Sign in to follow this  
Guest BeaverDriver

Repainting Question

Guest BeaverDriver

Just a quickie here. I'm trying to put a new tail number in the 777 (PMDG_777_VC_NNumber...), but can't seem to figure out what it needs. I retype the number on the templace (select the text layer and change it), then make the Background layer above it visible, and then save it as a .dds file. However, while I get the background showing up just as it does in the default airplane, there are no numbers there. Can someone who has used the paint kit clue me in please?

Thanks much!

Glenn

Guest BeaverDriver

OK, I think I didn't explain myself too well. Here's a screen shot of what I get. Note the lack of any lettering (follow arrow).

IDPlate1.jpg

Thanks for any help :).

Guest JustanotherPilot

Merge altered layers, flatten, then save as DXT5 with Imagetool (no need to flip with this and for FSX only).

They are right, the actual number is the Alpha channel. The "Red" area wont show, the Clear" area will (in photoshop)

Guest BeaverDriver

OK, so I need to edit the number in the actual Alpha channel rather than the layer marked under the Alpha channel folder? I'm rather confused here. Maybe someone could give me step-by-steps as to what actually gets done here? Thanks!

Glenn

Yes Glenn, the Alpha Channel is what actually controls the VC Number. I will have a look at step by step for you

It's very simple: You cannot type text in alpha channel, so they have made one normal text layer as reference. First type your registration there > Select all letters > go to channel card and select alpha channel to be visible only > you will notice that whole image is black, but selection is still active > use erase tool or del button on keyboard to delete everything in selection.

Guest BeaverDriver

OK, thanks very much. I'll give this a try tonight. Do you leave the black layer with the text in the "Layers" panel (under the "Alpha" folder) visible or no?

Thanks again!

Glenn

Guest BeaverDriver

OK, I gave it a shot. Using CS6, you can't use the "Delete" key or eraser on an Alpha channel. What have I got wrong here?

Step 1: Enter the details and save as a flipped DDS file.

Step 2: Using the PSD File again, save the same thing as a bmp file (For the alpha layer)

Step 3: Open the dds file in DXTBMP.

Step 4: Go to the Alpha drop down menu and select import alpha layer

Step 5: Select the bmp file you just saved.

Step 6: In the alpha drop down menu choose flip alpha.

Step 7: Save as a DDS file (DXT 5)

Guest BeaverDriver

THANK YOU NGX12!! I'll do that tonight first thing when I get home. Really appreciate the info!

Glenn