Sign in to follow this  
ronnie.d

To be or not to be P3D V.2?

I can't help but wonder if there is a little regret within LM at opening this up to gamers?  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I know the once civil and constructive LM forum has changed over the past 18 months !

Brian, I have decided to upgrade my GPU….I am willing invest this time but I want some quality and performance out of it...any suggestions?

Brian, I have decided to upgrade my GPU….I am willing invest this time but I want some quality and performance out of it...any suggestions?

General rule of thumb, a good 6 or 7 series card with as much memory as.possible.

I have a friend who has the same cpu as me but got a GTX770 card wth 4Gb..where I get 40fps with smooth performance on medium sliders he gets 90fps with more detail.

The beauty of this sim is that it uses the better hardware in a more efficient (I didnt say perfect) way than the Microsoft series.

Sent from my Mobile thing

Thank you so much for being so helpful Will!!! Just a final question I have got an option between 780, 3 GB Super clocked  or 760, 4GB. Obviously one's almost double the price of the other but I want to see it as a long term investment.

When you said get as much memory as possible, do you mean 760 4GB would be better than 780, 3GB? I have heard 780 is way ahead and it's performance can only be compared with Titan.

Cheers,

Ronnie

Ronnie, you are right, the 780 is the way to go, the Ti model is even faster for a extra $100.00, up to you to decide if you'r welling to spend that much, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487003  they all come with 3GB, this is the card for P3D right now BUT what will P3D be in 6 > 12 months, will you need more GB?

The card to beat for P3D as far as speed/ GB is still the Titan.

The 760 is not a bad card but this card is already obsolete speed wise if you have P3D in mind, I'm not saying that a 760 would not word, it's just not up to P3D standard.

If you are staying with FSX any of these cards will do, my saying was always "There is no such thing as overkill when it come to PC's"

Hope this help.

Unfortunately Titan is double the price of 780 in the UK  :(

I know, even the Titan will be over run soon, there is more fun stuff coming next year.... :ph34r:

Got my first Titan last weekend second handed for 600 euro.

Now I am looking for the second One ( sli )

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Ronnie, I have played with P3D v1.4 on a good system but not top of the line system.  This guy had FSX all tweaked and it ran quite well

but at the same time he would get the occasional hiccup. He only had a ground texture replacement package installed plus some after market

aircraft. He added the ground texture package to P3D and the aircraft using the Migration Tool.

P3D v1.4 looked better and ran better with minimal tweaking. He was able to move all the sliders 1 spot farther to the right and P3D still

had higher frame rates than his FSX installation.

Now personally I will be waiting a couple of months before I buy P3D v2.0.   I'll wait for the dust to settle and hopefully Nvidia will update

their drivers for P3D v2.0.  LM has done all the work Microsoft should have done. I have no doubt once most of the bugs are  worked

out of P3D v2.0 it will become the simulator of choice for all of us.

Ken

The rule of thumb for Nvidia graphics cards is very simple.......don't get anything less than a "6" in the middle. In other words, "560/660/760" etc. Like Brian says, the 660 is a good deal more powerful than the 650, and that philosophy applies to all of the Nvidia range of cards.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

The rule of thumb for Nvidia graphics cards is very simple.......don't get anything less than a "6" in the middle. In other words, "560/660/760" etc. Like Brian says, the 660 is a good deal more powerful than the 650, and that philosophy applies to all of the Nvidia range of cards.

Good one. For P3D 2.0 though I wouldn't get anything that does NOT begin with a 7 followed by at least another 7. ^_^ Or if you like letters more, get something that begins with a T followed by itan. :rolleyes:

I know, even the Titan will be over run soon, there is more fun stuff coming next year.... :ph34r:

There is a really compelling argument to delay my transition to P3D even longer than I had originally planned.  Despite my eager desire to put FSX out to pasture, if it's ok for now, and P3Dv2 scales up to hardware as good as they are claiming, then it's making a lot of sense to me to delay, and see where we are 6 months from now, not only from the standpoints of bug fixes and addon compatibility, but also cost effective hardware choices available.

I wonder if Prepar3d V2.1 might be able to better utilize my Radeon 6990 dual GPU card, if I've understood right now it can't take much of advantage from dual GPU cards?

At least my new scenery seems to work well in Prepar3d although I got a bit worse FPS than in FSX but that was the same everywhere... 

There is a really compelling argument to delay my transition to P3D even longer than I had originally planned.  Despite my eager desire to put FSX out to pasture, if it's ok for now, and P3Dv2 scales up to hardware as good as they are claiming, then it's making a lot of sense to me to delay, and see where we are 6 months from now, not only from the standpoints of bug fixes and addon compatibility, but also cost effective hardware choices available.

Not only that but next year will be the DDR4 memory years....a new ball game, smaller die with 16GB per module..  eeeeeeeee

I have FSX, P3D v1.4 and 2.0 and 2.0 is definitely the future for simming but right now it's a "work in progress" and we'll have to wait until a update comes out to fully enjoy it.