Sign in to follow this  
Charlie Felix

Moving PMDG Forum

Let me start by saying that I really appreciate all that Tom and his staff at AVISM have done to support and advance flight simulation.  We would not be where we are today without their hard work and dedication.  Keeping that in mind, I would ask that PMDG staff consider either moving their forum or host it themselves. I have spent a good deal of time looking at the "waiting for forum.avsim.net " status message and all to often ending up with the wonderful "Service Unavailable" screen.  I have seen a lot of posts about this problem on their forum and AVISIM's typical answer is that they were probably just doing some work on the site. But this has not been a occasional situation. Of the larger websites that I frequent, Avsim is always the slowest to load and navigate.   

I know that hosting and administering an extensive site like AVSIM.net is a huge responsibility and often a frustrating endeavor.  I again thank Tom and his team for their hard work and perseverance.  However I'm afraid that the site's poor performance might eventually reflect badly on PMDG.

PS. I hit a "Service Unavailable" screen while trying to post this.

I was surprised that loading times did not get faster after the 777 hype ended, but I guess that some thing else is the culprit. It is nice having PMDG and avsim be on the same site, so that it is easy to go from one forum to another. 

there are definitely issues with the forum here often get the unavailable message and load times are very slow recently plus the fact that there has been a spate recently of multiple posts is no coincidence. I had a few myself and it was caused by the unavailable issue so you have no idea your post has been published hence the repeats.

kav

Remember that most posts here on AVSIM don't deal with genuine support issues; people come here and discuss and argue and make feature requests and ask release date questions because they are bored to death.

And using the PMDG ticket system is the fastest way to get their support.

I think there are a couple of reasons the site is getting the UA messages, 1. Avsim is constantly working to improve the site, 2. PMDG is working on multiple projects and everyone wants answers. Trust me when I say Robert and Tom are very good friends and go way back. I do not foresee (or want) PMDG going anywhere soon.

Thanks,

Ron

Look at all the multiple posts of the same topic by the original poster in the various forums. Another indication of the slowness. The poster does not get a response back in a reasonable amount time and they then start clicking the post button over and over again.

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com   :rolleyes:

While you have a point, the beauty of a forum for fielding your problems is that the solution get's published for all to read so that as time goes by, we have a knowledge base for all to draw from.

Just my thoughts,

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

While you have a point, the beauty of a forum for fielding your problems is that the solution get's published for all to read so that as time goes by, we have a knowledge base for all to draw from.

Just my thoughts,

Agreed.

And that knowledge base is even bigger in places like AVSIM, where official and unofficial product support forums are combined, together with more "generic" sections like the FSX/FS9/hardware forums.

One more reason for PMDG to keep their forums hosted by AVSIM.

(Just my thoughts. :P)