Sign in to follow this  

Well, at least one dev is waking up... (or is it retreating...?)

Well, Since we are all now ready to start blowing up P3D and all of the developers for having some growing pains with a new product...then let me add this:

I spent a ton of money based on all the hype from every part of the world about how great this was going to be. Well, just this morning I tried to install PACMAN into This wonderful new sim and nothing. It will not run. Just to confirm that P3D is the rubbish that you all think I said to myself, I bet that since this is a great product It will run my NASCAR game just fine. Same thing, it will not run!! No pretty pic, nothing...notah!! :Cry:

I hate Microsoft, LM, ORBX, JV, John, Harry, Jim, Carenado, Active Sky, and to be honest, I am not at all sure the Pope is not somehow involved in trying to ruin my Saturday.

Well back to playing with my Etch a Sketch.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Well, at last... at least one dev is discovering you can't simply change the path in the installer tp P3D 2.0 and expect the addon to be compatible. There clearly is more to it!!! What we all said all along!

So... they have promoted P3D 2.0 to pieces, telling us all it is the future, but when push comes to shove, well, they don't really have the time to make it all happen and we should be patient...

It really amazes me that Orbx seems to be SURPRISED by this...

my comment, "Looks like LM pretty much screwed the pooch re any of the smaller devs out there who have their files in the same format I did....I wonder how many third party proggies are permanently "broken" in V2.0" on the topic below.

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=3986

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Sounds to me like they are just "grooming" us so that when they re-charge full price for the scenery, they'll have an excuse.

I have a theory, but it's just that.. What "devs have been doing"..

Remember.. A theory.. FSX devs have had it easy for years.. They had open reign at a static target.. In comes LM and that stastic target is now growing new limbs and is no longer a static target.. Remember day one of release in this forum and the big push back there was from the FSX side of things (reminiscent of MS Flights push back)? My theory is some 3PD tried getting blood from a stone.. ie: Things changed and they wanted them to stay the same.. A referee finally came in and said "No"...

Again... Just a theory as I sit here sipping on my coffee and cursing at the TV because there is nothing to watch... :lol:

I kinda agree with your theory. I also think that privately, the dev's at a certain developer knew the outcome and were beaten down. Commercial pressures, like targets are a good and bad thing. What JV has communicated, is what is called a 'U' turn here in the UK. Its what politicians do, and they lose credibility because of it.

Has there been any software that has been 'performance optimized' for V2? And moreover, does anyone really know what 'optimized' can mean for V2?

Nope. But there has been some aware of the need to. Not at least PMDG. Others including Magestic,Milviz and Aerosoft are finding out rather quickly.

Not if LM and various devs told us so...!

Lockheed Martin never told us that. What it said was that Prepar3d V1.4/FSX add-ons should work in V2.0 - not that all will work. It was others whose enthusiasm outran their understanding who read more into that than  Lockheed Martin actually said.

It's still early. I feel confident that things will be improved. When I can make P3D2 run for more than 10 minutes without an OOM or CTD, it's great. Decent fps and a few nice features. Seeing that LM really cares about feedback from users I see no reason to shoot them or developers down in flames yet.

That said, it is obvious that there should have been more beta-testers invited to the party. I'll continue to report errors, and hopefully everyone else will.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

There is another qualification... Add ons may work in P3D2, but will they work their "best". Clearly the changes brought about by moving aspects of the engine to the gpu is quite significant. As a developer, it may be the case and most certainly should be that their are new best practices to observe to get the best outcome in p3d2. It could even be a matter of tuning.... I don't know. But I am on surprised but rather encouraged. I would prefer a fully compliant add-on, not one that is simply compatible..... And some devs are already planning this route.... So I wait.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Interesting development.

I posted more a few times in the last week and a half to the effect that P3Dv2 compatibility is going to take more than an updated installer.  I refrained from really assigning blame or scorn to any developer at the time, but I do agree with some of the sentiments posted here regarding Orbx.  Just prior to release, they sure showed a lot of nice P3Dv2 screenshots...  I think those screens did a lot to stoke our imaginations of what could be.

The thing is, JV and any of the other devs out there that were singing the praises of P3Dv2 are absolutely right in a way:  P3Dv2 could be the way forward for the MS based side of simming.  It's more advanced, has more features, has a clear development path forward, and most importantly, is being actively supported.

