Sign in to follow this  
iamlmc

P3D2 CPU and GPU workload!?!?

Hi!

I have decided, for the first time, to check the workload of my processors using the max settings possible without having OOM. And this was what I have found at the most demanding scenery I have installed (FSDream team KJFK V2):

(BTW the focus is on the P3D2 window)

1.jpg

I have read people having all CPU cores and threads at 100% and GPU’s at 99%. But not on my machine. If the readings are correct, my hardware can deliver much more to the simulation.

Anyone with similar readings?

My system specs are as follow:

9.jpg

Software:

Win 7 x 64 Ultimate fully updated (DX, C++, framework, etc.)

All drivers fully updated (including BIOS)

P3D2 Settings (not a single tweak):

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Add-ons installed (all latest versions):

Aerosoft Twin Otter Extended

FSDream Team KJFK, KLAX, KLAS, GSX

Flight Beam KSFO

Ezka P3D Beta

FSPS Sim Physics

A2A Accu-feel V2

Orbx FTX Global

Flytampa Martten Complete, Hong Kong

FE Migration Tool

FSUIPC

My Traffic 3D

GPU settings:

7.jpg

8.jpg

Regards,

AK

Best regards, Luís

SYSTEM (build date july, 2023): Case: Lian Li Lancool III  |  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z790-E Gaming WIFI  CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-13900K Processor @ 6.0 GHZ  |  RAM: 128 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB @ 4800 MHZ  |  MVMe 1: 4 TB Crucial T700 PCIe Gen 5 MVMe 2: 4TB WD Black SN850X PCIe Gen 4 Cooler: Corsair iCue H150i Elite LCD XT | PSU: Corsair HX1500i | GPU: Asus ROG STRIX Gaming 4090 OC | Microsoft Windows 11 x64 Pro

But, your frame rate was 7.5?  So, some maximums were being hit somewhere.

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

So....

...everything full tilt...

...except terrain LOD...

No offense actually intended here, but have you actually read any of the posts in this section of the forum ?

Your settings are absolutely insane. So much so that I don't think they could even be used as an accurate test scenario.

Wow.  :O

EDIT and 8xSSAA...lol...you may very well be maxing out VRAM bandwidth. That's one hell of a load to put on your VRAM.

Regards,

Brian Doney

I would suggest using the MSI Afterburner On Screen Display (OSD) feature to display both CPU, video RAM and GPU usage. You may have to install a plug-in such as HWInfo to see the CPU usage.

But, your frame rate was 7.5?  So, some maximums were being hit somewhere.

So....

...everything full tilt...

...except terrain LOD...

No offense actually intended here, but have you actually read any of the posts in this section of the forum ?

Your settings are absolutely insane. So much so that I don't think they could even be used as an accurate test scenario.

Wow.  :O

Precisely that's why workloads should have been at 100% or close to it. That was the point of the post... Something like P3D2 not taking full advantage of the hardware used. I mean 7.5 fps and using only 33% CPU and 47% GPU at the time of the screenshot?!?!

Do you really think I fly with those uber settings at all? OMG LOL

Regards.

Best regards, Luís

SYSTEM (build date july, 2023): Case: Lian Li Lancool III  |  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z790-E Gaming WIFI  CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-13900K Processor @ 6.0 GHZ  |  RAM: 128 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB @ 4800 MHZ  |  MVMe 1: 4 TB Crucial T700 PCIe Gen 5 MVMe 2: 4TB WD Black SN850X PCIe Gen 4 Cooler: Corsair iCue H150i Elite LCD XT | PSU: Corsair HX1500i | GPU: Asus ROG STRIX Gaming 4090 OC | Microsoft Windows 11 x64 Pro

If your 780 is starved for bandwidth it will choke to death just like it seems to be doing in those shots, and take the rest of the system with it.

The point is, that this is a useless test scenario, representative of nothing, as no currently existing hardware could run it.

Not one bit of useful information can come from testing at those settings, well, other than learning not to test at those settings.

Regards,

Brian Doney

If your 780 is starved for bandwidth it will choke to death just like it seems to be doing in those shots, and take the rest of the system with it.

The point is, that this is a useless test scenario, representative of nothing, as no currently existing hardware could run it.

