Sign in to follow this  

Reassuring little bit of news

I expect 6 months down the line and we all will be more than happy with the progress of the sim and addons :)

??

really

I have NEVER seen any lasting satisfaction here 

maybe a few hours after release of an upgrade/update/fix everyone is all giddy, then the next day it all restarts from negativity

:wacko:

Did you get your licence sorted?

Yes, I received an email from LM some 25 hours after I posted my mail on Sunday: it must have been around an 1 hour after they opened their office, so that's pretty quick. They simply revalidated my license without asking questions. They also told me the trick is to uninstall P3D 2.0 whenever you want to reinstall the OS: when you uninstall P3D (which I think should be done by running the installer and choosing the uninstall option and not the Windows remove programs option!) the servers will be notified of this and so you will be able to reinstall P3D later on. Because I didn't actually uninstall P3D, the activation server presumed it was still installed on my previous OS and that's why I could install it again.

I also posted this in the other topic but this is valuable information I don't mind posting again. ^_^

I also posted this in the other topic but this is valuable information I don't mind posting again. ^_^

Glad your sorted, and yes pretty prompt service. Valuable information for sure. I hope that after you install, the autogen issue goes away. That's certainly a strange one.

..it just means we'll patch it to resolve small issues, just like LM will be patching P3D2 to fix a myriad of their own bugs."

I love the difference between 'small' and 'myriad'.  :lol: 

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I purchased P3Dv2 on the day it was released and spent a few days trying it out, and being suitably impressed. My P3Dv2 install is still "virgin" and I haven't tried to add anyting to it. I'm going to hang back for few months and see how things pan out.

If you take a step back for a minute and try and look objectively at what's happened you might come to some interesting conclusions. The main thrust of P3Dv2 development was apparently to address the relatively poor performance of the old FSX graphics engine and make it use modern hardware more efficiently. It's apparent that LM have made some pretty extensive changes under the hood so to speak, so it shouldn't perhaps come as a surprise that so many FSX addons don't work properly in P3Dv2 - especially those that were developed outside of the FSX SDK. That some developers might have jumped the gun in telling us they were ready for P3Dv2 is also not really surprising, especially given a certain antipodean developer's pechant for marketing and product promotion. JV may or may not have intended to give the impression that Orbx was in lockstep with Lockheed, but I think it's only fair to say that we as a community are often too eager to hear what we want to hear and perhaps not what is actually being said.

The simple fact is a lot of people didn't join the dots correctly and believed that all their FSX addons would work in P3Dv2 from day one.

On the brighter side - one of the most often spoken criticisms I've heard of Orbx is that the object library that underpins their scenery is a real hodge podge of different work from different developers and is something of a mess. If Orbx are going to have to revisit their object library in order to standardise it then that can only be a good thing in the long run.

I've been with MSFS since FS98, so I've seen no less than four new versions released. What's interesting is how the drama and angst surrounding P3Dv2 is exactly the same sort of stuff that was being said of all the releases of MSFS that went before.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

I hope that after you install, the autogen issue goes away. That's certainly a strange one.

Well, it didn't. Unfortunately. I think the popping up simply depends on the situation. I noticed the popping while I flew around New York: big blocks of grey buildings would popup at once in the far away distance. No fading at ALL. Trees however seem to come into view more slowly somehow. But this could also simply have to do with the trees being a lot smaller than the buildings so you can hardly see them popping up. One thing is for sure: the autogen doesn't slowly fade into view. It still pops up. But the distance at which this happens is a lot greater than it is in FSX. Luckily I usually fly low and slow through mountains with lots of trees and there the popping is almost unnoticable. However, as soon as you start flying a bit higher, at more realistic altitudes, you do clearly see where the autogen ends.

So after a complete reinstall my conclusion is that LM did change how autogen appears and it is better for sure (no more popping up nearby and awesome autogen as far as the eye can see during take off and landings) but it still isn't perfect. I would love to get alpha fading back.

