Sign in to follow this  
busdriver

Does FTX Global Replace or enhance Ultimate Terrain X?

Folks,

I'm looking at making my first few add-on purchases and curious if FTX Global is a replacement for the Ultimate Terrain X products or just an enhancement to them? Should I buy one, or both to get the best visuals?

Thanks for any advice!

No Global is not a replacement of UTX.  UTX is mostly vector scenery, ie coastlines, lakes, roads, creeks and rivers, hydrolines...however they do include some custom textures that can be turned on and off.

Global replaces the default texture sets with all new versions.  This is similar to GEX which also does the same thing.  GEX and Global are not compatible, only one can be running on your sim at a time as one replaces the other.

You should go to Flight1 website and read up on GEX, UTX and head over to Orbx and read up on Global.  A good understanding of the three is important to knowing what you might want to do with your sim.

Many users of Global textures are also using UTX which improves greatly the vector elements of you sim.

Global is soon going to be enhanced by its own version of vector elements which will then make UTX mostly unnecessary.

I would say you should buy UTX packages and Global but I don't have a full understanding of the new Orbx Vector and how much it will cost.  Perhaps do a UTX and Global Vector cost comparison to see which will give you what you are looking for.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

They compliment each other and work very well together. ORBX just released VECTOR which is a competitor to UTX. UTX is by region/country and VECTOR is the world. VECTOR is still cutting it's teeth and UTX is more mature. Waiting on patches for VECTOR before I take it too seriously.

UTX 3D lights are my preference over FTXG Vector Road Lights. But some prefer the Vector road lights but there is a hack to get them to work on UTX roads so I did not bother.

When you install FTXG and UTX together, disable lights in one and not the other is the idea. Again. I think leave lights enabled in UTX and don't enable VECTOR road lights. I think it looks more real.

Charles.

You shouldn't run Vector and UTX simultaneously.  They are both a vector map project.

Global and UTX work together.  Also, there are work arounds for the new Vector and UTX to work together also.  There are a lot of discussions on the work arounds on the Orbx forums.

Rod

Rod Beck

I have the same question!

From what I have read, UTX has some land class elements. I noticed when I (foolishly) uninstalled UTX that there were suddenly trees all over a dense urban area. Just my observation, but looks like I'm going to either disable Vector in the scenery library and re install UTX or just live with unrealistic cities environments and keep vector.

I've heard there is a hybrid way of doing things by disabling some of UTX's functionality and keeping the LC active. I may try this... 

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

UTX + FTX Global are quite amazing.  I tried GEX (I love Flight1's return policy!) but found FTX Global looked more representative.  UTX on it's own is a game changer but top it with FTX Global...and baby you got a stew going.

While I don't have Global I do have UTX, GEX and Orbx Regions.  UTX for non-Orbx regional areas adds much to the scenery detail.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

While I don't have Global I do have UTX, GEX and Orbx Regions.  UTX for non-Orbx regional areas adds much to the scenery detail.

I have FTX Global and several ORBX Regions (PNW, Central Rockies, Northern California).  I'm sure that UTX adds a lot to the non ORBX regions (I used to use GE and UT together in my FS2004 setup and they were great).  

I'm wanting to improve the roads, coastlines certain LC areas where I do a lot of my flying in central California (a non-ORBX region) and into northern California (an ORBX region) so I'm leaning to installing UTX into my setup (I know I will need to make some choice between the Orbx lights and UTX lights).   How will UTX and the ORBX Northern California region work together (since ORBX regions DO HAVE custom Vector and LC built into them)?????

Mike

How will UTX and the ORBX Northern California region work together (since ORBX regions DO HAVE custom Vector and LC built into them)?????

Hey Mike, I just have PNW (and FTX Global) and UTX NA and they jive just perfectly together.  I just make sure to have the orbx stuff at a higher priority in my scenery config...so when I fly around PNW it is orbx and when I leave the area it is using UTX stuff, no issues at all.

Hey Mike, I just have PNW (and FTX Global) and UTX NA and they jive just perfectly together.  I just make sure to have the orbx stuff at a higher priority in my scenery config...so when I fly around PNW it is orbx and when I leave the area it is using UTX stuff, no issues at all.

Thanks for the feedback.....

How do you have the lights chosen (what settings do you have in UTX and in Orbx Central)?  

Thanks for the feedback.....

How do you have the lights chosen (what settings do you have in UTX and in Orbx Central)?  

I think I just leave everything as default.  I don't really fly at night all that much so I can't say I've messed with it much at all.