Sign in to follow this  

Activations: how many and how long to reset the counter?

Just received a mail from LM that my license has been revalidated! Which imho is pretty quick taking into account that I mailed them on Sunday and the time zone they are in! 

Interesting bit: they also said that "if you uninstall before making any computer software or hardware changes, it should remember your activation and automatically revalidate". Good thing to now: I didn't uninstall P3D 2.0 before I reinstalled the OS so that's why I couldn't activate P3D anymore. Something to remember (because I reinstall the OS quite often)!

Apparently there isn't a counter that keeps track of how often you have installed P3D but it simply registers if P3D is still installed or not. Since I didn't uninstall P3D, the servers apparently presumed P3D was still installed on the OS I deleted.

So make sure you uninstall P3D before you do something drastic with your computer!

And btw when you uninstall using Window's Remove programs option, I think it's a good idea to also run the P3D installer after that because I remember uninstalling using the Window-option and when I wanted to reinstall P3D the installer told me I could repair or uninstall still…! Only after uninstalling P3D with that option, I was able to reinstall it. 

So I think you can say: make sure you uninstall P3D using the P3D installer before you do something drastic with your computer! I think only that method will revalidate the activation automatically.

Just wanted to answer the same. I went from Win8.1 to Win7 and had to ask for a reactivation which needed only 12 hours (very quick!) Maybe when I change back to win 81 I can use my Image of both Win81 and P3Dv2. Otherwise, as Jeroen says, I will be sure to uninstall P3Dv2 before major changes ...

Harry

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

So my idea to ask at the LM forum wasn't so bad, wasn't it?

Spirit

Well, it would be if I could reach that forum. Which is impossible 9 out of 10 times.

Interesting bit: they also said that "if you uninstall before making any computer software or hardware changes, it should remember your activation and automatically revalidate".

This is very much true - I've already done far too many P3D install, uninstall, reinstall, OS wipe, install, uninstall, reinstall sequences to be considered mentally competent - Win7, Win 8, Win 8.1, with FSX, without FSX...  Each time, P3D activated just fine.

Just be certain to uninstall P3D before taking any drastic action, and you'll be just fine.

(I recommend "testing" your uninstallation by running the installer again after you've removed the software - if it immediately tries to install, you're good to go. Just cancel. If the uninstall didn't go perfectly, it may ask you to either repair or uninstall your software - select the uninstall again, and in a few moments all will be well.)

My last request took one day, very helpful and courteous.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

This should be automated like any other reputable company...  I think it is a bit pathetic that since I did not uninstall P3D and wiped my drive, I now have to wait "up to" 2 business days to be able to use a piece of software I paid good money for.

Get with the program LM...

This should be automated like any other reputable company...  I think it is a bit pathetic that since I did not uninstall P3D and wiped my drive, I now have to wait "up to" 2 business days to be able to use a piece of software I paid good money for.

Get with the program LM...

You sound upset.. How dare you have to do the exact opposite of what you had to do install and activate it to un-activate it right?    :rolleyes:

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

You sound upset.. How dare you have to do the exact opposite of what you had to do install and activate it to un-activate it right?    :rolleyes:

So basically if you have a hard drive crash or cannot boot into your OS like the issue I had, you will need to wait up to 2 days to access the sim again?  Seems a bit ridiculous don't you think?  :rolleyes:

So basically if you have a hard drive crash or cannot boot into your OS like the issue I had, you will need to wait up to 2 days to access the sim again?  Seems a bit ridiculous don't you think?  :rolleyes:

So, what would you suggest that they do? There is a method in place to "automate" the license activation/deactivation. However, in the case of an event such as you've encountered, how would L-M automatically detect that?

Perhaps L-M could create some widget at their website that would allow the customer to auto-reset their license registration, but then how could they "police" such a feature to prevent abuse?

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Any piece of software will get cracked. Online activation is nothing more than an annoyance for honest paying customers.

It is however good to know that the activation limit isn't absolute.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

So, what would you suggest that they do? There is a method in place to "automate" the license activation/deactivation. However, in the case of an event such as you've encountered, how would L-M automatically detect that?

Perhaps L-M could create some widget at their website that would allow the customer to auto-reset their license registration, but then how could they "police" such a feature to prevent abuse?

Whatever Windows does seems to work...  

Also, my Solidworks program has no problem refreshing my license after I do a fresh boot.  

just saying...