Not one bit of useful information can come from testing at those settings, well, other than learning not to test at those settings.

I have cranked P3D2 to almost full max and I got readings of low CPU/GPU use and it doesn’t represent a thing... Ok I got it thanks. :yahoo:

Best regards, Luís

Do you understand what I mean when I say VRAM bandwidth starvation ? 

Lower your settings to 1/2-2/3 of what they are and I bet your GPU usage increases. 

That way you are testing it would seem that the GPU can't move data in and out of VRAM fast enough to keep up, resulting in stalled performance.

Whatever the bottleneck, it is nearly impossible to say with the info provided. and still isn't useful in any case.

Regards,

Brian Doney

I think its insane settings, Brian is right, I am unaware at the time that hardware get good results with your settings.

João Alfredo

It is impossible to please Greeks and Trojans

É impossivel agradar Gregos e Troianos

without having OOM.

What's the longest you've flown with those settings? 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Do you understand what I mean when I say VRAM bandwidth starvation ? 

Lower your settings to 1/2-2/3 of what they are and I bet your GPU usage increases. 

That way you are testing it would seem that the GPU can't move data in and out of VRAM fast enough to keep up, resulting in stalled performance.

Whatever the bottleneck, it is nearly impossible to say with the info provided. and still isn't useful in any case.

Brian I understood your pov. I will do some more tests without stressing the hardware that much.

But let me tell you that I found that with the exact same settings using default scenery I have all my CPU cores except core 0 to almost 100% and the GPU to 99%.

FPS will fluctuate from 15 to 27. Still useless for a flying scenario.

Using third party sceneries the CPU load is always below 50% and the GPU has a similar behavior. FPS’s always below 10.

Bottom line is that P3D2 is not handling right when third party scenarios are in use or that the add-ons are not being well ported to P3D2.

That should mean something?

What's the longest you've flown with those settings? 

Been messing with those settings for a bit (20 minutes + -) no OOM's.

Those settings aren't meant for flying, instead they were used to see how the hardware responded to P3D2 demands with such insane settings.

Regards.

Best regards, Luís

Hi,

Are you using the affinity mask entry in the config file?. I use one and I see a difference in CPU usage.

I use

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=62

I tried Hyper-threading ON (CMOS set to AUTO/ON as well), but didn't see any difference.

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=1364

For your setup it would be:

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=254

Hyper-threading ON (CMOS set to AUTO/ON as well)

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=21844

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

I'm not sure exactly what addons you are using, but if the point is that addons are not working 100%, well, we kinda already knew that.

Either way, a better way to test the impact of an addon is to not test in a situation that is so far over the top as you are.

The amount of strain you are putting on your system with those settings is way beyond what any current hardware can reasonably manage.

In any case, I'm not really sure how it is P3D2 to blame for addons that aren't working correctly at unrealistic settings. If you were testing at "normal" settings, and still finding serious performance issues with certain addons, that would be far more conclusive, and useful for determining what the real impact is. There certainly are some issues that need to be worked out, no doubt about that. Let's just try to keep the testing reasonable.

Regards,

Brian Doney

I noticed that you also have 109 processes going on. That seems insane on a Flight Sim computer? I really don't know if you can trust any of the info under that kind of stress. It is like putting a guy with two broken legs on a treadmill test to see how bad the breaks are?

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

My short take on this thread. Having played with the v2 for quite some time now, I can say the biggest CPU culprit on the v2 is the autogen and AI (planes, cars...). Having that on max will put a great strain on your CPU. There are others too, but this is the main thing.

Your GPU is sleeping because the CPU is being overloaded. Try shifting settings so that the GPU usage goes up and CPU down, that way you'll achieve more FPS. Also, try not saturating your VRAM. Use GPU-Z to measure (I don't see it in the Afterburner, nor do I use it).

Shivers9, there is absolutely no problem at having massive processes running under W7 or W8. I have also 90 on boot (and couple of more when running FSX), and see no difference to running 50. I stopped tweaking this a long time ago and never had ANY problems - the only problems that arise are the ones when I forgot which processes I turned off and question myself why some program isn't working. Only thing to be careful about are the resident programs like scanners or backup, those must be not scheduled. The process however doesn't bug windows.

Of course, having an SSD and lots of RAM helps in "huge-windows" scenarios.