Sign in to follow this  
Mean Aerodynamic Chord

Using 1TB SSD for everything

So...

I went on Newegg and saw this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147251

My first reaction was:  :Hypnotized:  :Hypnotized:  :Hypnotized:  :Hypnotized:  I WANT ONE.

(But of course, I have no money)

But I started thinking, is it bad for you to store EVERTHING on a SSD? I.e., the SSD being your one and only drive? Does it make the life of the drive actually last less?

So...

I went on Newegg and saw this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147251

My first reaction was:  :Hypnotized:  :Hypnotized:  :Hypnotized:  :Hypnotized:  I WANT ONE.

(But of course, I have no money)

But I started thinking, is it bad for you to store EVERTHING on a SSD? I.e., the SSD being your one and only drive? Does it make the life of the drive actually last less?

Save yourself over $300 and buy the hard drive below. SSD's wont give you anymore FPS all they will do is allow the OS to boot faster (My 1TB HDD boots in about 20sec). and they allow the sim to load faster (I can be in a plane about 2 min after I click the P3d icon on my desktop) I think they are a waste of money as I could build a new i4770k rig for a few hundred more than that SSD costs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178326

4TD HDD $169

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Save yourself over $300 and buy the hard drive below. SSD's wont give you anymore FPS all they will do is allow the OS to boot faster (My 1TB HDD boots in about 20sec). and they allow the sim to load faster (I can be in a plane about 2 min after I click the P3d icon on my desktop) I think they are a waste of money as I could build a new i4770k rig for a few hundred more than that SSD costs.

4TD HDD $169

What do you use to backup a 4 TB drive?

What do you use to backup a 4 TB drive?

I only back up my financial docs and addons that I can't redownload everything else is pretty easy to reinstall.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

4TD HDD $169

I'm not thinking for it for FSX... Like the title says, for EVERYTHING. Including my Steam games, my pictures, my videos, etc.

It might be cheaper to use 2 500GB SSDs (or even 4 250GB SSDs) because FSX allows you to alias an addon scenery to another drive, and you can create hard links between drives for your other stuff.

for EVERYTHING

As P.T. Barnum was reputed to have said ' There's one born every ... '

As P.T. Barnum was reputed to have said ' There's one born every ... '

What?

It might be cheaper to use 2 500GB SSDs (or even 4 250GB SSDs) because FSX allows you to alias an addon scenery to another drive, and you can create hard links between drives for your other stuff.

How do I make Windows recognize only 1 total?

It depends on your budget and current setup.  If you have a low-end setup, or a small budget for a PC, then usually a huge SSD is the least cost-effective purchase/upgrade......

The SSD is good for:

1) speeding up your OS boot - mine went from almost 2 minutes to 15s

2) speeding up your FSX aircraft "pool" loading IF you have MANY (>1000 models) aircraft

3) it MAY help loading scenery if you have a LOT of scenery in 1 area (MAYBE) --- but you are more likely to hit a VAS OOM before the SSD makes a difference.

4) speeding up normal game loading times (STEAM games, etc.)

Make sure you purchase or upgrade to these 1st:

a) a fast CPU

b ) an overclockable CPU (and supporting motherboard, CPU fans/cooling, etc.)

c) if using P3D v2.0 a fast and high-memory GPU (Titan, GTX 780, etc.)

SSDs don't last as long as hard-drives so if you hold onto your drives for a while, HDD storage is more reliable.

If money is no object, and/or you already have a good rig and have enough cash, then a 1TB SSD is fun to have. (or 2, like I have :) ).  Just make sure to get a reliable SSD (i.e. Crucial m500, or Samsung, generally speaking).

As for is it bad to put EVERYTHING on it.......

The SSD probably has enough bandwidth to handle anything you throw at it......but it could be a bit faster if you split OS onto it's own boot SSD, and everything else onto an app SSD.  And a little more reliable (and cheaper storage/TB) if you put your data/downloads, etc. onto a large HDD.

For example, my setup:

C - OS boot SSD (Samsung 840 Pro)

D - FSX/P3D SSD (1TB Crucial m500)

E - photoscenery/FSX & P3D overflow SSD (1TB Crucial m500)

F - storage drive  (4TB Western Digital)

And a NAS for backups/offline storage.

This setup is massive overkill for most people/purposes.....but I have a HUGE FSX collection, and was willing to spend the $$$, so it works for me.

Thanks,

David

SSDs don't last as long as hard-drives so if you hold onto your drives for a while, HDD storage is more reliable.

