Sign in to follow this  
mslim

grouping scenery objects into one bgl library

I have a number of scenery objects in bgl format. I would like to group them into one library in blg format.  What is the process and program I can use to achieve this? 

Thanks.

Slim

I'm guessing you mean taking objects from different libraries and putting them in one library. First you need to decompile the original bgls and extract the mdls (individual objects) using a program like BGL2XML. You can then use LibraryCreatorXML to compile the mdls you want into a new library. Of course you'll also need the textures that go with those mdls.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of using a single bgl library vs using the objects in their own bgl files?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of using a single bgl library vs using the objects in their own bgl files?

It is generally better to have them in libraries and not as single objects.  However if you re-package objects then you run the risk of either having the same object with the same GUID (reference that FS uses) in two different places or the same object in two different places with different references. 

When you are using Airport Designer your list of libraries becomes too long and unwieldy in the drop-down access list.  Better to have them grouped in some sort of organized format.

Slim

I'm guessing you mean taking objects from different libraries and putting them in one library. First you need to decompile the original bgls and extract the mdls (individual objects) using a program like BGL2XML. You can then use LibraryCreatorXML to compile the mdls you want into a new library. Of course you'll also need the textures that go with those mdls.

Ok Thanks everybody.  I'm halfway there. 

I downloaded BGL2XML and decompiled the original bgl's into xml and txt's.  When I tried to use LibraryCreatorXML, I kept getting "Please use a valid filename" error window when I tried to Save Library.  The path was: C:\Documents and Settings\username\Desktop\R_Objects.bgl

Am I missing something here?

Slim

I downloaded BGL2XML and decompiled the original bgl's into xml and txt's.

What about mdls? Those are the objects themselves, which is what youwant. Did you check the "Save Models" box in BGL2XML? 

When I tried to use LibraryCreatorXML, I kept getting "Please use a valid filename" error window when I tried to Save Library.  The path was: C:\Documents and Settings\username\Desktop\R_Objects.bgl

Am I missing something here?

When you save a library you need to name two files, an xml file and a bgl file. Also, do you have bglcomp.exe installed on your system? If so you need to tell LibraryCreatorXML where to find it. If you don't have it, you need to install it. Here's the link for it...

http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/9/3/b930da2a-b3bf-40dc-b830-b1da916eb9e2/fs2004_sdk_bglcomp2_setup.exe

What about mdls? Those are the objects themselves, which is what youwant. Did you check the "Save Models" box in BGL2XML?

Yes I did check "Save Models".  I do have all the bgl's decompiled into mdl's.  I mistakenly referred to them as "xml's" in the previous post.  My path to the SDK bglcomp.exe is correct.

Thank you Sidney and Scruffy Duck for your help.  Also Thank You Sidney for your many libraries and Scruffy for the ADE.  Both of which are invaluable to me.

Slim

Thanks, Slim...I love it when people tell me they're enjoying something I made. I'm glad I can give something back to the community.

And don't forget...scenery design is as addicting as crack, but cheaper. At least I think it is.  :lol:

Cheaper yes...  but time consuming.  Tweak then look then tweak some more.  Sometimes my wife gets jealous.

Slim