Sign in to follow this  

Activations: how many and how long to reset the counter?

Anyone here knows how many activations you get with a Pro license and how long it usually takes to reset the counter when you've used them all up (like I just did)? And is LM 'open' during the weekend to take care of this or do I have to wait until at least monday?

Sound like you have the same problem I had with V1. That's why I haven't bothered with v2. Needs to be far more stable and reliable before I splash out again. Quite happy to wait until v3 or 4 if needs be. Never fancied Beta testing for corporate conglomerates. Anyway, hope you are back up & running soon Jeroen.

Arnie....if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Anyone here knows how many activations you get with a Pro license and how long it usually takes to reset the counter when you've used them all up (like I just did)? And is LM 'open' during the weekend to take care of this or do I have to wait until at least monday?

Wouldn't this be a good question at the LM forum?

Spirit

Never fancied Beta testing for corporate conglomerates.

Yes I completely agree.

I'd much rather let LM build the sim without any outside input whatsoever, and then just accept whatever they've decided to do as the way it should be. My busy schedule certainly prevents me from putting any time and effort into any of the things I care about, and I would much rather just have all of those decisions and choices made for me.

Jeroen,

I have done this once already myself  :lol:

It was not a weekend though so I can't say if you will get a response today, but mine came back within a few hours.

Regards,

Brian Doney

I uninstalled and reinstalled Prepar3D 1.4 countless times without ever having to have my license reactivated.. As long as you properly uninstall it you shouldn't ever run into an activation issue and it will reactivate fine every time. It's only when you change your OS is when you need your activation reset and a reason why. Usually one working day it takes.. I had to do it once when I did a format last year.

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

It's only when you change your OS is when you need your activation reset and a reason why.

Aaaaaaah, that must be it. I reinstalled Windows 7 on another SSD. So either the reinstall of W7 alone or the fact that I reinstalled it on another SSD must have caused this activation message. I didn't mention I did this in my mail to them but I will wait for their reply first.

Wouldn't this be a good question at the LM forum?

Well, it would be if I could reach that forum. Which is impossible 9 out of 10 times. They must have a very bad server. Besides, you could post this in every topic on this subforum and then close the forum altogether... Nothing bad with asking others for their experience imho.

Very dissapointed with an activation limit being present, especially with a software full of bugs. Good to know, because LM can forget any help from me reporting bugs after this. We all know what problems addons can cause, and sometimes a clean reinstall is the only way to get rid of all the files addons have left behind or altered.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

and sometimes a clean reinstall is the only way to get rid of all the files addons have left behind or altered.

Which was exactly the reason why I completely reinstalled everything. The fact that I installed the OS on another SSD however had nothing to do with this. Anyway, so because I was in fact beta testing something I now can't beta test anymore LOL Then again, I do understand the need for activations and so on, sad as it may be...

I had to ask for a reset on day 2, since I installed / uninstalled 2-3 times on day #1 trying to fix the 75C weather bug - noone else was reporting it, and everywhere I asked if others were getting it I had no response at first, so I assumed my simconnect was corrupt. In the end, I totally borked both my p3d and fsx installs because I had simconnect missing, but thinking it was installed, so had to reinstall windows, and bam, 'unable to activate'

They responded fairly quickly, but I got quite a chiding email from them.

They *say* that it should detect same machine reinstalls as being the same machine, and not count against them, but if that's the case, there is an activation limit of '1', which is a bit insane IMO.

It's the first thing that really disappointed me (the second being some a/c that won't work that I'd love to use in p3d as well as fsx).

The only time you have to reactivate is if you do a wipe.

I personally have always found any and all support from LM to be professional, polite and courteous.

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

I agree, they were for the most part respectful.

I think it might have been prudent to relax the activation limit for the first week or two, but...not really a big deal.

Regards,

Brian Doney

I was going to post this yesterday...

After the initial install of P3D I made another folder, went into the main P3D folder, hit Ctrl-A and copied everything over to the new folder. Other than the 17.6gb of space that it takes (that new folder could be zipped up to take about 10 or 11gb of space), should I need to go back to a "virgin" P3D all I need to do is a copy and paste to the main P3D folder.

Most everyone can find the DLL.xml, EXE.xml, Standard.xml, Prepar3D.cfg and Scenery.cfg files, either by knowledge or by asking here or at other forums. So why go through the trials and tribulations of an uninstall/reinstall?

The only time you have to reactivate is if you do a wipe.

I personally have always found any and all support from LM to be professional, polite and courteous.

Their customer service is disgustingly (sarcasm) good.. Back when I requested a refund it was on a Friday  and fully expected a confirmation sometime Monday or Tuesday. Nope.. I got a very cordial email on SATURDAY confirming my refund is now processed.. Who refunds on Saturdays??? LM does! :)  

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Just received a mail from LM that my license has been revalidated! Which imho is pretty quick taking into account that I mailed them on Sunday and the time zone they are in! 

Interesting bit: they also said that "if you uninstall before making any computer software or hardware changes, it should remember your activation and automatically revalidate". Good thing to now: I didn't uninstall P3D 2.0 before I reinstalled the OS so that's why I couldn't activate P3D anymore. Something to remember (because I reinstall the OS quite often)!

Apparently there isn't a counter that keeps track of how often you have installed P3D but it simply registers if P3D is still installed or not. Since I didn't uninstall P3D, the servers apparently presumed P3D was still installed on the OS I deleted.

So make sure you uninstall P3D before you do something drastic with your computer!

And btw when you uninstall using Window's Remove programs option, I think it's a good idea to also run the P3D installer after that because I remember uninstalling using the Window-option and when I wanted to reinstall P3D the installer told me I could repair or uninstall still…! Only after uninstalling P3D with that option, I was able to reinstall it. 

So I think you can say: make sure you uninstall P3D using the P3D installer before you do something drastic with your computer! I think only that method will revalidate the activation automatically.