Since my topic about a dev waking up has been locked (for good reason) I'll post this here because I think it's good to know. It's nog big news but still something I'd like to post to keep things in balance. ^_^  

I had certain concerns about the communications between LM and 3PD's and in that locked topic I focused on Orbx, one of the biggest players. The lack of news on one side and certain remarks made by LM on the other, made me wonder if everything was going well or not when it came to P3D and add ons. 

Well, JV posted in a reply to a post of mine that he has contact with Wes Bard on a weekly basis. Yes, that's all LOL but still, for me this was good and reassuring news.  ^_^

He also said this: "All developers have to come to grips with certain things not working properly because of how alpha channels, texture compression choices and other minor things have been changed or rendered by the new engine (or modified engine). That does not mean FTXG is not compatible, it just means we'll patch it to resolve small issues, just like LM will be patching P3D2 to fix a myriad of their own bugs."

Again, I was happy with this 'news' and it restored that little bit of faith I had lost in the future of P3D.  ^_^ 

It is good to know for all of simmers that have Orbx sceneries that they are in contact with LM, what kind of contact we don't know, I don't know what purpose closing their thread can serve, wouldn't it be better to leave it open to reassure their customers by posting on what their talk/plan are for the future of their existing add on? I don't want to be a party pooper but I remember a lot of add on developers having talks with MS Flight developers, we all know where that went, lets hope for the best. 

JV may or may not have intended to give the impression that Orbx was in lockstep with Lockheed, but I think it's only fair to say that we as a community are often too eager to hear what we want to hear and perhaps not what is actually being said.

The simple fact is a lot of people didn't join the dots correctly and believed that all their FSX addons would work in P3Dv2 from day one.

On the brighter side - one of the most often spoken criticisms I've heard of Orbx is that the object library that underpins their scenery is a real hodge podge of different work from different developers and is something of a mess. If Orbx are going to have to revisit their object library in order to standardise it then that can only be a good thing in the long run.

Great points, I've been tagged as a troll here for giving my opinion several months ago to the fact that add on will not work 100% as they did before V2.0 as expected by the majority of P3D users because of the simple fact that LM was making major changes to their/FSX engine including the DX11 mod., well, today is here and major problems with add on are showing their ugly head as expected.

It will be up to the developers to make modification to their add on for them to be compatible with Pd3 V2.0, not LM, LM will have to fix their own bugs in P3D.

In my defense let me say this, I know I rub some members here the wrong way, maybe because I'm to blunt or else but the fact is that I have nothing against P3D, :sorry:  I want P3D to succeed for the right reasons,  :cray:  I always said what I was thinking and if wrong I don't mind been corrected at all, it may have been corrected one or twice before in my entire life (not according to my wife but that's for another thread).

I do not own P3D but I did some extensive testing with a good friend of mine who do own it, he has a VERY good top of the line PC (he can afford to get what ever new hardware is released the first day, and he does) so I think I can give my opinion on P3D here and there, and by the way, saying something that some do not want to hear may look negative to them but informative to others.

Great points, I've been tagged as a troll here for giving my opinion several months ago to the fact that add on will not work 100% as they did before V2.0 as expected by the majority of P3D users because of the simple fact that LM was making major changes to their/FSX engine including the DX11 mod., well, today is here and major problems with add on are showing their ugly head as expected.

Thanks. I too was tagged as a neagativer for stating current addons are not going to be fully compatible with V2 when those just insisted they would be. I too had seen the prerelease and seen many incompatibilty issues. Both textures and simconnect changes. This using addons is really harming the popularity rather than helping it. I asked for a refund  and actually had an email conversation with LM. I explained my situation, that being not being able to use my favorite and useful addons and they were totally understanding. I also made it a point I will also be a future customer but I didnt fell they needed my imput on making improvements as there seems to be many experts out there  and p3DV2 just doesnt fill my needs as is.

I do not own P3D but I did some extensive testing with a good friend of mine who do own it, he has a VERY good top of the line PC (he can afford to get what ever new hardware is released the first day, and he does) so I think I can give my opinion on P3D here and there, and by the way, saying something that some do not want to hear may look negative to them but informative to others.

