Sign in to follow this  
AviatorMan

Problem with ORBX FTX Ireland in P3Dv2

I previously posted this with a misleading title (unintentional), and now I know more of the problem and wish to learn if anyone else has it.  Have now installed the new FTX Ireland in both FSX and P3Dv2.  Seems to work perfectly well in FSX, but there is a problem in my P3Dv2 install that so far ORBX has not been able to get to the bottom of.  The problem is the graphic rendering of the trees:  they look like rectangular modern buildings rather than trees.  Evidently Ireland has a lot of trees, because these boxy building-like objects are everywhere!  Have re-installed twice and still the problem persists.  And everything is beautiful and works well in FSX.  Reminds me of a thread elsewhere here on AVSIM where it is noted that some of add-on developers may have under-estimated the differences between FSX and P3Dv2.

Anyone else having problems with FTX Ireland in P3Dv2?

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

Nope - no issues with the trees here (but I don't have it installed in FSX). Wonder if that has anything to do with it...

Edit - just had this problem after mucking about with Nvidia inspector. The "buildings" remained around Dublin even after I restored the Inspector settings to default.

I was able to fix it by loading up another area in Ireland (Cork), then switching back to Dublin in the Scenario Setup. Trees were back to normal from then on.

After some trial and error, finally changed TEXTURE RESOLUTION setting on the GRAPHICS page (not the SCENERY page) solved the problem.  It was set at VERY HIGH, changed it to ULTRA - this fixed it.  Then while still in the flight, was able to go back to SETTINGS and set this parameter to lower settings, and it still worked.

Don't know if this is the way it should be, but finally solved the problem.

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

This is a known bug with Orbx trees in P3D 2.0, It also happens with FTX Global. The only known workaround is to change the texture resolution, as you already discovered: that will solve the problem immediately. After that you can immediately change back to your preferred resolution. It doesn't matter to which resolution you set it, as long as you change it. Again, this is a workaround and Orbx needs to fix this problem together with LM.

I am not using any FTX products and Ive seen this happen.

When I start P3dv2 and go to the default flight (NAS). everything is fine. Then change to another airport, its still fine. but as soon as I then change the aircraft (doesnt matter which one), trees turn into square textures and they seem to be building textures.

My work around for now, is to change the aircraft first and then change the location and it works fine.  Very strange.

Rob

Well try to deselect "ORBX tree" in FTX Center and see what happens. If you think the default trees are just too bad for your eyes, try Zinertek Natural Tree Environment X.

And if you still have the problem, try to change the texture resolution in the display settings until it loads up the right trees. After that you can change it back to the original resolution and go flying. But remember that you have to do it every time you start it up,