Sign in to follow this  

Well, at least one dev is waking up... (or is it retreating...?)

X-Plane went through this same growing pain as P3D will do. But anyways stuff that is only text files or textures would work fine in a 64 bit environment. But when it goes to simconnect or any program that would interface directly with the sim would need to be converted to 64 bit ( IE all the code that runs the complex tubeliners FMCs, displays and flight models)  

Now here's something bizarre;   Coolsky DC-9; heavy(ish) frame rate demand in FSX right?......... light as you like in P3D2.... it runs like a default aircraft in P3D2 for me!

Oh really? I was interested in that one. Does it install easily in P3D2? 

Oh really? I was interested in that one. Does it install easily in P3D2? 

The Coolsky DC-9 is the world's easiest P3D v2 install, if you've got the Estonian Migration Tool.  Just launch the EMT, run the installer and go fly.

Am just coming to this thread after spending the day out in the world - and also after a couple of days of struggles with the FTXG white box issue, P3D V2 volumetric fog performance, etc.  

I agree with much of what's been posted here.  I'll say this - although I've had more than my share of quarrels with ORBX, I'm not inclined to blame them for their issues or for today's post by JV. It's true that ORBX was enthusiastic about P3D V2 - but so was Flightbeam.  And then Aerosoft re-posted the Flightbeam video of the AXE at Flightbeam KIAD, the one with the moving shadows, and said something to the effect of, well, the AXE seems to work...  And one of the A2A developers posted some screenshots of their 172 in V2, calling attention to the cockpit shadows...  

So maybe a bunch of developers all lost their minds at once.  But how probable is that?  It seems equally possible, maybe even more likely, that LM made some significant changes very late in the process. I'd like to consider that possibility, anyway, before I start pointing fingers.  

Peee3DeeeVeee So what's wrong with FSX then?   :lol:        

I'm glad I'm a FSXer diehard.. :smile:

James (jaydor)

"Let me X-Plane where I fly in 2020"

Peee3DeeeVeee So what's wrong with FSX then?           

Nothing at all wrong with it.  I just sorta kinda like the idea of optimized code - you know, the kind that gets me 25 fps over NYC as opposed to, say, 10.  But it's not an either/or.  

I'm glad I'm a FSXer diehard..

That's a perfectly good thing to be.  Enjoy!

Not a great deal (after a lot of work to get it working ok for me)  :O 

I'm glad I'm not ...  :lol: 

It's true that ORBX was enthusiastic about P3D V2

It really amazes me that Orbx seems to be SURPRISED

he doesn't say that but it sure feels like it.

but to me this remark does feel like a retreat

It seems to be that this whole thread is based on someone's feelings about what they think about what was said, and not about what was said.  This is not a good way to get through Fog.

I would be willing to bet the Orbx folk are just as enthusiastic as they were 3 days before P3D2 was released, when they excitedly released their videos and notes on their plans, when they had the beta in their hands, for months.  So maybe the excitement wears off when the work starts, but their plan didn't change from what I can tell, because they didn't tell us any.   What I did read of what they said was they will be converting their FSX scenery to incorporate P3D2's new features, e.g. shadows.  That it would take some time.   This is not new information.   LM also said they were going to do their best to make all the old stuff work, not they would make ALL the old stuff work.  

Lockheed Martin is working along with this community better than Microsoft worked with the desktop loyalists in Windows 8.   Keep in mind, LM programs on Microsoft's platform, a moving target, along with the other targets from NVidia and now AMD.   Do you want them to unlock from those targets?  When SLI is enabled I'll be able to put 2 more GTX 780's in my case, tweak and twerk a few nights, and ... well I don't know, but my damn pre-Crysis era addons better work flawlessly.

I personally am VERY happy that Lockheed Martin finally made enough changes to FSX to make it their own.  I quit using FSX, and flight simming altogether, because all I saw was dead-ends.  Been waiting two years ENTHUSIASTICALLY for LM to make this step, and I'm damn happy happy HAPPY.  I can't believe how sweet that Fog is, and I'll finally get my side screens to look right, because they listened to US and added our hearts desires in there.  They took as many of our FS dreams along with their journey forward as they could.  And how ungrateful are you?  Where would we be.

And Really.  Do you want the people that launched Windows 8 to make your Flight Simulator, or the people that launched the F-22 Raptor?  The P-38 before some of your parents were even born?  Really.

I hate bashing.  We're all on the same team here.

Nothing for me to explain per say. I just think the challenges that face the dev community today are far less intensive than that would be for a 64bit codebase release. So, I am content that at the least there is this middle ground of "compatibility" where, though it be somewhat thorny, it works and pushes the envelope even! So, this is all a great promise for what's to come when true compatibility is achieved.

Please explain to us what exactly 64 bit will do for us and how it works?

It seems to be that this whole thread is based on someone's feelings about what they think about what was said, and not about what was said.  

So you said.  And then you said...

I would be willing to bet the Orbx folk are just as enthusiastic as they were 3 days before P3D2 was released

So you're basically doing the same thing you accuse other people of.  You don't know Orbx' state of mind.  So what you say is your conjecture and that's all.

Oh, and by the way, go back and read my post.  I wasn't bashing Orbx.  I was saying their enthusiasm was understandable and that breakdowns, if any, might have happened elsewhere.  So that's, like, the opposite of bashing.

For what it's worth, I agree with your overall take that it's good to have LM doing what it's doing and listening to the community.

So.  Onward.  Eh?

Please explain to us what exactly 64 bit will do for us and how it works?

The main benefit to 64bit code is access to 64bits worth of memory addresses.  32bits only allows a programmer to list around 4,000,000,000 memory places.  This is because with 32 ones or zeros you can count up to that number.  Each place holds a byte, or 8 ones or zeros.  So 4Billion bytes is 4GB, the limit in memory that any 32bit program can use.

64bit give, well, a HECK of alot more memory.   Currently 64bit windows will support 192GB of memory, more memory than anyone will ever need.  This means that a 64bit P3D will not run out of memory if you're using current scenery.  Of course software gets needier and greedier every year.  Theoretically they can use up to 16 exabytes,  or 16000000000000000000, or 1 Billion Gigabytes.   WAY more than anyone will ever need (for real this time).  It was once said that the total number of data in our brains was 150TB.

Like in : "Now that I've bought P3Dv2 head over heels ... what am I supposed to do with it?"

Fully agree, all my addons work ... in FSX!!!   :lol:

Hey, let's all head over to the PMDG forum or FS9 forum or Xplane forum and have a good laugh there huh? School kids!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk