Sign in to follow this  
styckx

Tessellation

I saw people talk about it, explain it, define it, and I've seen people maxing it out.

What  I've yet to see someone show exactly what it does in game. I always knew what it was as many games use it now a days..

Before and after Low Vs Ultra

WARNING - 2.31MB / 1904x1002 animated GIF

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7430/11397243743_c8b3031af7_o.gif

Enjoy!

• Upvote 2

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for. The difference is very noticeable and enhancement by Ultra to the terrain mesh looks very nice.

On my computer I hardly see any performance difference between low and ultra, so I guess that I'll just stick with tessellation Ultra.

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

Excellent - thanks for that Bill. How's the performance difference on your machine between the two settings?

I was getting some scenery spikes at ultra on my 680 (but that was early days when I was still throwing everything and the kitchen sink into P3D). Might be worth a re-try...

Haven't tested that.. But...  Eyeballing it.. No.. I don't notice much if any of a difference but I've honestly not actually flown with in it set to ultra because it's useless where I fly right now.(flat-lander!. :)  You can see, once you get past the main features of Rainier the enhancement it adds isn't very dramatic so I've just kept it low because I honestly don't know the performance impact and siding with low till I know otherwise. :)

It just dawned on me.. Tessellation = Mesh Complexity in FSX renamed.. I've been dialog trolled! 

Holy cow time for bed..  Or.... Make coffee.....  ^_^

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Haven't tested that.. But...  Eyeballing it.. No.. I don't notice much if any of a difference but I've honestly not actually flown with in it set to ultra because it's useless where I fly right now.(flat-lander!. :)  You can see, once you get past the main features of Rainier the enhancement it adds isn't very dramatic so I've just kept it low because I honestly don't know the performance impact and siding with low till I know otherwise. :)

It just dawned on me.. Tessellation = Mesh Complexity in FSX renamed.. I've been dialog trolled! 

Holy cow time for bed..  Or.... Make coffee.....  ^_^

Close but not quite. From what I can tell, FSX is not doing additional subdivisions, but simply skipping over vertices as you reduce mesh complexity. Hardware tessellation in P3D v2 allows you to procedurally increase resolution using the GPU through subdivision algorithms. Do that on the CPU and things become much slower.

Jonathan "FRAG" Bleeker

Formerly known here as "Narutokun"

If I speak for my company without permission the boss will nail me down. So unless otherwise specified...Im just a regular simmer who expresses his personal opinion

Close but not quite. From what I can tell, FSX is not doing additional subdivisions, but simply skipping over vertices as you reduce mesh complexity. Hardware tessellation in P3D v2 allows you to procedurally increase resolution using the GPU through subdivision algorithms. Do that on the CPU and things become much slower.

Gotcha.. Thank you for the more technical answer.  We're all sorta learning here..  B)

Gotcha.. Thank you for the more technical answer. We're all sorta learning here.. B)

I kind understand what tessellation is doing. The question is, for me at least, is that better looking detail actually accurate or is it made up of a calculated and contrived version of vertices that were not there in the original?

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

I kind understand what tessellation is doing. The question is, for me at least, is that better looking detail actually accurate or is it made up of a calculated and contrived version of vertices that were not there in the original?

Chas

I think it still conforms to the installed mesh: it's just another method/tech of getting things done.

I saw people talk about it, explain it, define it, and I've seen people maxing it out.

What  I've yet to see someone show exactly what it does in game. I always knew what it was as many games use it now a days..

Before and after Low Vs Ultra

WARNING - 2.31MB / 1904x1002 animated GIF

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7430/11397243743_c8b3031af7_o.gif

Enjoy!

That's a pretty conservative use of tessellation it seems, so I'm not surprised there is not that big a FPS hit. I'm going to suspect its probably being more heavily used in the water effects.....

An example of what tessellation can do.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Is this still the case if you don't have hardware tesselation ticked? The tesselation factor slider is still there whichever is selected.

I'm currently running without hardware tesselation as I prefer the 'baked in' scenery shadows to the currently broken (and not far extending) dynamic scenery shadows. The rest of the shadows I can live without.

Do you get a performance gain going to low from ultra?

I get a performance gain using tesselation at higher settings than low - as long as GPU usage or memory is not already maxed out at 100% before that by lighting or shadows etc. This should be the case with most newer GPU's unless you have a 1 gb card and its already maxed before turning anything up. Turning this off can actually rob you of performance and you loose pushing the geometry to the GPU forcing it to the CPU. 

You need to throw conventional wisdom about tweaking FSX out the window it's a whole new ballgame. You need to tweak settings while watching both GPU and CPU usage.

huh - you don't say. I've really got to give this a try when I get home...

Is this still the case if you don't have hardware tesselation ticked? The tesselation factor slider is still there whichever is selected.

I'm currently running without hardware tesselation as I prefer the 'baked in' scenery shadows to the currently broken (and not far extending) dynamic scenery shadows. The rest of the shadows I can live without.

From what I can tell, without tessellation the mesh complexity is just hard set at what 100% would of been in FSX. 

So what tessellation is doing is indeed above and beyond what FSX was doing.

Although short, this turned out to be more informative than I imagined.. Awesome thread!