Sign in to follow this  
geolog

Quiet and Graceful MSFS Build 2013Q4

Hi everybody, if i could ask for a really quick glance over what i've concocted for an MSFS-centric rig.

I've read all comments on here and on http://jetlinesystems.com/performance.php, went for the following spec.

Please take a look and let me know if any rookie mistakes or fatal flaws. I'm hoping to break the record in the ratio of the silence of the rig to its MSFS performance :-)

Total ~ $1,500 CPU Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core $199.99 CPU Cooler Zalman FX100 $73.99 Motherboard Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z87 ATX LGA1150 $177.86 Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 $82.99 Storage Sandisk Ultra Plus 64GB 2.5" SSD $64.99   Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM $84.97 Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB $337.98 Case NZXT H630 ATX Full Tower $149.99 Case Fan Noctua NF-S12A ULN 120mm $21.49 Power Supply Cooler Master 800W ATX12V / EPS12V $109.99 Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) $88.98 Monitor Asus VS247H-P 23.6" $149.98

You should really consider water cooling like the Corsair H100 series. Very cost effective and very efficient.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

You should really consider water cooling like the Corsair H100 series. Very cost effective and very efficient.

No not really, the D14 is quieter, much cheaper and cools better.

Water isn't always better.

The WD black is not what I associate with quietness. The Velociraptor is a lot quieter actually. A larger SSD for both OS and FSX is absolutely silent. Stick with the Haswell. It will offer you the best performance at reasonable temperatures. If you want silence I'd stick with an air cooler (D14 comes to mind if it fits) as all-in-one water coolers never go as quiet as air coolers at lighter load but some will be able to cool more at a very noisy high fan speed.

No not really, the D14 is quieter, much cheaper and cools better.

Water isn't always better.

I guess but I'm running H100i in push/pull setup on my 2700k at 48x and temps never go over into 60 degrees at full load, and the corsair SP fans I installed are pretty darned quiet. I'll never go air cooled again, but, to each his own.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Yep, the H100i is a nice cooler. But in terms of heat sink effiiciency relative to cost there are better choices.

There are many coolers that will "do the job" but if the purchaser wants to consider cost, heat sink eficiency and the impossibility of leaks, then the D14 or another top of the range air cooler is the right choice.

If money isn't a consideration and there's no concern about leaks, then the H110 is the wise man's choice.

Thanks all! I'm sold on the D14 for the fan.

Storage ... Would appreciate some input from folks running WD Velociraptor or WD Black. Reviews diverge dramatically -- some say WD V is much faster, some say not as much and it's much louder so don't bother. Anyone with experience in both WD Black and Velociraptor in MSFS context? Would appreciate input on speed and noise.

Thanks again

P.s.: bought half the parts already. Sticking with Haswell for noise reasons, may not overclock but TBD.

I had a WD Black. It's currently in my cupboard, not used. I found it very clicky, despite the fact it wasn't faulty. Some report noisy Blacks, some don't.

I'm wondering about WD Red's or enterprise drives for my next mechanical drive.

I don't worry about speed to be honest, I fiund the difference not that noticeable. Now an SSD on the other hand is a whole new ball game.

Would appreciate some input from folks running WD Velociraptor or WD Black. Reviews diverge dramatically -- some say WD V is much faster, some say not as much and it's much louder so don't bother. Anyone with experience in both WD Black and Velociraptor in MSFS context? Would appreciate input on speed and noise.

I have both in my rig and I've used both for FSX as well. The WD black is a lot noisier. The velociraptor is quite a bit faster to load flights in FSX but that's about it when it comes to notable difference. I've only used the WD black for a short while in FSX just as a test.

I've never used these drives for the OS but previous experience between 7200 and 10000rpm drives as boot drive is that the 10000rpm drive feels a lot faster. But the felt performance difference from a SSD is a lot bigger than the difference from a WD black. With the SSD I see subtle differences in flight as well.

So,

WD black=noisy

Velociraptor=more expensive, quieter and better performing

SSD=a lot more expensive, totally silent and a lot better performing

Pick your budget=)

Sorry to switch back to cooling, but this will be useful in that respect...

http://www.guru3d.co..._review,13.html

H100i 76 degrees
Kraken X60 70 degrees [Noisy higher RPM fans]
Corsair H110 72 degrees [Very quiet]
NH-D14 72 degrees [Very quiet]

Eliminating the fan variable...

What we almost never see is a comparison with "the same fans". What should concern us in the efficiency of the heat sink itself, without the fan variable.

When we do that, we truly see which are the best coolers. For example, if you look at the link below, you can see that when the same fans are used, rather than the NZXT high RPM noisy fans, that the Corsair H110 beats the X60 by 5 degrees.

https://docs.google....5GSFZNRmc#gid=0

...maybe upgrade the i5 to an i7?

And would an extra 2mb cache really make that much difference?

i see your point on i7 vs i5, but looked at these test results (http://jetlinesystems.com/performance.php, the CPU section) and see only small difference in MSFS performance. I see larger difference stemming from an SSD drive, so maybe that could be money better spent.

martin-w started a related topic on 4670k vs 4770k too (http://forum.avsim.net/topic/430539-4770k-or-4670k/).

wil likely roll w/ 4670k, unless many would advise otherwise.