If money is no object, and/or you already have a good rig and have enough cash, then a 1TB SSD is fun to have. (or 2, like I have :) ).  Just make sure to get a reliable SSD (i.e. Crucial m500, or Samsung, generally speaking).

As for is it bad to put EVERYTHING on it.......

The SSD probably has enough bandwidth to handle anything you throw at it......but it could be a bit faster if you split OS onto it's own boot SSD, and everything else onto an app SSD.  And a little more reliable (and cheaper storage/TB) if you put your data/downloads, etc. onto a large HDD.

For example, my setup:

C - OS boot SSD (Samsung 840 Pro)

D - FSX/P3D SSD (1TB Crucial m500)

E - photoscenery/FSX & P3D overflow SSD (1TB Crucial m500)

F - storage drive  (4TB Western Digital)

And a NAS for backups/offline storage.

This setup is massive overkill for most people/purposes.....but I have a HUGE FSX collection, and was willing to spend the $$$, so it works for me.

Thanks,

David

Have yours been reliable? Any problems you've had? 

With my FSX installed plus all of my other games, and my addons etc., I have about 45% of my 1TB hard drive being used. My current one is a Seagate Barracuda that I bought really quickly and inattentively because of it's price only.... I mean, it's an OK drive. It's just a bit slow, and I even get a Windows message about it (See one of my older threads). My computer takes about 3 minutes to FULLY boot (I.e., all my startup programs up and running and the computer is at a usable state, as in, you can actually use it).

No, its not bad at all, it could be quite convenient. I'd still use regular HDD to store all my music, videos and photos, purely to save money and not use valuable SSD space for that.

I am so surprised of how many that are scared that the SSD won't last. Yes, it a well known fact that SSDs have a limited number of writes and people seems to think they gonna exhaust that. How much do people think they write to their disks? It's simply not an issue when used in a desktop computer. It is in write intensive servers you have to care.

But, drives die due to other causes. SSDs have a tendency to get bricked by firmware issues, that didn't happen to HDDs. HDDs however die for mechanical reasons. That's why you should always use backup regardless if you use HDD or SSD.

Don't be scared to get an SSD for everything.

The Samsung Pro uses MLC, with an expected lifespan of 60 years. The Samsung Evo with TLC 19 years.

Who still has the same hard drive after 19 years?

Lifespan isn't a consideration. Other causes as Saab 340 said are a consideration, but not to the degree that you should be concerned.

Actually, I have a friend who keeps his drives for almost 10 years.  He just keeps adding them into his large computer case.

Regarding SSD:

If you are a typical user (i.e.your storage usage is typical and you keep your drive for up to 5 years) -  no problem whatsoever.

If you are an atypical user (i.e. your storage usage is typical and you keep your drive for 10+ years (yeah, crazy) - no problem whatsoever.

If you are an atypical user (i.e. you do EXTENSIVE video editing/recording, generate large database/cache files) and keep your drive for 7-10+ years - there is a good chance you will have a problem.

Consumer SSD drives (i.e. using MLC memory) typically can handle 20+GB of writes per day for up to 5 years (or something along those lines).  That's way more than a TYPICAL user would do.

If you are an extreme power-user, it probably isn't a problem, but you may want to check how much writing you do.

Bottom line - 99% of users won't have a problem.  Just trying to be precise so the other 1% (0.1%?) don't get problems.

Alright thanks everyone for the informative posts. I guess once the price of these goes down, we will all have a 1TB SSD. 

(But I'm still really craving this one.... Discounts, anyone?) 

Actually I've got another question. What about SSHDs? Are they any good?

i.e. something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178380&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL121313&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL121313-_-EMC-121313-Index-_-InternalHardDrives-_-22178380-L0B

It's cheaper, also.

Edited by linux731

For discounts, you can obsessively watch the HardForum.com hardware sales forum.  The cheapest the 960GB Crucial m500 SSD has been is $440 from Amazon.com, and B&H Photo 2 weeks back.  Prices are back up to $500 now though.

Sorry, I can't comment on SSHDs (aka Hybrid HDDs) - haven't tried them.  I'm sure there's some good reviews of them somewhere reliable like Anandtech.com, SSDReview.com, or StorageReview.com.

I checked the reviews out when I was doing my new computer build 6 months ago, but I wanted the fastest possible storage with money being (nearly) no object - so didn't get one.

Something similar can be achieved using Intel's Rapid Storage Technology using a separate 64GB SSD as a cache drive, and a hard drive of your choosing.  You may want to check that option out too for a bit more flexibility in choosing an HDD drive size and brand (or even your existing HDD).