Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Lost all my controllers in FSX after P3Dv2

I installed P3d earlier in the week and after installing the Duke with Estonia Migration tool, configuring my Warthog and Saitek combat pedals, I found when I went back to FSX after switching back the EMT, that my controllers no longer worked! Can anyone shed some light on this for me. Cheers...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Welcome to the club.

When I installed P3D, the default flight started at full throttle. Great fun.

A guy over at the P3D forum figured it out. My Warthog throttle axis had been duplicated across 3 different devices, that is, the throttle itself, the joystick and the rudder pedals. After checking and resetting everything, it all worked.

My point here is that P3D has probably hosed your assignments so it looks like you have a bit of work to do this fine Saturday :>)

Mark

Hmm, great. Well FWIW, I'm done with P3D for the moment, I have just reinstalled FSX from my last backup, no sweat, but all working fine now. Thanks Mark...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

I'll be putting in for a refund. It was fun to play with, but FSX on a 4770k and a GTX780 is hard to beat.

It's interesting what windows will do to your controllers!

Man goes to car showroom. Salesman says, you really have to try this new model sir. You get all these extras, better performance and free servicing until the new model comes out. Man says, yes, but I have to buy premium gas and my toolbox won't fit in the trunk.

It's interesting what windows will do to your controllers!

It's not Windows changing them it's Prepar3D.

Exactly. P3D assigns axes and buttons by some default principle, just like FSX does! There is no difference really. I highly suggest you assign them via FSUIPC, all axes and buttons and disable controllers in P3D/FSX completely. It is possible.

But why should I have to purchase FSUIPC in order to use Prepar3D - I haven't for FSX?

It's not Windows changing them it's Prepar3D.

I wouldn't rule out the Migration Tool as the cause either. A P3d installation does nothing to any of the FSX folder(s), so the only possible connection would be that all the ESP family uses the same Control Panel applet to calibrate the controllers. The calibration information is stored in the Windows registry.

I wouldn't rule out the Migration Tool as the cause either. A P3d installation does nothing to any of the FSX folder(s), so the only possible connection would be that all the ESP family uses the same Control Panel applet to calibrate the controllers. The calibration information is stored in the Windows registry.

Actually you're 100% correct. During the time I was testing things, I went between the two sims and things were OK. It was only after installing the Estonian Migration Tool that the problem was caused, directly after it's use! BTW, some good points here. I had to smile to myself yesterday, I had a fantastic flight. KLAX down to KPHX, real weather, the NGX, beautiful and smooth and half way through the flight I asked myself, why would I bother changing this? I found it difficult to find a convincing answer for myself.

Howard

So any idea as to what I should do to try and correct the issue the next time I want to use the EMT?

Howard

Hi Howard

I personally like using FSUIPC for assigning all my controller's, the biggest reason being that you can have different assignments for different types of aircraft.

cheers

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

Hi Howard

I personally like using FSUIPC for assigning all my controller's, the biggest reason being that you can have different assignments for different types of aircraft.

cheers

Sure, I have the registered FSUIPC version in FSX...

Howard

So any idea as to what I should do to try and correct the issue the next time I want to use the EMT?

Howard,

I do have the upgrade to the EMT installed, but after reading this thread, I got worried and I haven't used it. Actually, I also haven't had the need to use it. EMT could have played a role in this, but it doesn't do anything too exciting to your FSX folders, so how it played a role is hard to understand.

I should also say that I have no idea what happened or how the EMT might have done that, but it is possible that the FSX file that contains the controller information (Standard.XML) got corrupted somehow. It is found here on my PC, but the different versions of Windows have different locations:

C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Controls

If the file is there, open it with Notepad and see what it looks like. You might also have some backup copies in that folder, from installation of other apps. Have you tried calibrating the controller from the Windows Control Panel app? Does that work properly? Do all the controller settings show up in the FSX options page?

Jay

Howard,

I do have the upgrade to the EMT installed, but after reading this thread, I got worried and I haven't used it. Actually, I also haven't had the need to use it. EMT could have played a role in this, but it doesn't do anything too exciting to your FSX folders, so how it played a role is hard to understand.

I should also say that I have no idea what happened or how the EMT might have done that, but it is possible that the FSX file that contains the controller information (Standard.XML) got corrupted somehow. It is found here on my PC, but the different versions of Windows have different locations:

C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Controls

If the file is there, open it with Notepad and see what it looks like. You might also have some backup copies in that folder, from installation of other apps. Have you tried calibrating the controller from the Windows Control Panel app? Does that work properly? Do all the controller settings show up in the FSX options page?

Jay

Thanks Jay, I posted on the EMT forum and they suggested downloading the installer again.  Anyway, I have done and I will also make a backup of the XML folder you suggested before trying things out again. Cheers...

Howard