However, it's very clear that although it shares the same DNA, it's a different platform.  I can't wait until actual native P3Dv2 addons start to appear - I think there'll be some exciting times ahead for sure.  But I do think it was a miscalculation on any developers part to start singing the praises of their current addons within that platform.  Look at the headaches it's causing - support issues galore, and the possibility of resentment over having to recoup additional dev costs through potential 'upgrade' pricing.

Developers (and I can think of a few who are following this approach) should be much more cautious about recommending P3Dv2 as an immediate upgrade to be used with their products.  They would be much better served in making sure we clearly see all of the reasons why the platform is a completely different development target.  We would be far less demanding of cross compatibility, and far more accepting of the idea that we may have to repurchase our addons.

I do think that LM is partly to blame here.  Don't get me wrong, I am very appreciative of the fact that they have taken the care to include the simulation community.  However, they have lots to gain from a marketing standpoint by being able to claim compatibility with such a huge range of existing add-ons.  It was, and is, in their best interest to get the community involved, thereby ensuring the involvement of developers to create content that they don't have the resources to create themselves.

Thing is, I'm not even sure LM was aware at how far many of the top tier developers were pushing the FSX platform.  After all, a lot of the tricks being used by the various devs are pretty secret.  They might have truly believed that there was going to be a lot better cross compatibility than what actually transpired!

I was also going to add, since it's come up a few times, that the Q400 is one of the addons that is as far away from native P3Dv2 compatibility as possible.  It has an external FDE running under a platform not designed to have that ability.  Now that P3Dv2 has the built in ability for developers to do exactly that, it is likely one of the few airplane addons that would require the most change in order to make it fully P3Dv2 native.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Orbx.....nuff said.

I remember a guy here (just can't remember his name) who was saying the same thing about breaking add on compatibility because of DX11 and other stuff wayyyyyy before release of V2.0, he was also implying that he would be very surprised if major compatibility patch were not offered for a price or if you would have to buy brand new add on as the one already out would be to much trouble to patch for free...time will tell I guess...I have his name on the tip of my tongue, can you read it..  :P

Yeah, I think I remember that guy, he's one of the biggest trolls on these boards.

I'd just like to point out that P3dv2 has been out for less than a month. Let it grow. This issue with Orbx products needs time. we should not expect everything to work like magic.

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

I am optimistic that things will get sorted out, therefore will be patient.  Default P3D is pretty good and many are enjoying or learning to enjoy the new platform for what it is.  I, for one, will be looking forward to see it grow and develop over time.  

In regards to ORBX, I believe they been very important to this hobby and in fact, could you imagine where this hobby would be without ORBX.  I am sure JV and his team will get this sorted out and the community and other developers will be well served by their efforts because ORBX is big enough and has enough talent to figure out what is needed to get things together.

I am very pleased that we have a modern platform, even though it has some issues at the moment.  I am glad that this platform has an active and dedicated team working on it that is backed by a solid company, as well as very high end development houses that are committed to producing top tier products.  In my book, things are good and will eventually be great.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Yeah, I think I remember that guy, he's one of the biggest trolls on these boards.

LOL, so far where is the troll wrong about what he said was going to happen?

I'd just like to point out that P3dv2 has been out for less than a month. Let it grow. This issue with Orbx products needs time. we should not expect everything to work like magic.

I agree to give it time but in the same token, dont be poring sugar all over it either claiming it is what it isnt! LM updates schedules are not speedy either BTW. Just read, as far as Vsync, LM has stated the program is fine and its up to Nvidia to make their drivers work with P3DV2 adaptive Vsync. GOOD LUCK there!! I also like the LM response that most of their customers use the cockpit approach, no displaying an aircraft model, so its been optimized for that such usage. That really is not optimal for the average type  simmer. It is a professional simulator and built for such purposes.

Let me quote myself for once...

But after being annoyed for years by popping up autogen, I just can't let go of P3D 2.0 right now... ^_^

Well, while the devs are waking up, I might as well put flightsimming to sleep, for a while at least... I reinstalled P3D this afternoon because I decided that I'd be better off with P3D default, without any addons. I just started a flight from KJFK up north and suddenly somehow I got autogen constantly popping up in blocks in the distance... It's nothing like the first time I flew there when I couldn't see any popup at all. It's so obvious now that it's really utterly annoying. I remember someone posting he got similar problems after a reinstall of P3D but I can't find that post and I'm not entirely sure. What I am sure of is that after the roller coaster ride during the last few weeks, this is one ride too many. I think it's time to leave P3D alone for a while and go play some games or watch some movies...