep the ball centered. In the meantime, at cruise speeds, the ailerons are very close to neutral position. I was also using an electric trim for heavy "right" wing, at the time. I went through a bunch of in-flight pics to verify my thoughts.

In so many words, an aileron force in cruise flight, is very light, compared to what's required for the rudder. It only took a small tab rivited to the rudder (as Cessna 172's have), to counter the force. But the required foot pressure will surprise and tire you quickly......if you don't know.

In Austin's video, the yaw and roll is taking place, as full throttle is applied. Those are the same effects you'll get on the takeoff roll, which is different from a well rigged plane at cruise speeds.

Use rudder, and you won't get the secondary effect of roll --- due to dihedral, high wings,or swept wings, which all offer stability.

Notes: The RV heavy right wing was caused by a slightly larger radius on left aileron trailing edge. Fixed with a slight bit of sheetmetal squeeze. Left yaw at cruise speed fixed by rudder tab. This plane has no built in vertical stab offset. Wing incidence is symmetrical.

You guys gave me the bug and I bought something from Carenado.  I couldn't pass up the Grand Caravan.  It flies beautifully and has no torque problem!  I am surprised about the torque because of it having a reputation for high thrust.  Flies like a dream.  Still learning but it appears that the panel lights operate backward and I have not been able to get it to intercept ILS.  I'm sure I'm doing something wrong there, but overall, it is a great $14.98 usd aircraft!

John

Update - Figured both out...  Flying fine now!

John Wingold

Ianrivaldosmith - If you are talking about the Grand Caravan, I was (I use TrackIR 5) zooming into the knobs (hidden behind the yoke) and trying to move them from close up.  I found out that they move if you don't zoom in, just place your cursor and get the -(  )+ over the knob and move it.  It is still backward (toward the left for brightening and right for reducing the brightness) but it works.  You can hide the yoke if it doesn't work, but it works on top of the yoke in the bottom right area. 

The ILS problem.... wrong frequency... :-(  !

John

John Wingold

On the Q400, I think the tutorial says you have to have the Yaw Damper on at takeoff.....is that incorrect?

Correct!  Yaw Damper ON from before takeoff to after landing on the Q-400!

Thank you for pointing this out for me - I didn't read the documents, on the Majestic Q-400 I am using in FSX, and it does make a difference!!! I guess the same applies for the X-Plane FlyJSim version, and it may even lessen the effects of the "torque bug"...

Main Simulation Rig:

Correction on the panel lights on C208B.  What I thought was happening wasn't....  The LPanel knob is the only one that seems to work and it is adjusted by moving the -( )+ up and down instead of left or right.  Goes against the system used in all other aircraft I have used.

John

John Wingold