Sign in to follow this  
BleedAir

Skymaxx Pro is driving me crazy :(

I re-installed Joan's python weather injector and it runs well with SkyMaxx Pro on my PC now. I've set it to download real weather and set Metar to kick in @ FL010 (you type 10 in the option box).

In SkyMaxx I have conservative settings and overcast set to Mid .. because Low gets those dark blue smears in the sky.

With these settings I've been very happy flying in my locality (Queensland, Australia) and it's pretty much matched weather observations from the Australian bureau of meteorology  ...

Hey pryoski, would this be the same NOAA weather injector? I've been using this with SkyMAXX Pro for a while now as well but have the METAR kick in at FL050. Are there any benefits of having it as low as FL010? Issue that I observe is the sudden few second pause and interruption in the sim during changeover and when flying jets 1000ft is normally around the climb thrust/acceleration level so can't have any disturbances to my aircraft during that critical time.

Also, have you ever had a strange problem where the entire sky turns grey and sort of 'disappears'? As in no clouds or sky colour, just heavy blanket of grey. I read in another post that this might be related to the weather plugin.

Hi FlyBoyMikey (neighbour!!)

I rarely fly above FL100 .. small regional hops in a turboprop so the 10 suits me well :).

I do recall once I had what amounted to a white out (or grey out) but the real world was similar on that day and I broke through about 2000" agl. The visuals approaching 2000 agl was also pretty good as I was seeing occasional glimpses of the ground through whispy grey just like in real weather.

The big problem here is that weather in X-Plane is at least 2 generations before FSX. Those annoying cloud pop-in/out s all FSX users have long been complaining about are the standard in X-Plane, when you use METAR data and when you combine it with forecasts...

Sky Maxx Pro isn't still able to smooth transitions, and even when I set the cloud draw distance to max values, I can see clouds poping in and out here and then...

Then the same happens with winds, between METAR and NOAA plugin injected weather.

I believe I have read that LR might add new datarefs or even plugins to allow for a more detailled update of different weather variables, probably for 10.30, but I'm not sure this will actually happen :-/

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Hi FlyBoyMikey (neighbour!!)

I rarely fly above FL100 .. small regional hops in a turboprop so the 10 suits me well :).

I do recall once I had what amounted to a white out (or grey out) but the real world was similar on that day and I broke through about 2000" agl. The visuals approaching 2000 agl was also pretty good as I was seeing occasional glimpses of the ground through whispy grey just like in real weather.

That's right! You're in Toowoomba?

Might actually be better idea to set FL100 in my case since that is our transition altitude, FL050 would be better for Europe where I also tend to fly. I found the other night while on approach with the 757 that I didn't get accurate METAR data from the ATIS until I got below the FL050 transition so altimeters aren't always set correctly.

The grey-out happened once on approach to EPWA in Poland with NOAA plugin running, couldn't see the ground till I broke through about FL080.

I should really get a turboprop sometime. The Saab 340 looks really nice.

I re-installed Joan's python weather injector and it runs well with SkyMaxx Pro on my PC now. I've set it to download real weather and set Metar to kick in @ FL010 (you type 10 in the option box).

I had to disable NOAA plugin because of high wind issue at low altitude starting with 10.25.  Are you using 10.25?  It looks like if you do your setting the high wind problem is gone for you?

Thanks

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020