Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Outerra Update: Biomes!

Just keeping up with all the various toys out there! Here is some of the latest from Outerra:

Version 0.8.0.4269

• biomes enabled in demo mode
  • terrain data download from cloud servers (US east and EU) in full mode¹
  • Y4M raw video capture + webm video converter, automatically launched upon exiting OT to convert captured raw videos²
  • adjusted ufo speed profile to handle high elevation better
  • sandbox camera movement sync with ufo
  • vertical movement of objects in builder scaled by the distance
  • fixed vehicle physics, separated & adjusted dampening of falling and emerging objects
  • extra damping on vehicle when wheels are underground
  • fixed directory selection in otx export
  • fixed ocean waves not moving, adjusted default ocean parameters, larger sun reflection, fixed boats rocking
  • fixed auto fullscreen when Rift is detected & enabled
  • fixed HUD horizon rendering (orientation), working now in Rift mode
  • distance & elevation HUD entries hidden when in vehicles
  • fixed laser range checking in stereoscopic mode
  • fixed material shaders transparency reflections etc
  • added ambient BRDF
  • fixed materials in OT packages c172, t813, mig29 (not finished but usable)

¹ Terrain data (elevation and biome) are now downloaded from faster servers, and the downloader selects the one with the minimum latency. Currently there are two servers, located in US East and in EU.

² We changed the built-in raw video capture from YOG to the better known Y4M format. These raw video files are slightly bigger, but can be open by several programs directly, for example VLC or Mplayer. However, you actually don't have to use the raw files at all - after you quit the application, a dialog box offering automatic conversion of previously captured videos will appear. It will convert raw video files into compressed Webm (http://www.webmproject.org/users/) format, suitable for direct upload to YouTube. Note that the input files (*.y4m, *.wav) will be deleted after a successful conversion.
If you want to use the raw files instead, just press cancel in the initial dialog.

screen_1387119252.jpg

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

What is a Biome

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

From the great God Wiki! :lol:

Biomes are climatically and geographically defined as contiguous areas with similar climatic conditions on the Earth, such as communities of plants, animals, and soil organisms, and are often referred to as ecosystems.

Some parts of the earth have more or less the same kind of abiotic and biotic factors spread over a large area, creating a typical ecosystem over that area. Such major ecosystems are termed as biomes.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Haven't played wiith Outerra in ages..  Gave it a go to see how the old gal is coming along. Looking good.. (I only use demo)... My biggest gripe with their engine still exists. I am not a fan  "face me" objects at all. They look tacky in my opinion..   

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Haven't played wiith Outerra in ages..  Gave it a go to see how the old gal is coming along. Looking good.. (I only use demo)... My biggest gripe with their engine still exists. I am not a fan  "face me" objects at all. They look tacky in my opinion..

The procedural tree generator has been on hold forever while they work on other things...

Like biomes and clouds and rivers and importing OSM............ :-)

Devons rig

I think this looks better than FSX, P3D and XP. I hope that on the not to distant future this could be our next main sim. P3D while improved in some aspects from FSX, still pretty much looks like a recycled version of FSX.

Until we break away from the FSX/P3D/ESP engine, I cant imagine it looking any better.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I've never tried the demo, but damn, that screen shot looks incredible. I hope some day we have a viable sim with the necessary addons that look like that and performs as well. I would probably fly a lot more low and slow g/a if it looked like that down low, rather than just in the confines of an addon airport.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Definitely has a long way to go and 5-10 years sounds about right..  The true test of the engine is once it is bulked out with all its intended features (which it isn't even close) and complex scenery built around the engine.. As it stands there is already popping issues and over use of fog to hide draw distance.  It's still young though.

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Looking great as usual, but things are progerssing sloooooooowly... I've paid my dues and bought the Anterworld "game". Hope they can turn this into something. I was very optimistic when SibWings converted some of their aircraft for Outerra, but it's been a year with little news as to this going somewhere.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Looking great as usual, but things are progerssing sloooooooowly... I've paid my dues and bought the Anterworld "game". Hope they can turn this into something. I was very optimistic when SibWings converted some of their aircraft for Outerra, but it's been a year with little news as to this going somewhere.

I think so to.

Purchased Antworld quite a while back and i am still visiting the OT forums from time to time and screenshots as the one above look - in my opinion - really amazing!

But as You and others have also pointed out correctly:

OT is far from finished, it progresses very, veeeeeery, veeeeeeeeeeeeery slowly and it is more than questionable if it will ever be finished!

Although i really hope that it will continue to evolve and progress further!

By keeping this in mind i am happy to raed about this update here!

Cheers, Christoph

Things are happening. Especially considering its just two guys, a team size that makes even LR look over-muscled!!!  :lol:

http://youtu.be/Xfo3uGPNLd0

Devons rig

Problem is, development on this is so painfully slow. If development really took off, then this could have huge huge potential.

These guys deserve a batallion of coders and 3D artists. It has such great potential, and it's downright hurtful that this hasn't been turned into a world simulator by now.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987!