Sign in to follow this  
busdriver

For my Type of Flying - What Addons Should I Buy

Folks,

Just got FSX freshly installed, and tuned using Nick N's guide. I'm ready to begin thinking about what scenery addons and utilities I should consider. I plan to fly mostly the PMDG 777 along with the 737NGX, and will most likely also buy the Airbus X as well.

Most of my flying will be North America and Europe. I do already own a copy of FS Global Ultimate, but have not installed it yet. I live on the east coast, so airports I will fly from include Boston, New York (JFK, LGA, EWR) as well as Philly. I see myself flying to the west coast a lot, plus the UK, France, Germany. Both my Windows 7 drive and my FSX drive are on SSDs. My specs are as follows:

Windows 7 64bit - SSD

Dedicated FSX drive - SSD

Core i7 3770K overclocked to 4.6Ghz

8 GB RAM

GeForce GTX 670

Any advice on what scenery, airports, etc to consider??

Thanks in advance, I'm grateful for the advice!

Folks,

Just got FSX freshly installed, and tuned using Nick N's guide. I'm ready to begin thinking about what scenery addons and utilities I should consider. I plan to fly mostly the PMDG 777 along with the 737NGX, and will most likely also buy the Airbus X as well.

Most of my flying will be North America and Europe. I do already own a copy of FS Global Ultimate, but have not installed it yet. I live on the east coast, so airports I will fly from include Boston, New York (JFK, LGA, EWR) as well as Philly. I see myself flying to the west coast a lot, plus the UK, France, Germany. Both my Windows 7 drive and my FSX drive are on SSDs. My specs are as follows:

Windows 7 64bit - SSD

Dedicated FSX drive - SSD

Core i7 3770K overclocked to 4.6Ghz

8 GB RAM

GeForce GTX 670

Any advice on what scenery, airports, etc to consider??

Thanks in advance, I'm grateful for the advice!

Some of the most reputable stuff for what you've asked for:

Boston: FlyTampa Boston http://www.flytampa.org/order.html

JFK, LAX, LAS: FSDreamteam.com

KLGA: Imaginesim

KSFO: Flightbeam

KPHL: Sunskyjet.com (freeware)

UK Airports: UK2000.com

Other European airports: aerosoft.com, FranceVFR, plus many others

Also consider FTX Global for enhanced ground textures and night light covering the whole globe, or check out Ground Environment X (for that you buy regions/comtinents separately)

I agree with metalmike, and I'd extend the list: Everything FlyTampa did is great, be it the famous Kai Tak (although, of course that airport has been closed years ago), St Martin or Dubai. Maybe their airports are not your first choice, but they sure are an exellent enhancement. Besieds, there are two European airports by FlyTampa: Vienna and Athens.

For Europe, especially for long haul planes, there's probably no way around Aerosoft. They have really good stuff, but beware: some of their releases (particularly older ones, and also particularly members of the "MegaAirport" series can be quite taxing) - so you might consider reading some reviews and opinions on their airports before "pulling the trigger"

Thanks guys! Are any of the photo realistic things worth it? I see MegaScenery has a version 2.0 product that covers a lot of my flying area in the US.

I think MSE 2.0 is absolutely awesome.  It is more realistic than Autogen or any landclass product.  When flying a large airliner and looking out the window you are looking at what is actually down there.  They are not too expensive either and are on sale most of the time.  Not good though if you are in the middle of Iowa at an airport.  Everything looks flat.  But, in Seattle, you'll see the surrounding mountains while on the tarmac.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10