I am doing EXTENSIVE testing with P3D2 many hours a day and I am happy with that. One week ago I was not impressed at all. If I had been testing it with a friend of mine I could be convinced that P3D2 is not working. It took patience and many days to sort it out.

Do you think that I am strange when I trust what I see more than what you remember?

Also, I do not know your friend, so I will say something quite general, not directly referring to him. Often, those who can afford top of the line hardware on day one do not have a clue on studying, observing, optimizing software behavior. On the contrary, some of those who can't afford a 2K system are pretty good at actually making things work.

Finally, you insist on the fact that there is something that some people do not want to hear. How do you know? 

As I also said:

What Lockheed Martin said was that Prepar3d V1.4/FSX  add-ons should work in V2.0 - not that all will work.

Obviously Lockheed Martin can't know the details of all add-ons nor how compliant they are with the SDKs so it's likely to be a matter of trial and error, just like the transition from FS9 to FSX

I am doing EXTENSIVE testing with P3D2 many hours a day and I am happy with that. One week ago I was not impressed at all. If I had been testing it with a friend of mine I could be convinced that P3D2 is not working. It took patience and many days to sort it out.

Do you think that I am strange when I trust what I see more than what you remember?

Also, I do not know your friend, so I will say something quite general, not directly referring to him. Often, those who can afford top of the line hardware on day one do not have a clue on studying, observing, optimizing software behavior. On the contrary, some of those who can't afford a 2K system are pretty good at actually making things work.

Finally, you insist on the fact that there is something that some people do not want to hear. How do you know? 

More power to you, and I mean it, I've never said that P3D V2.0 (vanilla) does not work, I said they have major bugs to ironed out, I know for a fact (after testing) that P3D v2.0 at medium settings > low is OK, try to set it with HDR + and more of the sliders to the right and crap start happening, as for my friend (including me) we know how way around a computer, just take my word for it.

It's not about what I remember, the data is still available to him and me, look at all the threads here on this forum and tell me what is the % of peoples not having major problems with V2.0 (vanilla or not) compare to peoples like you who are very satisfy with it, there is your answer, again, I'm not trying to be negative here but I won't say that P3D is worth the switch from FSX as I know it's not there in it present stage, whom ever can't fly without their favorite add on need not to jump in P3D band wagon yet, I'm not saying that P3D will never be the sim. of choice, what I'm saying is that P3D still has a looooong road ahead to get there, how long will it take for P3D to get there with all your favorite add on (and new one) working without a hitch....your guess is as good as mine.  

Well what I am saying from my direct experience is that P3D2 + ftxg + A2A 172 + OpenClouds with practically all settings on the right except autogen and traffic works amazingly well. And if you consider that Dense autogen in P3D2 = maximum autogen in FSX, there you go.

At least this is what I observe, and that's why I am happy with that: not an OOM, not a CTD, not a black screen in three days now (about 12 hours flying the A2A 172)

The temporary workaround to get the A2A 172 to work flawlessly in P3d2 was as simple as turning off mipmaps in the VC setting.

What's interesting that the official LM forum has very few complaints about P3d2. People reported bugs, LM has acknowledged them as reproducible and plans to fix most of them in an upcoming version 2.1. I haven't read more than a handful of posts there, where people stated that they were disappointed and had totally given up on P3d2. Why is that?

The temporary workaround to get the A2A 172 to work flawlessly in P3d2 was as simple as turning off mipmaps in the VC setting.

What's interesting that the official LM forum has very few complaints about P3d2. People reported bugs, LM has acknowledged them as reproducible and plans to fix most of them in an upcoming version 2.1. I haven't read more than a handful of posts there, where people stated that they were disappointed and had totally given up on P3d2. Why is that?

Your guess is as good as mine, if I had to guess I would say that there is less peoples complaining on P3D forum for the same reasons that there is less complaints about Orbx products on their own forum compare to Avsim's forum....just a guess.