Sign in to follow this  
Biermuskel

snow covered ground

hey..

I hope someone can help me with my issue.

I would like to know how i can disable the snow covered ground in fsx during fall/winter?  i dont use any particular ground addon like GEX or something similar. 

Thanks in advance

Intel Core i9-12900K | 16x 3.20 GHz, 30MB L3-Cache; Gigabyte Z690 AORUS AORUS Pro | Intel Z690; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12GB | Gigabyte Gaming OC; 2 TB Samsung 980 PRO PCIe 4.0; Meta Quest 2, HP Reverb G2 Rev 2

FWIW, I simply fly all my winter flights using an arbitrary date--like Nov 1--for all my flights and use wx (I use an add-on wx engine--Active Sky Next) taken from the actual date I fly or historical wx from Active Sky.

Yeah, that glaring, unbroken whiteness is annoying to me too.

thanks very good idea.. i also use a weather add-on (in my case REX). should solve my problem.. thanks for the reply

Intel Core i9-12900K | 16x 3.20 GHz, 30MB L3-Cache; Gigabyte Z690 AORUS AORUS Pro | Intel Z690; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12GB | Gigabyte Gaming OC; 2 TB Samsung 980 PRO PCIe 4.0; Meta Quest 2, HP Reverb G2 Rev 2

Of course you could change the date to a late spring thru early fall date but then why bother with real weather? So many annoying things about this sim, snow is the least of my worries. As long as I don't skid off the EOR with 90 folks a'screamin behind me, I can put up with a little snow.

Of course you could change the date to a late spring thru early fall date but then why bother with real weather?

Why bother with RW wx?  Because where I live here in West Virginia about 95% of our winter days have no visible snow while we may be "enjoying" snow squalls and/or reasonably strong wind (20 kts or more) and air temps of 15-20* F.  That's a series of reasons as to why an unbroken blanket of glaring white is not always accurate and RW WX may well be.

Just copy all textures containing *b2wi* (normal winter), place them in a temporary folder and rename them to *b2hw* (heavy winter). Then copy them back to your texture folder. No more snow in ANY temperate region, however.

Sascha

Set your default flight to early Sept (fall colors) then save it and disable "Use system time" in settings, bye bye snow 

Jay

As long as the snow is there in the real world too, what is the problem? I am not sure, but isn't snow coverage depicted the same as in the real world? So e.g., snow is reported in the weather reports so the ground is covered in snow, and when snow isn't reported everything is green. I have never really paid attention to it though, so perhaps snow is there by default on some locations...

I am not sure, but isn't snow coverage depicted the same as in the real world? So e.g., snow is reported in the weather reports so the ground is covered in snow, and when snow isn't reported everything is green.

No, not in the least.  FSX has generally crappy seasonal depictions.  On one day everything is green, the next everything is fall colors, and there is no relation whatsoever to what is actually outside and depicted in FSX. 

I have even seen snow on the ground in Florida, and the Red Desert of Australia. FSX is very flaky in regard to snow placement.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

No, not in the least.  FSX has generally crappy seasonal depictions.  On one day everything is green, the next everything is fall colors, and there is no relation whatsoever to what is actually outside and depicted in FSX. 

If you've got a better idea how to solve the transitions between seasons WITHOUT unnecessarily increasing the number of texture sets used, I'm very glad to hear it.

Not for implementation into FSX or P3D, of course, but to judge how much of a grasp you have of the tradeoffs necessary between accurate, but efficient seasonal terrain generation.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

I have even seen snow on the ground in Florida, and the Red Desert of Australia. FSX is very flaky in regard to snow placement.

+12.5

If you've got a better idea how to solve the transitions between seasons WITHOUT unnecessarily increasing the number of texture sets used, I'm very glad to hear it.

Not for implementation into FSX or P3D, of course, but to judge how much of a grasp you have of the tradeoffs necessary between accurate, but efficient seasonal terrain generation.

I'm sorry, I seem to have offended you for some reason.  No, I was not trying to imply I had a better idea, I was merely stating the obvious.

Again, my apologies.  Would you be happier if I deleted all my flight sim programming and never darkened your door again?

I'm sorry, I seem to have offended you for some reason.  No, I was not trying to imply I had a better idea, I was merely stating the obvious.

Again, my apologies.  Would you be happier if I deleted all my flight sim programming and never darkened your door again?

No, but gaining a bit more understanding of the inner workings of a flight simulator could help.

The depiction of seasons does not "suck", it simply adheres to limitations imposed by available computing power. If ACES could have done it any better within the timeframe spent on FSX, they bloody well would have. Thus, a little appreciation for what there is can't hurt.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

The depiction of seasons does not "suck"

Again, I seem to have offended you Sir.  I have reread my posts closely and nowhere do I ever use the word "suck".  I did use the words "generally crappy" because IM (not so) HO and the opinions of many others the seasonal depictions in FSX are generally agreed to be somewhat wanting and some might even say "crappy". But suck?  Never mentioned in any of my posts in this thread, although I many have indeed used that term somewhere else in the past.

Are you one of the original programmers of FSX?  You seem overly invested in trying to make others (me at least) bend to your will as to the level of programming excellence used in developing the FSX program.

Maybe a other christmas sale goes down the road, and some people are a little bit overstressed. :unsure:

Bruno